Getrag 282 rebuild

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

Thanks for all of your advice guys!!!

I found out that there is a local place around here that builds clutches so I am going to check them out. If they don't work out I think I will end up going with the 6-puck metallic.
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

It's a LOT more difficult and requires a LOT more creativity and tooling to pull a 282 all the way apart than it is/does to split the case.

I don't think you ever mentioned WHY you want to overhaul your transmission. Was it anything besides the noise that you now know is the clutch?

I'd say just put your trans back together and either shelve the kit until you need it, return it or sell it to someone in the community.
TurboGT

Re: Getrag 282 rebuild

Post by TurboGT »

Yes Will the noise that is now the clutch was the reason for the rebuild....
I had taken the car apart a month ago for the same noise thinking it was a bad T/O bearing (which was bad) and was out of loctite so I decided to not pull the clutch off the flywheel.

I am planning on not performing the rebuild for now because I am wanting to switch to an auto down the line and dont want to sink to much money into something I am just gong to get rid of.

How hard are the Diff bearing to replace? Do you have to have the J26935 to get the crush set properly?
Mega Squirted Turbo 3400
The install
How to MS your Fiero