88 Fiero Wheel Choices

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Thanks. You need to turn the wheel straight though. Those pics don't help.. Due to the scrub radius, they will get pushed out as you turn the wheel left. Notice they stick out from the front part of the fender? The whole wheel will stick out a bit when turned straight. Or are you just running a LOT of toe?

If that IS with the wheels straight ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't actually the width and offset you think they are. Are they stamped? I have seen wheels with the width and offset you claim to have on an 88 and they don't look like that. 17x8 45mm sticks out 10mm further than my current wheels (17x7 42mm) and I think mine don't tuck enough. Did you actually mean 17x7 45mm? I will try to remember to get a pic of my wheels tomorrow to compare.

How much camber are you running?
FFS dude, now I need to make sure the wheel was pointing straight? Because if you think they are in that pic, you'd be retarded. God damn now I dont know how to order and verify wheel size? Would you like for me to fucking take a pic of the wheel size too? Quit trying so hard to quantify your choice in size & offset.
Yes you DO need to make sure the wheel is pointing straight. The front of your wheel is pointing way out the fucking fender, even considering the taper of the fenders. With the wheel turned for a picture of how the wheel fits, its like taking a picture of how much you lowered your car is when its loaded down with 500 lbs of cargo -- completely useless.
You trying to hide the fact that your wheels are the wrong damn offset to fit properly on 88 Fiero front suspension? Why else would you have posted a direct side shot to show us "how well" your wheels fit in relation to the fender, and then post a pic with the damn wheel turned. FFS, learn some geometry.
:bootyshake:

Last I checked, size & offset are QUANTITIES and I know what mine are, so how is that I'm "trying so hard" to quantify it rather than just actually doing so. The reason I asked you to post pics of yourwheel offsets is because I know they're wrong for the 88 front but you seem to think they don't stick out.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Here is 17x7 38mm on the front, and 18x9 38mm on the rear of an 88. Notice the front pokes out a little bit. To have the outer edge at the same position as this with a 17x8 would require 51mm offset, and clearly you'd want more than that if you don't want it to poke out. To stay at the same outer position as stock, you'd need 62mm offset for an 8-inch wide rim. Unfortunately, nobody makes that..

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Just an FYI, there's a guy right now on Pfiffle that's selling a nice set of Enkei's with good '88 offsets for $700!! That is an awesome price for the wheels and tires.

They aren't perfect. With a 7.5" wheel, it would be nice to have a 53mm offset, but it still shouldn't poke. It's still a great deal.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum4/HTML/044260.html
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

God wrote:Just an FYI, there's a guy right now on Pfiffle that's selling a nice set of Enkei's with good '88 offsets for $700!! That is an awesome price for the wheels and tires.

They aren't perfect. With a 7.5" wheel, it would be nice to have a 53mm offset, but it still shouldn't poke. It's still a great deal.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum4/HTML/044260.html
Nice!! Thanks for the heads up. The offset is a bit low (ends up putting the wheel at the same place as as 7" 42mm) but that's a good deal and they will fit okay. I have some 17x7 42mms on my car right now and they're okay; with it lowered a lot and a lot of camber they don't poke out.
Wish I had the $$$ I'd pick those up and put race tires on them for the track.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:Here is 17x7 38mm on the front, and 18x9 38mm on the rear of an 88. Notice the front pokes out a little bit. To have the outer edge at the same position as this with a 17x8 would require 51mm offset, and clearly you'd want more than that if you don't want it to poke out. To stay at the same outer position as stock, you'd need 62mm offset for an 8-inch wide rim. Unfortunately, nobody makes that..

http://stsnyder.bol.ucla.edu/fiero/17x7front38mm.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. Got more info/pics?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:the front of this red car looks perfect to me. In back, I'd change tires to 1 size less wide, and ons series taller, like going from 35 to 40 series. I've overheard alot of comments at alot of car shows as ist seems goofy to many people to have shorter rear sidewalls. Just my 2 cents worth.
I think the front looks too low. Fieros have very large wheel arches and really look better with taller tires than stock at stock ride height.

