Best gaming platform evar?

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

whipped

Best gaming platform evar?

Post by whipped »

Here's what I want - something that plays good games that are out now. AND, the ability to play old games. Like SNES emulators, etc.

Thoughts? xbox? 360? PS3? 2?
lucky

Post by lucky »

360 hands down. You can get tons of 8 bit games through the online arcade, with patches/downloads you can play original xbox games, it integrates with Media Center so you can stream all your pics/vids/music, and Netflix has a new service where you can download movies that expire after a couple days.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

PS3 of course.

Install Linux.

Install emulators.

Enjoy.

Why buy a system you can't play Metal Gear Solid 4 on?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

lucky80 wrote:360 hands down. You can get tons of 8 bit games through the online arcade,
SNES is 16-bit.

NES had some good games........ but SNES.. woohah!
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Gaming PC out of the question?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Nice chart :thumbleft:

Get a PC, I can play old, current, and future games :la:

Course, it cost about $1500 to build.
DiggityBiggity

Post by DiggityBiggity »

Series8217 wrote:Why buy a system you can't play Metal Gear Solid 4 on?
Are you for real? What do you mean play??? I hope you mean WATCH... that fucking game is a movie, period. You spend more time watching one cinematic than ALL game play combined.

I have played both systems extensively, for what you're looking for, I would go 360, hands down.
lucky

Post by lucky »

Series8217 wrote:
lucky80 wrote:...
SNES is 16-bit.

NES had some good games........ but SNES.. woohah!
You don't have to tell me that. My SNES still functions beautifully, and I bought a Gamecube S-Video cable so I could hook it up to my 42" plasma.
I just started replaying DKC and FFIII this week.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I was playing Gran Turismo 2 today on my ps2. One of my favorite games ever.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Pretty sure I saw a xbox hack posted here to install linux as well, that available for the 360 too?

I should point out that I'm not specifically looking for 8 bit arcade games, but if I want to play sonic the hedgehog or SMB3, dammit, I should be able to play!

I want a genesis/NES/SNES/atari/N64/___ all in one!

PC is out of the question, I want controllers, TV output and small size. I know you can get all that with a PC but for less than a $200 console? I don't think so...
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

whipped wrote: I want a genesis/NES/SNES/atari/N64/___ all in one!

PC is out of the question, I want controllers, TV output and small size. I know you can get all that with a PC but for less than a $200 console? I don't think so...
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-06-GHZ-Pentium-4- ... 286.c0.m14

Go to Radio Shack and get a VGA to S-video tail. Go to goodwill and pick up a nice controller out of their stockpile for $3.00. I play snes on my 400mhz cell phone.
lucky

Post by lucky »

The Linux hack for the XBOX was here in "anything goes" IIRC it was labeled "anyone try this?" posted by FGT.
I haven't heard anything about one for the 360 yet, but that's the operative word- someone will hack it sooner or later.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

DiggityBiggity wrote:
Series8217 wrote:Why buy a system you can't play Metal Gear Solid 4 on?
Are you for real?
No Diggity, I'm just a computer program created by your Evil Government to control the minds of people so they do not purchase Microsoft products.
What do you mean play??? I hope you mean WATCH... that fucking game is a movie, period. You spend more time watching one cinematic than ALL game play combined.
I played through the game twice and the second time I skipped the cinematics and I still enjoyed it and had plenty of gameplay time.

What "one cinematic" are you talking about? Have you even played through the damn game or are you just reciting more crap you've heard from people who don't know what they're talking about? OH wait, it's obvious.
The fastest speed run through the game is a little less than 4 hours. There is NO four hour cinematic. A normal play through the game is about 16 to 20 hours without the cinematics. There are about 9 hours total of cinematics. The longest is about an hour. They are better than many movies I have seen. Can I have my thermite back?
The Dark Side of Will wrote:<excellent flowchart>
Very nice! I would say that's pretty accurate.

For what it's worth, I've been gaming since 1990 and I started on consoles (NES). I became an avid PC gamer in 1993.

