Adding Performace Sound to my 88GT.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Adding Performace Sound to my 88GT.

Post by Aaron »

Hey guys,

I'd like to add the stock sub to my 88GT. In case you hadn't had guessed, my 88GT doesn't have the stock sub.

Now I can search and figure out how to add it, but I want to know what it came in. Was it avialable in all years? Did it ever change in any of the years? There are a few Fieros at the junkyards near me, but I'd like to know if they have it or not before I waste my 1 dollar entry fee.

Is there a webpage that details the swap?

Thanks a lot!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

I know it wasnt available in 84...so ill say its a 85?86-88 option.

5.5" sub isnt really "performance sound" though...

Ebay has the complete deals for sale often and installing it is as easy as reading through one of those lil red Haynes Manuals
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I wouldn't bother with performance sound. I would just install a single 8 inch or single 10 inch.
donk_316
Booooooost

Post by donk_316 »

YeaH I agree... I had ONE JL8W6 in the passenger foot well...umm yeah it rocked.
Resident Import Elitist
-------------------------
1991 Skyline GTR
(OO\ SKYLINE /OO)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I want the stock appearance. I don't want subs behind my seat, DEFINATELY don't want them behind my head like the dumbfuck at the dumbfuck forums who put a 12 behind both headrests :cussing:

I just want a little more from it, and the best place is under the dash, so there is no reason not to really.

I'm gonna start looking for parts at local yards here pretty soon. A guy at the other forum said it was 86-88 only.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

I'd find someone with performance sound before you go through all the hastle of adding it to your car.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:I'd find someone with performance sound before you go through all the hastle of adding it to your car.
What do you mean, like it isn't worth the work? I think it'd be enough for me though, I'm nto big into car stereos. :scratch:
TurboGT

Post by TurboGT »

In my last Fiero I took the bulk wiring harness out of the front firewall (drivers side) and installed a 12" in in a truck box under my fromt hood. I put the amp in the trunk (you can easily make something it that nothin will hit it). It sound realy good and dosent take up much space and you dont have to mod anything :thumbleft: Takle out front spare and your good.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Weight. My Fiero is fat, and it is on a diet. But the diet says that factory performanance sound is ok, but aftermarket performannace sound isn't, becuz it has too many calories.

Also, I don't want to use the factory sub, I'd like to get a aftermarket one that will fit the factory housing. I will be upgrading to a Sony deck soon. In addition I'd run a aftermarket amp and a capacitor.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My setup probibly added 30-40lbs to the car, buts its worth every pound. I like driving the car and do quite a bit of long distance, nothing beats a good sound system.

My subs don't boom and wake people up, but they do give the songs a kick.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/041889.html
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The subs are going to be mounted right behind the headrests, but not high up int he window, but physically right behind the headrests.

At 6'4", I cannot give up any legroom, the seats are already all of the way back everyday.

I will be cutting and reshaping my firewall for these, and moving the battery up front. Thanks to the intake and battery relocation, I have some room to play with. But let's keep this to 1 thread, I don't want to be an attention whore...

So whoever moderates this forum, just delete this thread completely :thumbleft:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Cutting the firewall to put subs in is the gheyest shit ever.

Dude just put in a system like stimpy. Stock location but a larger sub.

You went from a small stock sub system to 2 speakers behind the seats in one day? You have a strange thought process.

Or add a 8 inch box in the pass foot well and be done with it.

Why must everyone cut up the car to put in a sub? Fuck.

The more money you spend on all this nonsense stereo shit, the less you will have to go towards your motor swap. its that simple.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Cutting the firewall to put subs in is the gheyest shit ever.

Dude just put in a system like stimpy. Stock location but a larger sub.

You went from a small stock sub system to 2 speakers behind the seats in one day? You have a strange thought process.

Or add a 8 inch box in the pass foot well and be done with it.

Why must everyone cut up the car to put in a sub? Fuck.

The more money you spend on all this nonsense stereo shit, the less you will have to go towards your motor swap. its that simple.
I'm cutting up the firewall, and completely remaking it. It isn't liek I won't have a firewall in some places, I am going to weld in new sections, so it is basically a new and improved firewall.

But I want 2 subs, and I want them to be 10s.

As for my thought process, you are correct. But hey, I have the time, money, knowledge, and drive to do it right, and so I will.

Again, I'm 6 feet 4 inches. I like having all the legroom I can get, even when someone else is driving. And as I said in my other thread, I'm not interested in the motor swap. Yes I'm sure the 3.4 will be tons better, but as of right now the 2.8l is just fine. It does everything I need it to, and has plenty of power. When I get sick of it, I will fix it. I am still working on the 3.4, it isn't like I'm abandoning it, just procrastinating it a little.

Trust me, this stereo will be done right. Afterwards, the only hint you'll have that I have 3000+ watts fo stereo equipment is a nice deck. You won't see the subs, the 2 new speakers, the amps, anything.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Cutting the firewall to put subs in is the gheyest shit ever.
Not gay. Sounds wicked and looks great. Whats ghey are the center counsol subs that stick out so far you can't see the passenger...

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:
Not gay. Sounds wicked and looks great. Whats ghey are the center counsol subs that stick out so far you can't see the passenger...
I asgree, and I like having that storage box there.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Aaron wrote:
I'm cutting up the firewall, and completely remaking it. It isn't liek I won't have a firewall in some places, I am going to weld in new sections, so it is basically a new and improved firewall.
Its still ghey.
Again, I'm 6 feet 4 inches. I like having all the legroom I can get, even when someone else is driving.
How often will somebody else be driving your car? And how long will they be driving it for? 10 minutes to the store if even that? Dude put your legs up for a few minutes big deal. For the amount of time you will be spending it in the passenger seat its almost dumb not to have one there. Or hell Stimpys It hink fit an 8 under the dash. I am sure an 8" is moer then enough for a fiero. hell I have heard the stock system and it creates a decent amount of bass in that small cabin. Two 10's will be overkill in that littel cabin.

I rode in F-Lisas car and it had 1 10 behind the pass seat. I had plenty of room and it made the inside pretty loud. It was more then enough for the car.

But wahtever man. Just remember that cutting up that firewall up that high might create clearence problems with your dohc swap later on.

BTW the 2.8 sucks powerwise. Yea it might be enough untill you get beat by a Kia. Yea Kia's run low 16's. But hey, at least you can cruise to work 5 minutes away with a 3k watt stereo system bumping old skool Coolio tracks.

1, 2, 3, 4, get your woman on the floor. Gotta gotta get up, get down...

My thoughts.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:
Again, I'm 6 feet 4 inches. I like having all the legroom I can get, even when someone else is driving.
How often will somebody else be driving your car? And how long will they be driving it for? 10 minutes to the store if even that? Dude put your legs up for a few minutes big deal. For the amount of time you will be spending it in the passenger seat its almost dumb not to have one there. Or hell Stimpys It hink fit an 8 under the dash. I am sure an 8" is moer then enough for a fiero. hell I have heard the stock system and it creates a decent amount of bass in that small cabin. Two 10's will be overkill in that littel cabin.

I rode in F-Lisas car and it had 1 10 behind the pass seat. I had plenty of room and it made the inside pretty loud. It was more then enough for the car.

But wahtever man. Just remember that cutting up that firewall up that high might create clearence problems with your dohc swap later on.

BTW the Boat Anchor sucks powerwise. Yea it might be enough untill you get beat by a Kia. Yea Kia's run low 16's. But hey, at least you can cruise to work 5 minutes away with a 3k watt stereo system bumping old skool Coolio tracks.

1, 2, 3, 4, get your woman on the floor. Gotta gotta get up, get down...

My thoughts.
I'm in my passenger seat about as much as I'm in the driver's seat. My friend that is helping me build it loves Fiero's, he got me into them, but he doesn't have one yet. Thus he drives mine, a lot. Also, when we go out to parties and such, I'd rather a sober person drive. But whatever, it comes down to this. I don't want a sub there, for a lot of reasons. I don't want to see the subs, I want subs, not sub, and I want the legroom. I can fit them elseware, so I will. You will like it in the end.

And my cutting up the firewall will not impact the engine in the least, except I have less room for my headers, but that doesn't matter, I can fit them anywhere.

And thanks, I know the 2.8l is that bad, especially at 6000 feet. But it is good enough for what I need it for now, and it will keep me out of trouble. And having a 12 point racing ticket freshly under my belt, I don't need another.
CAN3800SC
cant get enough of this site!

Post by CAN3800SC »

Golden86 has a nice setup
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Aaron wrote:Weight. My Fiero is fat, and it is on a diet. But the diet says that factory performanance sound is ok, but aftermarket performannace sound isn't, becuz it has too many calories.

Also, I don't want to use the factory sub, I'd like to get a aftermarket one that will fit the factory housing. I will be upgrading to a Sony deck soon. In addition I'd run a aftermarket amp and a capacitor.
I find it amusing that your "girl" is about get fat + pregnant with a TDC in there, but you're worried about a couple extra lbs. Heheh.

[EDIT]: That is if you ever get it put together...