Opening day at zMax Dragway

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: Opening day at zMax Dragway

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Jinxmutt wrote: No, they can legally only run one side at a time due to insurance reasons.
Wait... do you not get to race anybody? Or is it 8 lanes total, 2 pairs?
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Four lanes total.
CincinnatiFiero

So no competition? I know you're really racing the clock anyways, but it still fun to watch that CooperS Works tumble behind the might of your Jeep as rip away from him.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

There are 4 lanes... There are two pairs of lanes. The left side they've been using regularly, the right side they haven't run on yet.

As I mentioned, they can legally only run 1 "pair" at a time for the time being. I think they are changing things for Pinks All Out, but I'm not quite sure.

Also, if the track gets oiled down, they are not allowed to run the other "pair" if the cleaning crew is on the track.

This might change in the future, but that's how it was explained to us so far.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

So I was looking on the website, and they are running ALL 4 lanes..

At first they told us there was only 460 spots. Turns out it is 520 cars, they are doing a 32 car field and running all four lanes AGAINST EACH OTHER. So if you win you eliminate 3 people. Should be pretty interesting to see.

http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/news_ ... 45594.html
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

I went back to the track tonight, what a damn let down. The place was PACKED. I was tech'd in by 5, and didn't get my first run until 8:45.

I launched the car off the 2-step at 3600rpm and 10psi. It did just that. The car hit 10psi at the line, I dropped the clutch and it took off... ...then it hit boost cut at 22psi. I rolled to a 2.0 60' time, and just drove it down the track.

They kept the staging lanes open a bit later and so I was able to get a 2nd run. Again, 2step put me at 3600, 10psi. Dropped the clutch and just spun like crazy. I let out a bit and went to get back into it. When I did nothing happened and so I thought maybe I blew the trans. Went to 3rd, car drove fine. Again, I rolled through the traps. Shitty night.

Just about the only good thing of the day was when I was figuring out the 2-step, I made a trial run in the long parking lot at school. This resulted in clouds of smoke and two awesome strips. I let out early since a burnout wasn't my intention but it still left some awesome marks. :)
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

I am glad I have a test and tune back road that I can do this stuff on before I go to the track...

I hate it when tracks are so busy you get 2 runs in too... major bummer John. Hope next time doesnt suck.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
CincinnatiFiero

The best here is when test and tune friday night gets rained out and test and tune gets rescheduled to Saturday noon to five. All the ricers still have to work the day shift at taco bell so the track clears out. One day we got like 11 runs in when that happened.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Yeah, the last 'street night' wasn't too busy. This test and tune was loaded with PTRA guys and they took forreeever.

I also weighed the car at the track. They had the scales open for the PTRA cars and I drove onto it. With me in the car, the scale was exactly 2900. It flashed 2895 a few times but was pretty much a constant 2900. I figured my 84 would be just under 2700 without me in it, but it looks like it is heavier than I was expecting by 50lbs or so. I'm roughly 160, so I guess a vehicle weight of 2740 isn't too bad.
CincinnatiFiero

I would imagine wet vs dry would be pretty damn big because you added a lot of liquid weight with your intercooler and are you carrying extra oil? I would assume at least an extra quart or two with the turbo. 2,740 isn't bad at all. Now dyno so you can get a power/weight ratio and we can see how good that car is.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Heres my timeslip. I'm car 190...

Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I think pinks was there this weekend. Did you go?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Yeah they were. I didn't attend.