I shot a sniper rifle.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

I shot a sniper rifle.

Post by Aaron »

Went to the store, bought 2 boxes of ammo, total $107 for 20 rounds. Went out to the middle of bum fuck egypt, and put a standard person-shaped target up 2,000 yards downrange. Drove back, dialed the scope in, and pretty much put about half of the shots into the target. Not bad, not bad at all, a 50% kill ratio at over a mile out.

I guess I should divulge that I was shooting a Barrett 50 caliber semi-auto rifle. It was a fucking cannon. I had the bipod on the back of a Dodge 2500 Ram with a flat bet, and it shook the entire truck with every shot. And it made the 4 cars parked behind us shake. It didn't kick too bad, very similar to a 12 gauge. The sound was also much like a 12 gauge, just amplified about 8 times. It was horrifically loud. Fucking cannon. I wish I had something more interesting to shoot at, I wanted to see what it'd do to a SBC block, but maybe next time. The coolest part, was that you'd fire, then move your head up out of the scope, and look at the target through naked eye. Then wait for a second. Then you'd see the puff of dirt. It was really weird how much of a time gap there was.

I'd never buy one, because I'm afraid the rifle will stop the Earth's rotation, but it was pretty fucking awesome.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: I shot a sniper rifle.

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, .50 cals are beasts. The concussion from a round leaving the barrel is like punching yourself in the face. This tripod didn't have any sand bags on the legs and it was almost jumping out of its divots when the weapon fired.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

50 cals are awesome, I would love to fire one someday.

I have a movie called "A Fighter Pilots Story". It's about a P-47 pilot during WWII. He said the 8 50 cal machine guns would slow his airplane 25-30mph in a dive from the recoil. That would be an impressive sight.
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

They say the 30mm cannon on an A-10 has so much recoil that, if it could carry enough ammunition, it would make the plane eventually stop and go backwards.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

Funny, I did the same thing this weekend. Fun times!

'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair