Sway bar

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

I_wear_pants

Sway bar

Post by I_wear_pants »

I ended up with a sway bar off of an 03 impala at work yesterday. It is just over 1 1/4'' diameter. So just for shits I decided to see if it would fit on the front of my 86 GT. I had to drill 2 new holes for the brackets, but other than that it bolted up pretty well. The suspension is totally stock with worn out tires. I haven't taken any real hard corners since I'm not used to the new bar yet, but so far the car seems pretty nuetral. I am planning to add a bar in the rear soon to balance it out.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: Sway bar

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

You can take the stock fiero front and throw it on the rear since you already have it, but for that matter you could put another impala on the rear since its thicker. I think Sinisters rear sway bar uses an H body bar.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Stiffening the bars with no other changes can make the car pretty unforgiving at the limit
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

My plan was to put the factory front bar on the rear. I am hoping that since I have the larger front bar on now once I add the rear bar I won't have the tendency to spin like I have read about if you just use two equal sized bars. If this doesn't work out I will most likely opt for a setup like befarrer is using with a factory front bar and smaller rear.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The stiffness of the bar without extra damping in the struts makes the car "bouncy" in roll. IE, it will "bounce" back and forth between roll to the left and roll to the right in the event of a sudden change in lateral g.

This means that if you do get it squirrelly, you will NOT be able to recover it because it will snap transition to rapidly and quickly to catch with the Fiero's slow steering.
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I see what you are saying now. That makes sense. I was actually planning to go through the rest of my suspension after I get my GLH project car back together. I was considering going with coil overs in the rear and just lowering springs and stiffer shocks in the front. Does anyone have any insight on what coil overs to go with?
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I think that "I_Wear_Pants" brand coil overs would work best in your application.

(IE, buy the parts and make them yourself)
EMX5636

Post by EMX5636 »

I'm running the West Coast Fiero rear coilover/front lowering spring combo on my Formula. It's not a bad price for just the setup. I'm running Koni adjustables all the way around. Feels damn good to me!

But you can make your own for cheaper, esp if you aren't looking for custom spring rates and stuff.

Justin
1988 Fiero Formula-3400 60trim Haltech SOLD
1990 Eclipse GSX-parted out
1991 Galant VR4- #108 Alum Rod 2.0L AMS-750R
2003 Kawi KLX400R Legal Motard
2004 Honda TRX450R #33W mx
2001 GMC Sierra C3 AWD
I_wear_pants

Post by I_wear_pants »

I installed the rear bar today using uretane end link bushings, and just stock rubber mounts for now. So far I am quite happy with it. There is a night and day difference in sharp corners, and just driving hard through corners on the street it seems well balanced. I would like to get it in an autocross situation so I can take it to the limit and really see how it acts.