Testing a fuel pump

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Testing a fuel pump

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Is there a way to test a fuel pump out of a car? I have the stock pump out of my 87 Tech4, it appears to be newer (unless CarterMelling made the o.e.'s haha) and to my knowledge it worked. I want to put it in my 84 coupe but I'd like to test it before I go to the trouble of installing it.
Xanth

Re: Testing a fuel pump

Post by Xanth »

Well, can hook a battery up to it just to see if it turns, probably put a pressure gauge on it as well if you want to be that specific.

Shouldn't run it long without fuel in it either way.
CincinnatiFiero

could I pump alcohol or something through it? I feel like the spark from jerry rigging a 12v source to it if I had it pumping a tub of gas will blow me to hell. Or at least de-hair most of my body.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Hmm, yeah I didn't think of sparks. To be honest, I've dry-tested them to see if they spin. I do believe it was on Old Europe that I was warned not to do so.

This is where I must bow out to someone who knows these specifics.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Do you have the tank out of the car as well? You could install it in the tank, run wires to a power source a few feet away and see. Could even jerry rig up a fuel pressure gauge to it. Should keep the fuel away from any sparks.
<Insert Sig Here>
lucky

Post by lucky »

Ya, you shouldn't run them dry because the fuel running through them is what cools them. If you're worried about spark, just make all the connections for your test, and use a cheap 12v push button switch from radio shack on the ground wire. Alcohol or kerosene would be the way to go if you don't wanna use gas, but no real reason not to.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I would suggest a drain pan with a couple of inches of kerosene in it. You'll be MUCH safer than playing with gasoline. It also lubricates better. If you have a wiring connector for the pump, plug that in, otherwise use clip-leads. Put a hose on the discharge and turn it back to the pan.

In my experience, fuel pumps either work or don't. I've never run across one that would turn but would not make sufficient pressure.
Nashco

Post by Nashco »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:In my experience, fuel pumps either work or don't. I've never run across one that would turn but would not make sufficient pressure.
You need more experience. ;) Fuel pumps do get tired. It's actually fairly common on GM 4.3s with the early poppet style CPI "vortec" injection because those injectors were very sensitive to adequate fuel pressure....just 5 psi lower than spec and the vehicle wouldn't start or would start really, really rough. Later revisions of the injector avoided the pressure sensitivity by using "regular" injectors.

With that said, I think you guys are overanalyzing this fire hazard. If I had a GM pump and wanted to test it out with what I had on hand in the shop, I'd probably cut the top of a 2 liter bottle (or a milk jug) off, put enough gas in it to submerge the pump, put a short section of tubing on the pump outlet and route it back into the jug with a zip tie to make sure it doesn't fling away. Hook up a couple of longer leads to a battery and make sure it makes fluid move. Call it a day. If you have zero of the things listed, then just install the pump, slide the tank under the car, and test it before you bolt the tank all the way in place.

If you are really worried about sparks, use a switch in line. You guys act like we're dealing with a hydrogen bomb or something...it only takes a few cups of fuel to test out a pump for an extended period and ounces if you only test it for a second, how big of a fire were you planning on making?! :-P

Bryce
CincinnatiFiero

I should just go ahead and pull the tank, I *think* it is going to be filled with rust anyways. I don't have any jackstands at my house though, so it may be a fuel pump pull on bricks haha.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Nashco wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:In my experience, fuel pumps either work or don't. I've never run across one that would turn but would not make sufficient pressure.
You need more experience. ;) Fuel pumps do get tired. It's actually fairly common on GM 4.3s with the early poppet style CPI "vortec" injection because those injectors were very sensitive to adequate fuel pressure....just 5 psi lower than spec and the vehicle wouldn't start or would start really, really rough. Later revisions of the injector avoided the pressure sensitivity by using "regular" injectors.

With that said, I think you guys are overanalyzing this fire hazard. If I had a GM pump and wanted to test it out with what I had on hand in the shop, I'd probably cut the top of a 2 liter bottle (or a milk jug) off, put enough gas in it to submerge the pump, put a short section of tubing on the pump outlet and route it back into the jug with a zip tie to make sure it doesn't fling away. Hook up a couple of longer leads to a battery and make sure it makes fluid move. Call it a day. If you have zero of the things listed, then just install the pump, slide the tank under the car, and test it before you bolt the tank all the way in place.

If you are really worried about sparks, use a switch in line. You guys act like we're dealing with a hydrogen bomb or something...it only takes a few cups of fuel to test out a pump for an extended period and ounces if you only test it for a second, how big of a fire were you planning on making?! :-P

Bryce
Considering how much fire I was able to make out of just the gas in the fuel filter, I prefer to err on the side of caution.
<Insert Sig Here>
lucky

Post by lucky »

I once watched my buddy jay with his mouth on a used fuel filter blowing fumes at a lit lighter. He immediately regretted it.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

All big fires come from small ones...
whipped

Post by whipped »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcX-oNZJS20

gas vapor is awesome. I've seen videos with people putting matches out in diesel.
My fiero is aliiiive!!