installing new piston rings (lube)

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

installing new piston rings (lube)

Post by p8ntman442 »

Hey guys, My brother and I have an argument going on. When rebuilding an engine, he says you must lube the piston rings with assembly lube before installing the pistons. I disagree and say that lubing them prevents them from wearing in properly and glazez them over so they never seal correctly.

He just rebuilt the 350 in his truck and did it his way, and I did the 350 in my dads truck and did it my way. His truck had excessive blowby upon startup and that lasted for quite some time. My dads truck ran fine and is still running.

how do you guys do it, and am I wrong? (this would be the first time)
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

dry (assuming the cyl walls are still lubed from its last run, otherwise a quick wipe of oil seems to do)
Last edited by Kohburn on Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Coating of engine oil on the cylinder walls is fine before assembly.

Moly lube? No way.
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Soooo much effort to make 200 HP....

Use lots of oil and work it into the rings in their grooves, as well as oiling up the cylinder walls before you drop the pistons in.
p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

Post by p8ntman442 »

I guess oil would be ok, as it is already present below the rigs on normal startup. I was refering to molylube, I use the black tube graphite stuff (love it) but never use it in the bores. I may use engine oil in the future. God forbid those honda guys use a rubber mallet to tap the pistons in instead of the hammer handle. although 280 ft lbs at 8200 rpm is decent from 2 liters na.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

p8ntman442 wrote:although 280 ft lbs at 8200 rpm is decent from 2 liters na.
I just read the captions for the pictures. Does it really claim 280 ftlbs from 2 litres NA? What a load of horse shit.

Do not use Moly on piston rings. Oil the bores, oil the rings, but don't use moly lube.