oil filter adaptor from 3.1

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

p8ntman442
cant get enough of this site!

oil filter adaptor from 3.1

Post by p8ntman442 »

my 95 achieva 3.1 has a adaptor that bolts into the oil filter location and then allows for the oil filter to be attached at 90 deg's from the block surface. In otherwords, its much easier to change the oil filter. Does anyone know if they fit the other 60deg engines?? It seemes they should. If not, I will check this weekend when I put it on the lift for an oil change. My only concern is that it may put the oil filter in contact with the front cross member on the fiero cradle. but a 1040 filter isnt that long, so I think it may fit.

Also, the 3.1 uses an aluminum oil pan, does it use a different pan than a fiero 2.8? my al. block has a different (bigger pan) and the exhaist still clears under it, so I think the achieva pan may work as well.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

just get an oil filter relocation kit from summit or ebay for 35$

I had to relocate mine because the intercooler blocks access to it
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

Kohburn wrote:just get an oil filter relocation kit from summit or ebay for 35$

I had to relocate mine because the intercooler blocks access to it
thanks, not to sound like a dick, but that dosent answer the question. I dont need to relocate the filter, I was just thinking if it was a possible swap, that I would grab one next time im at the jy. I know where I can get a complete 3.1 running for free, just not worth my time right now, I dont need it.

anyone else?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I knoW WHAT YOU are talking about. I have one of those too. It will fit. Or at least it should. It shares the same thread pattern as the regular screw in adapter.

I want to say the mount needs its own bolt to screw into the block. SO you need to unscrew the plug that is in the oil filter location now, and then mount the adapter using the bolt provided by screwing it into the same location.

I have one I pulled off of my crate 3100. Sold the crate but kept that adapter because it would make it easier to change the filter with less mess.

This oil pan that you have that is aluminum, is it from a 3100? Does it have the crossbolted holes for hte main caps of the 3100? If so that bolt pattern to mount the pan to the block is different on the 3100 then it is for your style block as well as any earlier style block before the 3X00's came out.

Hope this helps

Hey how about posting pics of that broken head bolt boss on your head
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
p8ntman442

Post by p8ntman442 »

the oil pan is on a 95 3100 and is stock, guess it wont work. The oil filter adaptor is exactly as you describe it, and If I get to the jy anytime soon I will get one, cause it makes it so much easier to change the filter, and no oil drainback either. Also the 3.4tdc oil cooler will fit this block as well, maybee I will put mine on there if I can find it.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

if you could get the oil cooler on there that would be great too. Not sure if you could get the cooler and adapter on there togethor but worth a shot I guess.