Aarons turbo setup > My turbo setup...

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Just bought myself a GM 3.3 Bar...
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Ok so I was playing around with some stuff today. I disconnected the top port of the WG, and made some runs. Guess what, boost holds solid just off the spring/bottom port.

Stupid me hooked up the solonoid wrong so that when it was commanding more duty cycle, it was actually putting more boost to the top of the wg (keeping it closed). Opps.

Well my 3.3bar will be here tomorrow anyways.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Good videos or bust. :) I got my prom and zif today. I'll be seeing you as soon as I can get a appointment with the Belk college.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I have fluids and systems tests this week so I'll be really busy. Perhaps this weekend new videos will be made.

Especially now that I can keep my foot planted to the floor.. :)
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Jinxmutt wrote:Ok so I was playing around with some stuff today. I disconnected the top port of the WG, and made some runs. Guess what, boost holds solid just off the spring/bottom port..

Turn it sideways for TEH SUPER BOOST
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Wow, I really screwed up. The figured the GM sensor I bought would be really nice because its a direct replacement for the stock 1bar map that is just hanging out in my intake. I could just clip it in there and get rid of the big rectangle map that I have ziptied to the plenum.

Turns out the new MAP sensor only reads down to about 40kpa or -8.9 psi. Unfortunately, I see more vacume than that. Looks like this bitch is getting returned tomorrow.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you mean 8.9 inches of vacuum?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

AEM measures everything i load. It remains PSI even in vacuum. Just calls it negative.

I will see 8-10 psi of vacuum cruising, I will see 10inHG cruise, and 20-25 inHG during decel
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Shoulda checked the datasheet, mang!

http://delphi.com/shared/pdf/ppd/sensors/et_turbo.pdf

You got one of these I would guess?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Exactly, i have that housing on m plenum already and the 1bar is just sitting in there plugging the hole. I figured I would get the replacement to make that thing atleast useful. I didn't look at the min voltage side until yesterday when i was trying to setup the aem for it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's your idle vacuum?

If the only time you see lower pressure than the lower limit of the sensor is on deceleration, then zero out that part of the map and have DFCO.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I could maybe get by hoping i don't see any cruise loads less than what the sensor would read.

The problem is that the highest kPa the AEM will allow is 32.77 at 1v. When I ever I try to enter 40kPa for .1v, the program beeps at me and defaults back to 32.77.

Bah, I'm just going to return it for the other big rectangle GM 3 bar. I don't need the extra .3, i was just hoping to use this style without actually thinking it through first.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What uses that sensor in production? Anything?
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

2008 (and others) GMC Sierra 2500 6.6L Turbo diesel

Also used on other 6.6L Turbo diesels such as the silverado, etc.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Ok, I can see why they wouldn't need the low end of the scale, in that case. I guess they just took the normal three bar sensor and biased its output window by 10% or so.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

The Dark Side of Will wrote: If the only time you see lower pressure than the lower limit of the sensor is on deceleration, then zero out that part of the map and have DFCO.
The factory computer doesn't cut the injectors throughout the decel stage though. In fact, at about 2500rpm, it starts to slowly phase them back in. By 2,000rpm, they are back to fully operational, and holding a steady 14.7 AFR. This helps the car come to an idle without dipping or stalling, and helps the engine react smoothly when you get back onto the throttle.

I wouldn't think he'd need to hackjob his tune, on such a Godly factory computer, right Will?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Factory ecu's fully cut injectors during decel. There is a table that works with the IAC that introduces small amounts of fuel when the rpms get near desired idle. Desired idle is quite dynamic on my tunes, manual or auto, it is not stock, and desired idle is based on VSS. High VSS = high idle, I usually try to keep it a few hundred RPM under what it should be seeing at that speed. IE 70mph = 1900 desired idle for my auto, and ~2500 for my manual cars. This gives you excellent decel characteristics, and prevents stalling 110% of the time (the extra 10% is there because on the manuals you can roll start them from like 2mph with these settings.)
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I already spent a good 8hrs or so setting up my decel fuel cutoff so it is a very smooth transition in my light cruise throttle range.

With the first base map, I would get a slight surge as the car would switch between different parameters of either cut off or reintroducing fuel. It is now tuned really well and the transition can't be felt by the passenger. The car is really smooth in those areas.

Aaron, its good thing I'm not using a "Godly factory computer" otherwise I would have other MAP based issues... (and MAF too considering I don't have one)

The "turbo pressure sensor" came in today, and is ready for return. I have also already ordered the typical 89 turbo trans am 3bar, and will have it on monday.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Aaron is correct, there is both DFCO (decel fuel cutoff) and DFE (decel fuel enleanment) depending on where you are in the RPM range. Abruptly going from DFCO to full injectors, while running down to a low RPM SUCKS. You could never drive with a manual transmission in traffic like that.
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

Jinxmutt wrote:I already spent a good 8hrs or so setting up my decel fuel cutoff so it is a very smooth transition in my light cruise throttle range.

With the first base map, I would get a slight surge as the car would switch between different parameters of either cut off or reintroducing fuel. It is now tuned really well and the transition can't be felt by the passenger. The car is really smooth in those areas.

Aaron, its good thing I'm not using a "Godly factory computer" otherwise I would have other MAP based issues... (and MAF too considering I don't have one)

The "turbo pressure sensor" came in today, and is ready for return. I have also already ordered the typical 89 turbo trans am 3bar, and will have it on monday.
My modded maf setup is working FLAWLESSLY its so great! Been doing 20 degree starts up here in the great north, and its performing great! Idle is dead steady at 670rpms warm even.

2 bar maf, that just gets maxxed instantly when I make boost, is not hurting me at all.