Mounting magnetic wheel speed pickups? Doug Chase?

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

KurtAKX

Mounting magnetic wheel speed pickups? Doug Chase?

Post by KurtAKX »

I know this is the sort of thing Doug's done before. I'm mounting an Alfa Elite into my Fiero coupe, for an upcoming event.

Has anyone mounted a small Hall-type pickup to point somewhere on the front rotors? Any pics are a plus. I'm brainstorming how I'd like to do this.

In a nutshell, I have to make a bracket and point something about the size of a Crayola crayon at 2 small magnets I stick on the rotor and I have to get the tip of the "crayon" within 1/4" of the magnet so the pick-up will register.
Jinxmutt

Re: Mounting magnetic wheel speed pickups? Doug Chase?

Post by Jinxmutt »

I don't have actual solutions for either, just different idea...

Can you mount the sensor to the LCA and have it pick up the magnet on the wheel?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Fiero, I assume? What year?

If the A-bodies with JA1 brakes ever came with ABS, you could swap those knuckles over and have a speed sensor built into your rear hub.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

Jinxmutt, you have a good idea there, and its actually what's suggested in the manual, but I don't want to buy more magnets for every set of wheels I might run on it, and I don't want to have to re-adjust the sensor for each set of wheels (14s, 15s, etc)

Will, yes its a Fiero, 1985 so 84-87 style knuckles. I haven't looked into mounting the pickup in the back because I don't want wheelspin to mess with my odometer calibration factor.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Stick the magnets to the hub and use an L-shaped bracket retained by the rotor dust shield bolts (assuming the dust shield isn't there).