How the F do you get a nice exhaust seal?

General Fiero Maintenance including oil changes, air filters, suspension refreshes, restorations, painting, etc.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Xanth

How the F do you get a nice exhaust seal?

Post by Xanth »

I am very sick of working on the exhaust system, and the little spitting noises drive me nuts.

Right now on the Formula I've got the Stainless steel headpipe, and the FieroStore OEM style exhaust, which of course fits like shit since its not really an 88 exhaust system.

Whats annoying me is clamping it all together, these clamps tighten nicely only around the rounded edge of the U-Bolt. The metal bracket does shit, and as it gets snug pinches the pipe making little gaps on each side the exhaust spits out of.

Is there a better clamp too use that will clamp evenly and stop this crap? Or are you supposed to just use sealant? I expected a much more snug fit between the various pieces, its almost as if they were a bit too aggressive with the pipe expander.
Last edited by Xanth on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fierogt28

Re: How the F do you get a nice exhaust seal?

Post by fierogt28 »

lowlux wrote:fierostore is like walmart... you get what you pay for...
I wouldn't talk lowlux, you complain / bitch about an 100$ altenator being too much.

Stick it where the sun don't shine...will ya.
TheFieroBoy

Post by TheFieroBoy »

You'll get a really good seal if you have it welded.

Aside from that, you can use the exhaust clamp to shrink the pipe. It's tedious work, though. You tighten the clamp, then loosen it and rotate it 90 degrees, tighten it again, lather, rinse, repeat until the pipe is snug all the way around.

But after you do that, getting the pipes apart will be next to impossible. So you might as well have it welded. :-P
BC2002SS

Post by BC2002SS »

2002 Camaro SS
1986 Fiero GT 3800SC 4T65E-HD
slp 1.8 rockers, slp headers, northstar throttle body, Z06 MAF,3.3" pulley,160 drilled stat,
12" Corvette brakes
1.81 60' 13.004 @102
new best 1.939 60' 12.909 @ 104.50
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Hmm, I think I've actually seen those at work. I hadn't thought they were clamps at the time, figured they were just hangars. I'll have to see if we still have them.
lucky

Post by lucky »

If you guys don't have them on the shelf, NAPA does. I had to use one to get my y to seal in my cat, I'll never bother with a cheap clamp again.