I've got a question about 180* headers

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

I've got a question about 180* headers

Post by Aaron »

This is going to sound really noobish, but that's ok. I haven't yet built a set of 180* headers, but everytime I see a set (After taking care of my man parts), I wonder, how the fuck do you get them off?

So, if anyone would, please share the wealth. How the hell do you remove a 180* set of headers? Do the collectors just slide off of the primaries? Then what keeps them sealing?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Here's an example set (Actually for a Fiero).

I can clearly see the primaries welded to the collector. The cylinder heads and valve covers on a SBC get wider above the exhaust ports, so you can't lift both headers up together. The only way I can think of would be to lower the headers, then lift the back side as you push the front down, and sliding them away from the engine over the tranny. But I just can't imagine there being enough room for that.

Do you just have to design them so they can be removed together?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
emod19

Post by emod19 »

Most 180* headers use slip on collectors. The slip fit is usually pretty tight. A large rubber mallet is generally required to install the collectors.

Steve
1985 Mazda RX7 w/400 sbc
Removed it's soul, Gave it some balls.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've also seen pics of setups in which the crossing tubes were flanged.

I've read the page that picture came from. I don't think that guy intended to be able to remove them in the car.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I've seen that page too, best v8 headers I've ever seen in a fiero.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

The set of 180 SBC headers I purchased came with slip on collectors, but are not as tight as I would like them. For an EFI car, you really can not have any exhaust leaks before the O2 sensor, so a tight sealing collector is a requirement (more so then on a carb stock car) .

I am still kicking around the pros/cons of the slip vs. welded 180 header options, but I am leaning to the fully welded 1 peice style.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

emod19 wrote:Most 180* headers use slip on collectors. The slip fit is usually pretty tight. A large rubber mallet is generally required to install the collectors.

Steve
Ok, that makes sense. If and when I make a set though, I think Will's idea/suggestion would be best - using flanged crossover tubes. I wonder if they make V-bands that small.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

With a SBC the exhaust ports point down, right? So it doesn't really matter as long as you can drop the exhaust down off the engine. If they're stainless then there's no reason for them to really come off, I guess. :la:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

whipped wrote:With a SBC the exhaust ports point down, right? So it doesn't really matter as long as you can drop the exhaust down off the engine. If they're stainless then there's no reason for them to really come off, I guess. :la:
They can be dropped on most SBC applications, although on the custom ones, where they go on top of the transmission, it can't be done as easily. They need to be taken off at some point, if nothing else for the welding :thumbleft:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
whipped

Post by whipped »

Just get some cast iron heads and weld the pipes on direct. Done.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Fuck that. I'll get cast iron heads, and weld on the valve covers and the intake manifold. Gaskets cost too much.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo