Cadillac electric trunk motor diagrams?

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

txf

Cadillac electric trunk motor diagrams?

Post by txf »

Does anyone have a haynes, or chiltons with the wiring diagrams for the trunk latch system? I picked up the upper and lower parts today BUT they just cut the wires off. Plus I think they got the parts from two different cars. I just need a couple scans of the diagrams if anyone has them.

Info on what I have
Electric motor - pulldown part / 4 Wires Black- Orange- Red- Red/blk
Trunk Release motor/ Black- Black/wht I understand this part
Closed/open switch is a SPDT/ Red/blk- Orange/blk- Black

On the SPDT the Black connects Orange/blk (OPEN) for the light and Red/blk Closed for the motor or a relay not sure which

Red/blk is a Trunk Ajar Light
To raise the catch (open) RED=12v Black = GND Orange = 12v
To lower the latch (close) RED=gnd Black=12v Orange=12v

The Orange wire I take it as an ACTION wire.

I think what I have missing is a DPDT relay.

If someone could make that scan for me I would be greatly obliged and would post the information to make this modification on your own.
txf

Post by txf »

Ok I figured it out. From the wires and their operation I figured out that they are close to backwards from how I actually got the setup to work. I had to use a relay to flip-flop the polarity compared to if the trunk was open or closed. The wire I originally thaught did this may have been an indicator wire. But I'm not sure without actually seeing diagrams. But all in all I do have a working system using one relay. Now will I share this with all? No. Will I share with some Yes if I feel you deserve it.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

I'd love to see it installed - how well does the setup fit?
txf

Post by txf »

Not sure yet I just got the wiring figured out. I will tell in due time how it fits when I get it installed.
txf

Post by txf »

Got it figured out and working. I need to go back and build mounts for everything but for now I know it works. And it was much easier than I thaught. At this time it's pulling down just a hair too far maybe about 1/16" - 1/8" This was an easyone!!!

Click for Video 13MEgs
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

Thats cool! :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Third gen F-bodies had that also. In those cars it was mounted on plastic which would break when the decklid was slammed or closed hard. Finding one that's not broken is tough these days.

Nice work.
txf

Post by txf »

This one the motor assembly is all plastic. Clear plastic at that = fragile. So I understand it. But really Who needs to slam trunks and hoods? I had a latch that wouldn't latch if you just dropped the hood. Took it to get the oil changed and the kid working on it finished when he shut the hood he slammed it! I watched this through the glass then ran out there The kid slammed it several times before I got his attention and grabbed the hood set it down and with one finger pushed it closed. Why so rough?
stimpy
Who wants Ice Cream?

Post by stimpy »

Even worse is when they feel like they need to use your 20 year old wing for a handle to do the slamming. And then push down hard on it just to make sure. I nearly popped an artery over that one.
txf

Post by txf »

I guess next time I'm lazy and don't want to change my own oil or something I'll have to draw up an instruction manual on what Not To Do and have them sign it so they'd be liable. This is stupid stuff and they don't care. In the video I mearly squeezed the lid shut. Once it clicked the motor did the rest of the work. Hmm. Headlight motor actuator to automatically open and close decklid... Hmmm that's an idea but I don't think I'll do it. I'm not that lazy.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The Fiero isn't too bad in this respect, but it takes so much force to close an F-body decklid against the gas struts, and then so little force to click the latch and let the motor do its thing that it's kinda pointless to have the motor... no surprise at all that they get broken.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

damn that shit is sweet. cool little thing noone else has.

Nice work. :thumbleft:
txf

Post by txf »

I'll get a how to drawn up with Wiring diagrams for ya'll.
Fast88Fiero

Post by Fast88Fiero »

I got one of these auto trunk closer motors off of a 93 cadillac deville today. :thumbleft: We're parting the car out (hit a deer) and putting the engine in a 87 coupe with the 5 speed. I also got the auto dimming mirror for my Fiero.
txf

Post by txf »

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/053338.html

I don't think I'll tell. It's funny I gave them all the info they need but they still want you to hold their hand or do it for them.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

this post should be moved, and then over there you can tell them that if they want details they have to join here.

heheheh
txf

Post by txf »

this post requires registered users to view already why move it?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Does it? hell I didnt' know that.