Does Unplugging the EGR noid disable EGR function?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Xanth

Does Unplugging the EGR noid disable EGR function?

Post by Xanth »

Like title says, if I unplug the EGR solenoid does that also disable the EGR function in the ecm?

Or will the ecm continue to adjust the timing as if the EGR was actually working?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The ECM will detect that the EGR is non-functional, light the MIL and revert to non-EGR operating parameters.

However, I don't think it looks for a load on the solenoid circuit... it may use IAT or similar to detect EGR operation.
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I ran my 88GT with blocked off EGR and plugged the line and never threw a code in the year I drove it like that. So I dunno, my car ran fine.

FUCK I was saving post number 1000. well shit there it is.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:The ECM will detect that the EGR is non-functional, light the MIL and revert to non-EGR operating parameters.

However, I don't think it looks for a load on the solenoid circuit... it may use IAT or similar to detect EGR operation.
IAT is upstream of the EGR so it doesn't use that. I think it monitors the O2 sensor voltage to detect EGR function under specific conditions.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

My EGR has been blocked off for awhile, though I only recently learned that timing is actually adjusted during use which is why I was wondering.

I'll see if just unplugging the solenoid throws a code.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Series8217 wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:The ECM will detect that the EGR is non-functional, light the MIL and revert to non-EGR operating parameters.

IAT is upstream of the EGR so it doesn't use that. I think it monitors the O2 sensor voltage to detect EGR function under specific conditions.
Tru dat... wasn't thinking about where the sensor is.
Xanth wrote:My EGR has been blocked off for awhile, though I only recently learned that timing is actually adjusted during use which is why I was wondering.

I'll see if just unplugging the solenoid throws a code.
If you'e had it blocked off, it *should* be throwing the EGR code on highway drives. How long since you saw your MIL light? Is it burned out? :thumbleft:
CincinnatiFiero

That was my thought with my car too but when I'd leave my dome lights on them try to crank my car or if I bogged it hard or something my MIL light would kick on. Driving without the EGR blocked off never threw the MIL.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

My light works, turns on during the Bulb Test.

The Fiero ECM definitely checks the exhaust for EGR function, or we just believe it does?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I have the EGR on the Storm Trooper blocked and it throws the EGR code.
lucky

Post by lucky »

I was getting a code on the highway when the plenum passage was clogged.
Why disconnect it? Just cause you can with the new MA standards?
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

lucky80 wrote:I was getting a code on the highway when the plenum passage was clogged.
Why disconnect it? Just cause you can with the new MA standards?
Because I don't want my timing to be advancing, since the EGR isn't actually functioning. I blocked mine off because the Y-Pipe mounting point is all buggered up and can't seal.

Did the Mass standards actually change? Do we not need to pass emissions anymore? I'd heard rumors of that.
lucky

Post by lucky »

According to my friend Joe (who is a licensed MA inspector), as of 10/1/08 there is no longer any emissions testing on OBDI vehicles in MA. I also inquired if he still had to do a visual check for factory emissions components, he said no. Your MIL does still have to be off and not show in the history to pass though.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

lucky80 wrote:According to my friend Joe (who is a licensed MA inspector), as of 10/1/08 there is no longer any emissions testing on OBDI vehicles in MA. I also inquired if he still had to do a visual check for factory emissions components, he said no. Your MIL does still have to be off and not show in the history to pass though.
That is wonderful news :thumbleft:
lucky

Post by lucky »

It is.
CincinnatiFiero

Start mailing PCMs to darth for the MIL deletes!