New electrical gremlin

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

lucky

New electrical gremlin

Post by lucky »

Started yesterday. Turned on the headlights, the dash lights didn't come on; everything functions, but no backlighting. I flick the headlight switch on/off a couple times they come on and stay on. Made a few stops on the way home, each time I had to flip the switch at least twice. Tonight I flipped the switch, lights came right on. Drove to the store, turned off the car, dash wouldn't light up when I restarted, tried a few times. One more stop on the way home, tried a half a dozen times, wouldn't light up. When I got home, I decided to see if it lit up with just the running lights. Works every time. With the running lights on, add the headlights to the equation, the dash stays lit until the motors shut off, then goes out; happened 5 out of 5 times I tried it. Headlight switch just crap out? Or think somethin else is possibly going on? I've got a spare headlight switch (didn't see that coming, did ya?) might clean it up and plug it in anyway, see what happens.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I think someone on Old Europe just had this problem, can't remember who it was.

Did you fiddle with the dimmer switch?
Honest Don

Post by Honest Don »

try the other switch
lucky

Post by lucky »

ya, dimmer works like it should when the dash is illuminated. going to work right now, i'm off tomorrow, i'll try the other switch then.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The dimmer seems to go bad pretty easy. Mine is either on or off, if I try to dim it, I lose dash lights all together.
<Insert Sig Here>
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

had this same issue years ago, turned out to be a faulty isolator relay, not to mention the aftermarket foglights tied into the system. May or may not help :scratch:
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
lucky

Post by lucky »

Other switch looks like ass, but seems to be working properly so far.
Which relay would that be, off hand, just in case..