Xanth's Interior Build

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Xanth

Re: Xanth's Interior Build

Post by Xanth »

Been awhile since I've updated my interior, car has been ticking me off and I'm looking for a replacement daily but still had a few ideas.

One I believe I'll actually have made soon is a repro Performance Sound slider overlay, but the wording on it will glow soft red like the rest of the dash and the slider itself will have a red glow dot.

Not like I adjust the thing constantly, but it seems like it really should glow being as its a usable control.

In addition, I want to make the headlight switch labels glow. Will be a bit more difficult to make that actually look good, but I believe I can do it.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Sounds good! I'll be watching to see how you accomplish these. The headlight switch is solid plastic, with printed labels, so I'd imagine you'd need to find another switch that had transparent lettering on the face. Same for the slider above now that I think about it.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Emc209i wrote:Sounds good! I'll be watching to see how you accomplish these. The headlight switch is solid plastic, with printed labels, so I'd imagine you'd need to find another switch that had transparent lettering on the face. Same for the slider above now that I think about it.
Plan for the overhead is to cast a mold of the plate, and pour a new part in clear resin with red/orange LED back lighting. Getting just the lettering to glow may be a trick.

Still working out now to do the light switch, perhaps a resin insert that would mount into the face of the stock switch.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Okay, I should actually be getting this project on the road this weekend. I just ahd hernia surgery yesterday which leavse me unable to work, or do much else for quite awhile. the medications also arent heloping my typing skills any

In any case, i now have tons of time and no reason not to start this porjhect. I've got a spare performance sound conlsle ill be using to make a mold, and casting the part in resin. I'll then haev to see if paint will be enough to limit the gliow. I don't want the entire piece to glow, prefereably just the lettering.

edit: I'll cime back through when I'mn not all fucked up and fix this post.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Xanth wrote:Okay, I should actually be getting this project on the road this weekend. I just ahd hernia surgery yesterday which leavse me unable to work, or do much else for quite awhile. the medications also arent heloping my typing skills any

In any case, i now have tons of time and no reason not to start this porjhect. I've got a spare performance sound conlsle ill be using to make a mold, and casting the part in resin. I'll then haev to see if paint will be enough to limit the gliow. I don't want the entire peice to glow, prefereably just the lettering.

edit: I'll cime back through when I'mn not all fucked up and fix this post.
Oh you will will you? :-D
lucky

Post by lucky »

I forgot about this post. :Bravo:
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

lucky wrote:I forgot about this post. :Bravo:
lol, I totally forgot even making that post. :-D

I do actually have the stuff for making the part though.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

Alrighty, I just poured the resin for the prototype part. If I didn't totally bugger up the hardener ratios I should have a picture of the prototype piece tonight.

I'll definitely have to be making a new mold, this one flexes slightly and throws off the shape a little bit. Have to make it thicker and support it more to prevent any distortion.

This actually the only time I regret not having a blowdryer, waiting for the latex mold stuff to dry sucks.

Edit: I may very well have managed to screw up the hardener stuff, the remaining resin in my mixing bowl is solid, the part itself is not :no: I'll leave it overnight see what happens.
Xanth

Post by Xanth »

And finally, a few prototype pics:

Not good enough for use in the car yet, but it does get me a base to improve from. I need to get the hardener mixed better, as well as the mold needs some reinforcing. The resin didn't hold the small grooves well because it failed to harden properly, and the mold warps a bit. I expect the next mold/piece will be a significant improvement over this one.

I do however now know that the idea will work.