Update on Aaron's Fiero.

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Update on Aaron's Fiero.

Post by Aaron »

Hey ya'lls,

well I was thinking today (Yes it did hurt), I made a change in plans. Originally this was the order that I was going to attack my custom Fiero build:
Engine (3.4 DOHC, built)
Suspension
Bodywork
Interior

Well after getting my CAI I realized something. The 2.8l isn't that bad. I like the sound, it's easy to drive, and the gas mileage is ok. It isn't fast, but it moves good enough. So I thought about this, it isn't broken, I still LOVE the car, let's not fuck with it just yet. I think I am going to leave the 2.8l alone for now. It will be better in the long run if I wait to swap it until I am sick of the boat anchor. I am also putting a hold on the suspension (That goes with the engine, I will do them both at the same time). Also, the interior has grown on me. I like the gauges, the colors are nice, and the seats are comfortable. So I don't even think I want to do a crazy dash swap. I am still building the 3.4, and I will still keep it going, and out of the dust, but I'd like to long block it, wrap it, and just let it wait until I'm good and ready.

So it has come to this, I am going to fix what I don't like about the car. For now, I am happy with the engine/suspension/interior. But the sound system has got to go. I made a post about performance sound, that idea has been trashed. So this is the new plan.

We will be ordering a double din head unit here pretty soon, just waiting on a few ideas so I can figure out the best one. My requirements are double din, and they must illuminate in red. A remote is nice, and it must be CD/MP3. As for all the French numbers that they say mean something, my friend is picking the best one of those. Right after we order the deck I am going to order new 4x10s and 4x6s, and I am also going to add 2 new speakers, most likely 3-way 6x9s. All 6 soeakers will be run off of a seperate amp, mounted in the front of the car. Then we are going to add dual 10" subs, which will also have their own amp.

The only thing I want is it to look stock, or close to it. I don't want some exotic deck, and I don't want fucking sub boxes everywhere. So a lot of time and effort will go into placement of the new 6x9s and 10" subs.

So, what do you think? I'll be posting pics/links as this goes along. I guess this is my stereo build thread :afrocool:
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

If you are happy with the stock 2.8, then you woud love a stock 3.4dohc. The 3.4 doesn't have to be modded to be awesome in a fiero. I was completely happy with my 3.4. The swap is cheap, and if you don't mind your car being out of service for a month, I say do the swap.

I like the stock fiero interior, and the seats are awesome. Only mod I think I would do is Mr. Mike's leather seats. My interior has a personal touch, takes away some of the cheapness.

Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

my interior spruce-up

but I'm selling the integra seats - at 6'4" i need all the headroom i can get
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

oh and i forgot - the fiero stereo I believe is a 1.5din not a double din
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That color looks nice, bet its hard to keep clean
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

crzyone wrote:That color looks nice, bet its hard to keep clean
I just don't put my hands on anything when i'm covered in grease :D

but generally any smudges wipe off with windex
allWorkNoPlay

Re: Update on Aaron's Fiero.

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

So you now want to install EIGHT speakers in a fiero.

I would get a pair of good two way six and a half inch speakers, make 'em work up front, a single ten inch subwoofer, a two channel amp, a mono, aftermarket head unit and call it a day.
Aaron wrote: We will be ordering a double din head unit here pretty soon, just waiting on a few ideas so I can figure out the best one. My requirements are double din, and they must illuminate in red. A remote is nice, and it must be CD/MP3. As for all the French numbers that they say mean something, my friend is picking the best one of those. Right after we order the deck I am going to order new 4x10s and 4x6s, and I am also going to add 2 new speakers, most likely 3-way 6x9s. All 6 soeakers will be run off of a seperate amp, mounted in the front of the car. Then we are going to add dual 10" subs, which will also have their own amp.

The only thing I want is it to look stock, or close to it. I don't want some exotic deck, and I don't want fucking sub boxes everywhere. So a lot of time and effort will go into placement of the new 6x9s and 10" subs.

So, what do you think? I'll be posting pics/links as this goes along. I guess this is my stereo build thread :afrocool:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I only want to install 6 speakers, then the 2 subs, so yah, that is 8 total.

I ordered the head unit last night, after a few shots which made it a bit easier to choose. The one that looked the prettiest got my Paypal. Not really though, a friend and I figured out exactly what I am going to use in terms of components, and just kept looking at decks. This deck is a Kenwood full-face, CD/MP3/Cassette, and illuminates in red, with the screen being 1 of 67 color choices, of which I'll use 1: Red.

Kohburn I think you are right that it is a 1.5, but I checked around and everyone I talked to said this deck will fit in physically. And if not, it will certainly fit after I'm done with it :angel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

As far as my interior, the stock look isn't too bad, it sure is growing on me! I have factory leather seats in EXCELLENT condition, so those are going to be staying a while. I'll be ordering the 6 speakers in a few days, so keep an eye out!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:Right after we order the deck I am going to order new 4x10s and 4x6s, and I am also going to add 2 new speakers, most likely 3-way 6x9s.
4x10's SUCK and 4x6's SUCK.

Go with 4x6 PLATES in the rear locations.

For the dash locations there are a couple of options:
Cut an adapter from fibreboard and run 6x9's in the 4x10 spot (adapter goes UNDER the dask so that you don't have a hideous fibreboard thing sticking out of your dash.)
OR... run two 4" with tweeter between them... kinda like a 4x10 plate that nobody makes.

Alternatively, do a little cutting on the dash and pack in 5 1/4" mids instead of 4" mids.

But stay away from 4x10 and 4x6 speakers.
Overall, oblong speakers suck. Round speakers are better. 6x9's aren't too bad... but a round 8" (approximately same cone area) will perform better.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'll look into that thanks for the advice!
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Overall, oblong speakers suck. Round speakers are better. 6x9's aren't too bad... but a round 8" (approximately same cone area) will perform better.
maybe for an audiophile but personally i like the performance of the 4x10's
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Kohburn wrote:
maybe for an audiophile but personally i like the performance of the 4x10's

Ans what do you call someone who builds a 3,000 watt sound system... with 8 speaksers... in a Fiero? :scratch: :thumbleft:
allWorkNoPlay

Post by allWorkNoPlay »

A lunatic.

Ans what do you call someone who builds a 3,000 watt sound system... with 8 speaksers... in a Fiero? :scratch: :thumbleft:
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

deaf?

audiophiles are the guys that complain about the sound quality from your home theatre becuase you aren't using gold plated connectors and monster component cables
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Kohburn wrote:
deaf?

audiophiles are the guys that complain about the sound quality from your home theatre becuase you aren't using gold plated connectors and monster component cables

Maybe "all of the above"

There's a difference between audiophility and OCD.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I thought audiophiles were mp3s, wavs, etc.. :scratch:
Isn't a pair of glasspacks a decent enough sound system?
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

Series8217 wrote:I thought audiophiles were mp3s, wavs, etc.. :scratch:
Isn't a pair of glasspacks a decent enough sound system?
:rotflmao:

thats a part of my sound system anyways - and is a BOV like a tweeter?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Hehehe, I'll be working on that sound system as well, just a bit later on!