Getting car to warm up faster.

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Heat is for pussies.

... I have the heater core completely bypassed on my commuter car until I feel like replacing it. :la:
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

You also live in the devil's rectum :thumbleft:
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:I replaced the heater core today, turns out the bottom tube (Forgot if that is inlet or outlet), was completely cracked, and broken off from the core, presumably in my crash. But I got it all cleaned up, and the new core put in. It works great, and the heater is much warmer now (Normal temp). So I'm going to drive it for a while, and see how it works, and see if it's worth the effort and weight of trying to make it hotter.
Umm... spilled coolant?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

What do you mean?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

If your heater core was broken, where did the coolant inside it go?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I don't think the pipe was completely broken off when it was in the car, the joint was just cracked. Because it didn't drip much coolant. I'm thinking most still flowed though as usual. When I was trying to get the rubber lines off, that is when it broke completely off I think.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Any crack in the heater core should result in a coolant leak...

Basically, I'm suggesting that you check your carpet and other things that could have soaked up the spilled coolant.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Oh it leaked, no doubt about that. But it wasn't too much (I changed it at the first sign of coolant). The carpet got a little bit, but not a whole lot, as it was a pretty slow drip. It wasn't even wet, as it'd dry before the next drip even hit. But I also cleaned the plastic box really well, that was wet.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Any crack in the heater core should result in a coolant leak...

Basically, I'm suggesting that you check your carpet and other things that could have soaked up the spilled coolant.
Yeah, but if its a tiny leak and the heater core is getting used almost all the time (which it sounds like), you could conceivably just receive a mist of kidney damage with your air instead of getting noticeable drips on the carpet or anything.