I'm going to go back to playing Fallout 2 now and crying for the Black Isle crew and the loss of their child.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Depends on what kind of games you want to play. PC for FPS ( Xbox made a total hack of COD for example ), driving games probably a console.

Yes, 'puters are far more expensive, but then again, you really never have to buy a game for it. Buy a couple hundred games for your console, and then look back at the overall cost.

BTW, any you fuckers play COD4 online?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

I admin this server and lead a 22 person clan. Come check it out sometime. My username is =S&C=Emc209i
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

I still suggest PCs, though the recent trend of making a game for the console then half-assing the port over to the PC is really pissing me off.

Bioshock is extremely frustrating, Unreal Tournament 3, I've heard similar about Fallout 3 though haven't played it yet.

For the size, I think my Pc is about the size of two Consoles side by side, 13 1/2 inches tall and 8 inches wide. And you don't really need to spend the $1500 i did, you can build a nice PC for much less.

Consoles are nice in their pick-up and go way, just plug it in and you're good. I like the PC because you can change and upgrade whatever you want. PC never Red-Rings either :thumbleft:
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

jelly2m8 wrote:Depends on what kind of games you want to play. PC for FPS ( Xbox made a total hack of COD for example ), driving games probably a console.
PC for RPGs too. Otherwise SNES or PS2.
Can't play Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 & 2, Diablo, various MMORPGs, etc, on any consoles..
lucky

Post by lucky »

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 2 Baldur's gate games for the xbox. Were the PC games something other than dungeon crawl?
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

lucky80 wrote:I didn't think there was anything wrong with the 2 Baldur's gate games for the xbox. Were the PC games something other than dungeon crawl?
The console BG games weren't even in the same genre as the Baldur's Gate trilogy. The console games may have been called "Baldur's Gate" but they weren't in any way.

You really enjoyed them? I thought they were crap. I was looking for a gauntlet-like game to play with my friend we rented Dark Aliiance 2.. Tried playing through it and had to stop after one or two hours. Very very very poorly designed game. Unfortunately, it wasn't even fun. It was a Gauntlet clone minus the fun.

Those games had nothing to do with the original games. Baldur's Gate is a semi-realtime (freely pausable) AD&D story-based roleplaying game. It's not a dungeon crawl at all, though there are some dungeon adventures in part of it. The game faithfully implements the AD&D rule system from the pen and paper game; if you turn on pause after each round it basically becomes turn-based AD&D.

It uses the Infinity graphics engine, albeit heavily updated from what it was in Fallout 1 & 2, uses an RTS-like user interface, etc. It is an epic game.. 50+ hours of gameplay in the whole trilogy (probably more like 80 hours), and the story is on par with RPGs like Fallout 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, most of the Final Fantasy games, Xenogears, etc. Definitely one of the best story and gameplay experiences I've had on any system. The soundtrack is a full orchestra for many tracks, it's very good. You can find a lot of it on youtube.

The politics and finances of the whole action spinoff/ripoff thing were pretty bad. Interplay fired the whole Black Isle Studios team (the developers who made Fallout 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2, Torment, and who with Bioware made the original Baldur's Gate games), then used the trademark to badge the Dark Alliance action game spinoffs to fool people into thinking they were really Black Isle games. Zero people from Black Isle worked on those games. They got a lot of flak from the fans for doing that, just like when they tried to make a Fallout console action game spinoff (which was also total crap and tanked in the market)....

... and Interplay promptly experienced financial death after having destroyed two of their best franchises (Baldur's Gate and Fallout) and then filed for bankruptcy. They ran out of money many many years ago. The Fallout franchise only got sold to Bethesda because Interplay's sole employee (owner Herve Caen) was trying to stay afloat. The creators and developers of Fallout were not happy about their game being sold to the highest bidder; they wanted the rights to their game to develop a new sequel. Bethesda never had anything to do with the game and all they've done now is make another action spinoff, although a bit more professionally executed than the last.