Star Trek!

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

I forgot about rentals. Excellent idea, since according to some research I did its a short game. Thanks! I will try to find some time to check it out.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Star Trek!

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

I think some of you guys are missing the point here. The point of hollywood is to make money, just like every other business. The "trek" franchise has never made "real" money compared to other franchises. This latest movie is an attempt to make the trek franchise appeal to more people than just the trekkie base; in order to make more money. Face it, there aren't enough trekkies out there to make the franchise as profitable as Paramount wants. If there were, it would be and there wouldn't be the need to dumb down the new movie.

Star Wars was wildly successful, made (and still makes) tons of money, and it is a drama based story with science fiction as the backdrop. Paramount Pictures wants to transform Star Trek into something that makes big money like Star Wars did.

It's about the MONEY. Plain and simple.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

[quote="Sinister Fiero"]

It's about the MONEY. quote]

...and the hos.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Sinister Fiero wrote:I think some of you guys are missing the point here. The point of hollywood is to make money, just like every other business. The "trek" franchise has never made "real" money compared to other franchises. This latest movie is an attempt to make the trek franchise appeal to more people than just the trekkie base; in order to make more money. Face it, there aren't enough trekkies out there to make the franchise as profitable as Paramount wants. If there were, it would be and there wouldn't be the need to dumb down the new movie.

Star Wars was wildly successful, made (and still makes) tons of money, and it is a drama based story with science fiction as the backdrop. Paramount Pictures wants to transform Star Trek into something that makes big money like Star Wars did.

It's about the MONEY. Plain and simple.
I think it would be more accurate to say Star Wars was an action flick with Science Fiction as the backdrop, or at least more so than Star Trek. Even in the movies and especially in the TV shows, Star Trek was always more about the story than the action. There was always a message and something to be thought over and learned from, which appeals to a more limited audience. Star Wars had far more action and less plot, which tends to be more universally appealing. That's not a knock on Star Wars, it's actual to the series' benefit.

Semantics aside, I think you're right about Paramount's intentions. Star Trek isn't making enough money the way it's always been done, so they're trying something new, and you know what? It'll probably work.
<Insert Sig Here>
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Gonna see it tonight, anyone else going?
A.K.A. Chicken McNizzle on Old Europe
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Working hellweek this week (3 days 1 off 3 nights) so I am waiting till next weekend. I hate massive lines and packed theaters anyways.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

Probably not tonight, but likely this weekend.
<Insert Sig Here>
whipped

Post by whipped »

Seeing it tomorrow.

At the IMAX bitches!

:shock:
My fiero is aliiiive!!
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Saw it, I will make no comments till you guys see it - had a new trailer for G.I. Joe, what was a cool looking teaser now looks like a bad Street Fighter copy, all while making the trailer for Tranformers look even more awesome.
whipped

Post by whipped »

Loved it. That is all.
My fiero is aliiiive!!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

If you're not a Trekkie, it's probably a good movie. If you are a Trekkie, you'll hate it if you have any sense.
Boscolingus

Post by Boscolingus »

Agreed
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:If you're not a Trekkie, it's probably a good movie. If you are a Trekkie, you'll hate it if you have any sense.
I wasn't sure what to think, but in the end I enjoyed it.
<Insert Sig Here>
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »