84-87 Cradle Dimensions

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

84-87 Cradle Dimensions

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Anyone got a bare 84-87 cradle kicking around the shop? I need a picture of a cradle sans A arms, no motor, nothing. I need measurements as well height, width, depth. Also does someone know about what one weighs?

My family has a powdercoating line at our factory so they are running some spare duke crap for me right now so I can see how it turns out. If it works well I am considering doing my cradle but it is an automated system so I need to make sure the cradle fits through the cleaning rooms, through the sprayers, and through the oven. I also need the weight to make sure the conveyer can support it.

If all goes well I may be able to offer black powdercoating to you guys for next to nothing so stay tuned.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

You just need bounding box dimensions and weight?

What sort of cleaning/prep is required or included?
CincinnatiFiero

I thought they did an acid dip, but my cousins husband says they have an abraisive process. So who knows, I haven't walked through the factory in a couple years. I gave them a pretty good condition valve cover and then an air cleaner with a bunch of surface rust from sitting. That way I can see how effective their cleaning process is. If I do the cradle I plan to wire brush it all down just to make sure it comes out pretty.

Supposidly they can also do a nice silver, so I am going to do a set of 13" steelies off my 84.

I need the overall dimensions of the cradle. Mount to mount pretty much. Then if it was sitting on the ground, the ground to the top of the rear mount (thats the highest point right?).
CincinnatiFiero

Anyone on the cradle dimensions, 88 should work too, I just need a ballpark.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

The 88 rough measurements are:
41 1/2" wide (widest at front)
38 1/2" long (Front to back)
10 1/2" tall at the rear
CincinnatiFiero

Thanks a ton, does anyone have a pic of a stripped cradle?

I am measuring up a sway bar right now, mmmm pretty sway bars too?

I just emailed off FieroGurus measurements but I am not sure if he works saturdays or not.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

Here is a not quite stock 88 cradle. The modified parts are the engine mount pads.

CincinnatiFiero

Just got an email back, my intake and valve cover will be done at the end of the week, I may not go pick them up until Christmas though. He says the cradle should fit just fine and they can do it for me. I still want to see how my test pieces turn out, but I bet it will be fine.
CincinnatiFiero

I may be moving soon so I can't tear my car down yet. As soon as I know where the car can live for a week or two I will pull the cradle out and see if I can't powder coat her up. Anyone have anything they will need done when I run my parts up to columbus? I will take them with me and have them done. You gotta mail them to me and pay to mail them back. I am not sure on the date yet, just something to think about. It has to be steel, no aluminum.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Not sure what this is worth, but I had my cradle powdercoated no problem.

If they are in the business of coatings, then their oven is likely large enough for a car. I know the coater I use, his oven is, because they powdercoat entire frames.

Why can't they coat aluminum? As far as the powdercoating is concerned, it isn't any different. Is it the cleaning dip they use? Mine were just cleaned via sandblast.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
CincinnatiFiero

I was told media blasting as well. My uncle told me it would not stick to aluminum as well????

The factory is set up to powercoat metal shepherds hooks, wreath frames, wreath stands, floral wire, floral frames, garden things, bits of the martha stewart outdoor collection, etc. They do not do powdercoating as a business, just to finish their own products.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I was told media blasting as well. My uncle told me it would not stick to aluminum as well????
Mine seem to be holding up fine, and nobody at the coating place ever said anything *shrugs*
CincinnatiFiero

Its free and I've got some aluminum crap hanging around, I'll throw some in the truck. If it works I'd really like to coat my shittastic tech wheels so they look presentable until I get real rims.
CincinnatiFiero

Allow me vent my frustrations, everyone who works there has worked there for a couple years, we built the line I believe in 1999. Jack shit has changed. I was told they don't do a dip, just an abrasive. I was also told my parts where ready to go and would be done by friday.

"Just pulled the parts out and showed them to the paint supervisor and he said they won’t coat well. Do you have access to a sand blaster or some good way to clean them? The wash alone won’t get them clean enough. If not you can probably get the job done with some sand paper and elbow grease. Let me know your thoughts."

So apparently we do do a chemical bath? I asked him exactly what the prep process is, what the paint manager says about aluminum, and how they need to be prepped, just smooth and clean, or down to bare metal.