Build Thread

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

It looks like I'll actually have the car back to me within the next month or so. I've been thinking about maybe picking up a blown engine 88 with minimal rust. Being that I plan to replace the engine, interior, suspension, body etc. would this be a good idea? Are 88s that much better suspensionwise? What about upgradability? I know stock for stock the '88 is better, but what about aftermarket?

Sell me one way or the other. Pick up an '88, strip it down and swap everything over or keep going on the current car? While it does have sentimental value, it would still be basically the same car.

Also, I guess if the other car had a running engine (Duke or whatever) I could start selling the performance parts off of my 2.8.

Any ideas?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, another set-back on this. I won't be moving into my new house (well, rented older home) until December. I might go get my Blazer and Fiero this weekend though. Just won't be able to work on the Fiero until after I move.

Someday, this damn car will have some progress made.

How do flip-front ends work? I think it would be awesome to merge the front end, hood and top half of the fenders. Then I would like to merge the remainding fender, sideskirts and rear quarters.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

a large number of flip front ends are made of a single piece of fiberglass. If you wanted to secure your fenders to your hood, then undo them from the body... but aside from showing off when parked, or maybe access to service the car, I see no advantage to this. Just alot of hassle and expense. There are kits to do this to the first gen camaro, both gen's of S-10, and the third-gen camaro.
Unsafe At Any Speed

The main reason I would do this would be the cosmetic aspect. I could eliminate the lines around the hood which I think would look really good.
lucky

Post by lucky »

You've seen norm's flip front end, I assume?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I beleive he is reffering more to a blacktree style build.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Actually more like norms, as in the front fascia as well. I'm just not sure how it works as I haven't seen one in person.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Well, it's finally in my garage. That's a start. Damn the Fiero makes the V look huge. Or the other way around, I'm not sure. But yeah, not sure where to start. The brakes need to be bleed really bad. Stopping sucked on the way from storage to here. Where to begin...

Unsafe At Any Speed

I don't think I've ever had any pictures with the rear fascia, tails and decklid vent all on. So here ya go...

And of the front:
Unsafe At Any Speed

Re: Build Thread

A really ghetto mock-up:

Also, you can see the flaw in the middle of the piece in this pic: