Different wastegate style?

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Different wastegate style?

Post by Aaron »

I've been thinking about it for the past week or so, and it seems that wastegates could be installed backwards, and perform better.

On turbocharged cars, the exhaust before the turbine is actually under pressure, as the turbine is a big restriction. How much pressure, I'm not sure, but it is some. Enough to, in addition with the heat, kill oxygen sensors in high output setups. We all know that wastegates start to open before their set boost pressure, causing lag to be worse. Well, in addition to the manifold pressure causing them to creep open, exhaust pressure adds to that. How much, I'm not sure, I haven't actually hooked a boost gauge up to my Y-pipe yet. But even 1psi on a very low boost application (Like mine, 8.7psi), would cause the wastegate to creep open even earlier, further worsening lag.

So what if we just put the wastegate on "backwards," so that the exhaust pressure actually pushes the valve closed more? Much like my BOV, where the intake pressure actually seals it with more pressure. My highly detailed, scaled, blueprint for CNC machining (Blue is manifold pressure, red is exhaust pressure). On the left is how the wastegate is supposed to be bolted on, on the right is my thinking:

Thoughts? I'd try it, but I don't think I have enough room to turn the WG. Anyone else want to try? It should rotate right around, and still bolt in fine. Shaun, care to try?

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The exhaust pressure isn't enough to open the wastegate. Take your boost reference line off the wastegate, and let me know when the wastegate cracks open under boost. IT will be well after you see 35 psi.

Not only but the wastegate itself won't last long with the heat generated by the exhaust if turned around backwards. You would burn the diaphragm and everything else up in short time.

also I don't see a pic.

What you are describing as the wastegate opening before its preset spring pressure can be addressed with a electronic boost controller. So there are already fixes to this problem.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Different wastegate style?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:On turbocharged cars, the exhaust before the turbine is actually under pressure, as the turbine is a big restriction. How much pressure, I'm not sure, but it is some.
Backpressure is higher than boost in any streetable application.
Aaron wrote: So what if we just put the wastegate on "backwards," so that the exhaust pressure actually pushes the valve closed more? Much like my BOV, where the intake pressure actually seals it with more pressure.
What would open the wastegate if exhaust gas is holding it closed?

Under normal operation, a spring holds it closed and boost opens it. If the spring AND the turbo backpressure are holding it closed, it'll never open because backpressure goes up faster than boost.

Also, as Shaun said, it's probably not meant for that continual exposure to heat and pressure. What's the housing made of?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:The exhaust pressure isn't enough to open the wastegate. Take your boost reference line off the wastegate, and let me know when the wastegate cracks open under boost. IT will be well after you see 35 psi.
Maybe not by itself, but added to manifold pressure, it opens the valve prematurely, because it now has 2 forces working together to open it - despite only needing the one.
Not only but the wastegate itself won't last long with the heat generated by the exhaust if turned around backwards. You would burn the diaphragm and everything else up in short time.

also I don't see a pic.

What you are describing as the wastegate opening before its preset spring pressure can be addressed with a electronic boost controller. So there are already fixes to this problem.
Again, maybe. The housing is made to take the heat. EGTs are fairly low most of the time, so the only time it will get really hot is when you're on the throttle hard, boosting. But that's the same for the normal operation too. I think it'd last, there are cars out there that get the entire wastegate glowing, with only one dyno run, and these same cars running full boost for hours straight in racing apps. We're not getting our's nearly that hot.

Pic works fine, your comp is fucked dude. My pics are generic photobuckets, with img wraps. Everyone else sees them.

So why spend $300 for this, when my $20 MBC and the WG I already have will do the same thing?
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Backpressure is higher than boost in any streetable application.
If this is true, and at the same RPM, then my theory would be completely correct, and the exhaust would be opening the WG well before the engine has max boost. I don't think this is quite correct Will, as it'd take forever to get to max boost, because the WG would be held wide open before the engine is at max boost.
What would open the wastegate if exhaust gas is holding it closed?
Manifold pressure is supposed to be what opens the wastegate. You have a reference line (Blue in my pic), go from the manifold to the bottom of the WG. You would have a boost spike, not sure how much, as it gets to max boost, but it would fall back down to your spring pressure fairly quickly. If it's only a pound or two, I'd have no problems with that if the response was noticeably better.
Under normal operation, a spring holds it closed and boost opens it. If the spring AND the turbo backpressure are holding it closed, it'll never open because backpressure goes up faster than boost.

Also, as Shaun said, it's probably not meant for that continual exposure to heat and pressure. What's the housing made of?
But if backpressure is pushing it open, won't it open fully before your engine ever gets to max boost? I have a 8.7psi spring. If my backpressure gets to 8.7, it will open the wastegate fully. Then there won't be enough exhaust flow to the turbine to even get the engine to 8.7psi. So how am I seeing 8.7psi?

Paste from TiAL's website:

- 347 Stainless Steel Alloy is used for valve and valve housing.

- High temperature silicone Nomex reinforced actuator diaphragm.

- 17-7 PH Stainless Steel actuator spring gives consistent pressure at high temperature, resists "relaxing" at temperature to 900F (483C).

- Nitronic 60 Stainless Steel is used for the valve seat, and valve bushing the same material used in the higher level gates for reliability and longevity.

- CNC Machined 304L 12mm thick weld flanges.

- Color anodized 6061-T651 aluminum actuator (Silver, Red, Blue, Purple, Black).
Last edited by Aaron on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd be more than willing to try this on my car, except I'm pretty positive I don't have the room. I barely have enough room for it as it is...

Don't TiALs have a lifetime warranty? Try it Shaun, you've got the room right?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

A lot of guys are running CO2 to their wastegates. Its cheap and you can control your boost a lot better that way. Your bottle pressure is always going to be a hell of a lot higher than any boost you can generate. You can control it with a solonoid and keep bottle pressure at the valve (keeping it closed so that it doesn't prematurely open as exhaust pressure increases) and can vent immediately, opening the valve at what ever pressure you desire.

I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that but I have no need to try it, and therefore don't know all the details. I'm sure google would be able to help you out.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

That's not a bad idea either. For me though, it's a bit overkill to mount an entire pressurized CO2 system to drive a WG that's working quite good enough as it is.

I doubt I have the need for it either. My turbo timing is what sucks, but this won't really help that, this will just help lag. I don't really have any lag. But it's an interesting concept. If it could be better, with the same parts I already have, why not try it?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote: Backpressure is higher than boost in any streetable application.
If this is true, and at the same RPM, then my theory would be completely correct, and the exhaust would be opening the WG well before the engine has max boost. I don't think this is quite correct Will, as it'd take forever to get to max boost, because the WG would be held wide open before the engine is at max boost.
A) It is true, whether you want to believe it or not.

B) What's the seat load on your spring?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron + physics and engineering = :confused:
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I didn't read all of this, but maybe you could rig something using a half a dozen used EGR valves??
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Wastegates are for pussies. Weld that shit closed, and go for it. :la: