996tt vs C6 Z06

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

S8n

Re: 996tt vs C6 Z06

Post by S8n »

eHoward wrote:The Z06 seems like the *smarter* way to go. The 996 is what I want.

Will, women aren't a factor into my decision making progress. If they were, at these prices, an F355 convertible or 456 would be pretty tempting.

Indy wrote: Everything I've seen indicates that the Z06 can be hustled around a track faster than a 996 but it will take much, much more work from the driver. But you already know all of this. Which one do you really want?
*cough* E39 M5 or E46 M3 *cough*
-Chuck
chukjagr@hotmail.com
'87 GT *Now can be seen at V8Archie's!* www.fotki.com/8balls
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:Don't pretend like you give a shit about reliability or running costs if you want to suggest the GTR...
Just don't use the launch control and you won't frag transmissions... Everything else is under warrantee, right?
CincinnatiFiero

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

I don't know why they'd put a car into production that has a feature that will grenade the car after 10 runs. Seems stupid to me. I know a guy that has one, it is a monster of a car though.

M39 M5 is one of my all time favorite cars, until the E60 came along. M5s are my favorite cars, the power of a ferrari, seating for 5, and a big trunk, if you want practicality, buy an M5, Corvette can't hold a candle to it. Plus BMWs warranty is better than the Chevy. I suppose you could go for a brand new E90/92 M3 and still be in your price range. Don't know why I didn't think of that.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

CincinnatiFiero wrote:I don't know why they'd put a car into production that has a feature that will grenade the car after 10 runs. Seems stupid to me. I know a guy that has one, it is a monster of a car though.
Because it wasn't supposed to be a "launch control" feature in the first place. The program was meant for getting the car unstuck from mud or snow, but some enterprising hoons figured out that it basically functioned like "launch control" on dry pavement. Unfortunately, since it was never designed for that kind of shock-loading, and...well, you know the rest.
<Insert Sig Here>
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Where'd you read that?

I think it's more likely that the requirements for the transmission were conveyed to Borg Warner(?) early in the development process for the car. The car's weight then grew and to maintain performance Nissan grew engine power, leaving the transmission behind.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

There is no way in hell I'd take an M5 over a vette or porsche for track use.

As for the GTR, it's a fat pig. It's not overbuilt like the Skyline was which is too bad. Most aftermarket companies are afraid to get much more power out of it. $20k transmissions are not something you want to frag. The 2010 GTR doesn't have a launch control feature which is fine. The car was not built for drag racing, it's supposed to be a track monster, which it is.
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Where'd you read that?

I think it's more likely that the requirements for the transmission were conveyed to Borg Warner(?) early in the development process for the car. The car's weight then grew and to maintain performance Nissan grew engine power, leaving the transmission behind.
The GTR's chief vehicle engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno, via this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1bHGaV-Lvw

Fast-forward to the 3-minute mark for the explanation.
<Insert Sig Here>
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

A GTR is like twice what either the 996 or zo6 cars go for at auction. And then I'd have to deal with Nissan bullshit when stuff breaks. I have enough trouble having them replace clutch safety switches and radios on my girfriend's Z, let alone a transmission that some other knucklehead did just enough launches on that it brakes while I'm shifting on to third on the high way.

I entertained doing an E46 M3, but I think I've got to swap in a m5 engine for it to compete with the 996. Not looking for another project. And I'm not racing an M5. That just doesn't make any sense. I could dig the e46 M3 as a daily driver though.