Also, I know that the '88 geometry gets worse as the car is lowered, so lowered '88's don't look right to me.
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Series8217 wrote:
Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Thanks. You need to turn the wheel straight though. Those pics don't help.. Due to the scrub radius, they will get pushed out as you turn the wheel left. Notice they stick out from the front part of the fender? The whole wheel will stick out a bit when turned straight. Or are you just running a LOT of toe?

If that IS with the wheels straight ahead, I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't actually the width and offset you think they are. Are they stamped? I have seen wheels with the width and offset you claim to have on an 88 and they don't look like that. 17x8 45mm sticks out 10mm further than my current wheels (17x7 42mm) and I think mine don't tuck enough. Did you actually mean 17x7 45mm? I will try to remember to get a pic of my wheels tomorrow to compare.

FFS dude, now I need to make sure the wheel was pointing straight? Because if you think they are in that pic, you'd be retarded. God damn now I dont know how to order and verify wheel size? Would you like for me to fucking take a pic of the wheel size too? Quit trying so hard to quantify your choice in size & offset.
Yes you DO need to make sure the wheel is pointing straight. The front of your wheel is pointing way out the fucking fender, even considering the taper of the fenders. With the wheel turned for a picture of how the wheel fits, its like taking a picture of how much you lowered your car is when its loaded down with 500 lbs of cargo -- completely useless.
You trying to hide the fact that your wheels are the wrong damn offset to fit properly on 88 Fiero front suspension? Why else would you have posted a direct side shot to show us "how well" your wheels fit in relation to the fender, and then post a pic with the damn wheel turned. FFS, learn some geometry.

Last I checked, size & offset are QUANTITIES and I know what mine are, so how is that I'm "trying so hard" to quantify it rather than just actually doing so. The reason I asked you to post pics of yourwheel offsets is because I know they're wrong for the 88 front but you seem to think they don't stick out.
Tried to hide something? Look here asshole, I went in my garage at nearly midnight to snap off a pic of the wheels to appease you. If you dont like how I did it then fuck off! Seriously. I'm not here satisfy your curiosity so take it down a few notches hotrod. Now if you dont like that, come take some pics and measurements your damn self.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Bonestock wrote:
Series8217 wrote:
Bonestock wrote:

Tried to hide something? Look here asshole, I went in my garage at nearly midnight to snap off a pic of the wheels to appease you. If you dont like how I did it then fuck off! Seriously. I'm not here satisfy your curiosity so take it down a few notches hotrod. Now if you dont like that, come take some pics and measurements your damn self.
Alrighty then. :salute:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Here is 17x7 38mm on the front, and 18x9 38mm on the rear of an 88. Notice the front pokes out a little bit. To have the outer edge at the same position as this with a 17x8 would require 51mm offset, and clearly you'd want more than that if you don't want it to poke out. To stay at the same outer position as stock, you'd need 62mm offset for an 8-inch wide rim. Unfortunately, nobody makes that..

http://stsnyder.bol.ucla.edu/fiero/17x7front38mm.jpg

That looks pretty sweet. Got more info/pics?
Yeah that's KoolJess' car. I think he got different size fronts now, but I'm not totally certain. IMO they stick out a bit too much in front. There should be pics on Old Europe, try searching for his name. I'll see what I can dig up.

EDIT: Try these: http://stsnyder.bol.ucla.edu/fiero/some88wheels.zip
Bonestock

Post by Bonestock »

Some people dont quite understand offset and how a wheel will set in relation to the body.

On the ET the HIGHER the number the more the wheel will be "sunk" into the body. The lower the number, the further it will be pushed AWAY from the car.

I was told a 17x8 ET45 & 18x8 ET35 would stick out. I say they are flush!

for the haters :stfu:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

It does look to me like the front pokes out in the second pic (the top of the fender is to the left of the top of the tire..) but at least not low-rida style. It looks fine on your car though because you picked rear offsets that put them in about the same place relative to the body.

I noticed the opposite condition with my new wheels; my fronts look wrong even though they don't poke out, because my rears stick in too far. I need some 12mm spacers or so.