BMW E9 (Car is on Page 2)

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: Who knows their old Webers?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Isn't theM30 a bit of a heavy engine? How well does the car handle?
CincinnatiFiero

Re: Who knows their old Webers?

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I can try to weigh my new motor if it ever shows up, it's been a month. I'll just need to find a scale, my M30 is similar to yours in your 535, you've just got .4 more litres and 28HP.

Found this on wikipedia, will have to address these when the motor shows up
Known Problems [1]

These problems may not necessarily apply to all versions of the M30 engine.

* An "oil spray bar" is mounted above the camshaft. This hollow metal tube has perforations on its underside that spray oil over the camshaft and rocker arms, but with time the two banjo bolts that hold the bar in place can loosen. As a result, oil passage through the spray bar will get restricted, and some of the camshaft and rocker arms may not get cooled and/or lubricated properly, leading to fatal wear.

* On some models, the return valve in the oil filter housing fails with time, thus making oil run out after stopping the engine, instead of keeping it in the housing. While not a critical problem, it results in the engine needing up to five seconds to build up proper oil pressure upon engine start. BMW replaced the oil filter housing with a more durable valve around 1991.

* While not a problem by design, the spacing between the valve rocker arms and the valves must be adjusted approximately every 30,000 km (20,000 miles). Failure to adjust might lead to poor running, increased fuel consumption, and engine wear.

* The engine fan is mounted with a viscous coupling that expands when heated. As the engine becomes warm, the coupling gets a better grip on the fan, thus leading to increased rotation of the fan, and more airflow. If this viscous coupling fails, the fan will only rotate relatively slowly (as driven by the engine by a V-belt), and will not provide sufficient cooling, leading to overheating. Overheating can extremely quickly lead to engine failure, such as a destroyed headgasket or a warped or partly melted cylinder head.
The 3.0CS competed with the 911 in its day, I've never driven one, I was offered this car and jumped on it. Closest thing I've ever driven was a 633csi, which is not all that similar.

Found a place that produces vaneer for a good price, and my girlfriends 80 year old grandfather is a big wood working hobbyist, he'll be in town soon and he is going to help me re-finish all the wood in the car. So the interior needs to come out soon.

Will I need brakes so I can get my 87 out of the warehouse.
CincinnatiFiero

Re: BMW E9 (Car is on Page 2)

Crawled through the car for the first time, she's rough, but definitely savable and I am going to give it a go.

Some cool custom wheels, repainted with new roundels, they should be hot on the black car
Car has a beautiful Nardi Steering wheel, sorry for crap pics
First project will be learning to vaneer
Seized motor has rebuilt carbs on it, and two different air cleaners, both appear to have K&N filters, only one is K&N housing, I'll buy another from Bavarian Autosport, I think they look better than the big grey airbox (I do have one though)
Stereo work in this car is top notch, 75watts @ 4ohms... peak
Surprise! Stock rims!
These cars have the coolest keys ever!
An unmarked bag of pills, everything on this car with a date on it is 1987 or 1988... X???
Sat my camera on the ground to check the chassis, decent
CincinnatiFiero

Never posted a pic of the car... derrrr
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Looks like a neat resto project. :good:
CincinnatiFiero

I would argue it is one of the sexiest cars. Not the fastest, not the meanest, not the best handling, not even the most luxurious of its day. But god they are fucking pretty.
http://bmwe9.hu/cs1.jpg
(click the link, the picture is too big to image code)
CincinnatiFiero

Found the spare

These cars have zippers on the shift boot, not sure why

Lots of de-wiring needs to go down

Think I found a lot of the missing tools

Tested the manual sunroof today, she still works! Yes, they manage to break.
S8n

Post by S8n »

A little TLC and that thing will be PIMP! For fun, you need to take it to the local BMW dealer and ask them to do a tune-up. You'll see some techs run.
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
CincinnatiFiero

Haha

Well I just got a free 533i, need anything will? I am going to jack the 3.5L long block and the cool mesh rims and give the rest away.
CincinnatiFiero

Got the motor yesterday, as expected its been raped and makes no compression yeah it will *run* like ad said... just not... well... at all. So now I am on the hunt for M10 oversize pistons. Going to try to save my dead block and use the new head.
CincinnatiFiero

The motor has a complete set of zeniths on it, so now I have 3 pairs of carbs for this car, I believe the ones on the car are webers, so 2 sets of webers and 1 set of zeniths.

I also got a spare Getrag off the guy
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Haha

Well I just got a free 533i, need anything will? I am going to jack the 3.5L long block and the cool mesh rims and give the rest away.
That's an E28, right?
CincinnatiFiero wrote: I also got a spare Getrag off the guy
Can't see pics right now. Is that a 265?
CincinnatiFiero

Yes its like an 81 E28, forgot you are E34.

Not a 265, I believe it is a 262 I could be wrong. The 265 is a 5 speed, I have a 4speed. The 265 is a common upgrade.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

What are the cam specs on the 33? I've heard that the 733's had a bit more cam than the later 35's and that the 33 cam is worth a handful of ponies on a 35.

When I turbo my car, I'll probably be swapping in the 265 from an E30 M3. It's even stronger than the regular 265 because it has a 3.35 first instead of 3.83 or whatever the normal first is.