Adding Performace Sound to my 88GT.

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I find it amusing that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about considering I've already weighed my 3.4 at less than a 2.8...
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

what did you use to weigh it? I've always wondered about the numbers i've seen floating around but believed em after trying to move the tdc around with a hand cart compared to how much lighter the stock 2.8 feels
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well I used the engine I got from the boneyard a while back, and I just weighed the top half. At the time I worked at Petsmart, and they had a scale in the vet section, and it went up to 500lbs. So I weighed the 2.8's heads, intake manis, and exhaust maniolfds/crossover, and the DOHC heads, cams, my intake manifold, and the Z34's headers before they were coated. It was only like 8lbs more. Therefore, after I remove A/C, PS, and everything else, I am sure I can keep the final weight below that of the 2.8l. I weighed my GT at 2980 with me in it, so about 2800 without. My goal is to keep it under 3000 with the 3.4 and the stereo. So we will see if that happens...

Also Blue Shift, sorry it won't be done tomorrow. I guess $2800 cylinder heads just take longer than a day or two....
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The 3.4 is definitly heavier than the 2.8, I'd guess around 100lbs heavier. I agree with the above, with both motors out of the car the 2.8 is easy to wheel around, the TDC was a bitch.

Not only are the heads quite heavy, the cam carriers weigh a ton. Plus the big timing chain cover. Its a very heavy motor for what it is, it should have had the heads/cams as one piece and an aluminum block.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Actually the heads of the dohc are light. Just like the Gen 3's I have but prob a few pounds more.

However its the cam carriers taht weigh a ton.

I would guess the block weighs more as there is a bit more beefiness to the dohc.

I think the cam carriers with the heads prob weigh about 15 pounds or so more then an iron head fully dressed.

I dont' think the dohc is 100 pounds heavier. It might be more like 50-75 but its definately more.

Of course Aaron says otehrwise and he has weighed them so :dontknow:
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Unless you weighed fish on it, it doesn't count.
Aaron wrote: At the time I worked at Petsmart, and they had a scale in the vet section, and it went up to 500lbs.
rockcrawl
The Best

Post by rockcrawl »

In my shop a 3.4DOHC weighs 492.5 lbs and a 2.8 weighs 383 lbs, both fully dressed with all the accesories including A/C and exhaust manifiolds.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

^^^ There you go.

Game

Set

Match
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

Thanks for clearing that up.

rockcrawl wrote:In my shop a 3.4DOHC weighs 492.5 lbs and a Boat Anchor weighs 383 lbs, both fully dressed with all the accesories including A/C and exhaust manifiolds.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Look, I had both motors as they will be in my car.

The 3.4 didn't have A/C, no water pump, had a custom intake that weighed 1/4 of the stocker, and the headers which were notably less than the manifolds. The parts off of the 2.8 included all of that, as it would be stock.
z.MacK
Use a smaller avatar

Post by z.MacK »

"Shaun41178(2)"]
Aaron wrote: BTW the Boat Anchor sucks powerwise. Yea it might be enough untill you get beat by a Kia. Yea Kia's run low 16's. But hey, at least you can cruise to work 5 minutes away with a 3k watt stereo system bumping old skool Coolio tracks.
1, 2, 3, 4, get your woman on the floor. Gotta gotta get up, get down...
My thoughts.
LOL fo some reason thats funny as hell...

anyway
Cutting into the firewall and there still isnt enough space to fully get a sub in. You get like inch and a half of space at the bottom of the firewall. Your still gonna lose seat room.
IMO Dont go hacking up your 88gts fucking firewall for a sub!!

I really want to get an 8-10" sub in my fiero. Ive got newer kenwoods in the stock locations. But they really dont put out any bass.

My idea is,
When i relocate my Batt. to the front.....Im going to put a sub up front that ports into the footwells.
Wont be too much work to do it, and will look tricked out.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Aaron, I'm sorry but your TDC and Fiero are still fat. I know, I have no fewer than 2 TDCs and a 2.8 in my garage. GM itself stamped my crate motor (minus all accessories) at 460 Lbs. It's generally agreed on that the 2.8 weighs in the ballpark of 375 lbs or so. Rockcrawl just spelled it out.

So I guess you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but everybody knows this already. Talk is cheap, better get your diet started...
Last edited by Blue Shift on Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Blue Shift wrote: I find it amusing that your "girl" is about get fat + pregnant with a TDC in there, but you're worried about a couple extra lbs. Heheh.
Aaron wrote:I find it amusing that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about considering I've already weighed my 3.4 at less than a Boat Anchor...
Aaron wrote:Look, I had both motors as they will be in my car.

The 3.4 didn't have A/C, no water pump, had a custom intake that weighed 1/4 of the stocker, and the headers which were notably less than the manifolds. The parts off of the Boat Anchor included all of that, as it would be stock.

I just weighed the parts myself, no less than 5 minutes ago. This information is up to date 100%!! Yes, the 3.4 DOHC is still a heavy motor!
1993 LQ1 3.4L DOHC
Lower Intake Manifold: 7.2 lbs
Plenum: 17.6 lbs
Front exhaust manifold: 7.2 lbs
Rear exhaust manifold: 10 lbs
Exhaust crossover: 7 lbs
A/C compressor: 15.2 lbs
Cam carrier: 15 lbs
Camshaft: 10 lbs

If you COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the LIM, plenum, front exhaust manifold, rear exhaust manifold, exhaust crossover, and A/C compressor, you lose 64 lbs. Fuck. Even if you also removed all four camshafts you would still weigh more than the 2.8. Fuck.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Now factor in everything else I am doing at the same time to bring weight down, for example removing spare tire, running a very short exhaust, and a bunch of other stuff. I know the 3.4 is a much heavier motor, I have like 4-5 down in my garage right now (Well, the parts to make 4-5....)

I know it will not be lighter after the swap, that is common sense. As I said above, my goal is 3000lbs without me in it. With the stereo and the 3.4, this will be a hard feat to accomplish, but I think I can do it. We shall see!

z.Mack, you didn't understand me. I'm not just trimming my firewall. I'm cutting it up and reshaping it. I will be adding almost 6-8" of depth behind the upper part of the seat. I will fit two 10s, one on each side, and it will look good. The room behind the seats is useless anyways, for the battery and air cleaner, both of which will be gone. So the only reason it will hurt is that I'll have less room for headers, but those can be made to fit into anything.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Huh? A stock GT is about 2700-2800lbs. Add 100lbs for the tdc and you have 2800-2900lbs.

The fiero has a double fire wall. If you cut into the bottom you won't have speaker boxes in the engine bay.....

I knew the TDC was 100lbs heavier, I win!
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

just do it and post the pics and weight slip form the scales and the dyno slips and the track slips :la:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Kohburn wrote:just do it and post the pics and weight slip form the scales and the dyno slips and the track slips :la:
I'm working on it, I have a prior weight at 2980 (2800 without my fatass). I should have gotten the stereo in today, should have. I will be buying the speakers over the next couple months, and doing to install over X-mas break.

I can't put the 2.8l on the dyno becuz I don't think it has enough power to turn the rollers, and I can't bring it to the track becuz their timers don't count high enough :scratch:
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

Exactly, I only claimed that the 3.4 was heavier than the 2.8. I'm aiming for 2900 empty with my TDC and a full power everything 87GT. Stock, it supposedly weighs 2800 lbs, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Blue Shift wrote:Exactly, I only claimed that the 3.4 was heavier than the Boat Anchor. I'm aiming for 2900 empty with my TDC and a full power everything 87GT. Stock, it supposedly weighs 2800 lbs, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.
And I agree 100% that the DOHC is heavier, but with my setup, I'm hoping I can keep it the same, or only a little more. But if I were throwing in a relatively stock 3.4, with all accessories, there is no doubt it'd be much heavier, probably cracking 3000.