No stereo...?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

No stereo...?

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

So I was re-assembling my cars interior and I put in my new JVC headunit and plugged it in, hooked the battery up, and it didn't come on. Plugged in my old JVC out of my 88 that I knew worked and it didn't work either. Hooked both directly up to the battery and both HU's are good. My dome light works, my dash lights work, my headlights work, door chime works, everything works. Except my stereo won't get power and my horn won't work. All the fuses are good. What gives? Are the horn and stereo per chance on the same circuit? Or is it previous owner error? If I have to re-wire where do I get a 12v constant from?
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I like the 12v constant from the cigg lighter personally. But find the actual problem, don't just hackjob it like the previous owner.

I had similar issues recently, you may want to double check your fuses again, as mine ended up being a fuse. I forgot the name of which one it was, but it didn't seem to be something that'd protect the radio.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

Off to re-check them all. This car is wierd, the was a wire grounded to the flasher relay and pulling power off the radio fuse. I followed it up the A pilar into the headliner, it has a little plug in, it fits my radar detector but it was run to nothing and not even near the windsheild
CincinnatiFiero

No shit aaron, two 20A fuses in the back that go to something random were blown, replaced them and my HU kicked right on. Horn clicks, it doesn't blow tho. Possible the horn is just bad?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Also, disconnected or rust on the ground. Very likely its rusted through if connected.
CincinnatiFiero

I'll check the grounds today, I may just go ahead and upgrade to a different horn, never really liked the fiero horn.

This JVC is a bad ass headunit, I love it!
lucky

Post by lucky »

My Alpine got stolen at my last job. :angry:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

They're on the same fuse.

If the horn just clicks maybe its shorted and thats what caused the fuse to blow. Time for a new horn..
CincinnatiFiero

lucky80 wrote:My Alpine got stolen at my last job. :angry:
Well my shitty schoshe (sp) walmart install kit makes the headunit sit in just deep enough that you can't pop the face plate off. I need to redrill the thing and try to move it forward so I can pop the faceplate off.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I had a direct fit unit from metra, car was parked 15' out the front door of the store, didn't matter. Then again, the personal vehicle of a town cop was stolen within spitting distance from where my radio got ripped off, coulda been worse.