A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

CincinnatiFiero

Super cool porsche thingy

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

Indy

Re: Super cool porsche thingy

Post by Indy »

Best 356 evar. Except for the one I made in Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed.

Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The greatest Porsche ever is still just a Porsche. No better or worse than a Kia, Daewoo or Yugo. BTW, anyone know of a cheap Yugo for sale within a few miles of me, that I can put one of my V8s into?
CincinnatiFiero

Sounds like you've only ever driven a 924.

Get in a 911 and tell us what you think, hell even a 912, handles similar just nothing in the straight line.

You can't find yugos, they have literally disappeared, the cars rusted on the boat on the way over.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:The greatest Porsche ever is still just a Porsche. No better or worse than a Kia, Daewoo or Yugo. BTW, anyone know of a cheap Yugo for sale within a few miles of me, that I can put one of my V8s into?
Ha. Haha. BWAHAHAHAH!!!! Try driving a new 911 turbo. It won't be long until you realize there are few cars with that overall level of performance and luxury. The AWD is fantastic, the handling is superb, and the power is awesome. Next to a Z06, even the almighty LSX must bow.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Aaron wrote:
Atilla the Fun wrote:The greatest Porsche ever is still just a Porsche. No better or worse than a Kia, Daewoo or Yugo. BTW, anyone know of a cheap Yugo for sale within a few miles of me, that I can put one of my V8s into?
Ha. Haha. BWAHAHAHAH!!!! Try driving a new 911 turbo. It won't be long until you realize there are few cars with that overall level of performance and luxury. The AWD is fantastic, the handling is superb, and the power is awesome. Next to a Z06, even the almighty LSX must bow.
Don't you mean "next to a 911, even the mighty LSX Z06 must bow"? Because the Z06 is powered by the LSX.
911s are interesting, fast, and have a niche, but behind the rear wheels is no place for an engine, never was, and never will be.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote: Don't you mean "next to a 911, even the mighty LSX Z06 must bow"? Because the Z06 is powered by the LSX.
911s are interesting, fast, and have a niche, but behind the rear wheels is no place for an engine, never was, and never will be.
Yah I meant "Next to a 911, even the mighty LSX must bow. The LSX makes the Z06 what it is.

They are interesting, faster than a Z06, and have a niche bitch slapping Vettes, so behind the rear wheels seems to be working out for them :)
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:but behind the rear wheels is no place for an engine, never was, and never will be.
What makes you say that? There are a lot of reasons why it's a great place for an engine.
CincinnatiFiero

It is a totally different feeling than an FR, but you get good traction, more room for front suspensions, different balance, etc. part of why porsche used it though was the engines were air cooled. It has worked enough that they have been doing it for the better part of 60 years now. Doesn't mean everyone should do it, but I like something to be different. If every car was a fast front engine rear wheel drive with a big V8, life would be boring.

The old 911s push kind of hard in a corner, so the lighter 912 with a shorter motor handles better, and some guys say the 912 is more fun to drive, I disagree. The handing is *better* but the 912 never can go fast enough to find that limit.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

I have several books on Porsche, one of them contains a Qoute from Ferdinand himself, near the end of his life that the rear placement was regrettable, and the ideal placement is csomewhere between the axles.
The 911 is now up to 3520 pounds, where the ZR1 is around 3300. The top 911 is around 500 HP, while the ZR1 is 638, and is a pulley, headers and tune away from 800. That leaves performance in the twisties, and the ZR1 will turn quicker lap times. It set a Nurburgring record that no 911 has beaten.
And best yet, for less than the price of a new 911, you can get a new Vette and add a supercharger, change the tires, and still be out front.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

The turbo pushed as well, probably weight distribution and tires. The thing had like 315 rear and 245 front lol. But it'd only push if you were decelerating in the corner. As soon as you hit the gas, it tracked well, and if the turboes kicked in, it'd kick the tail out, and the AWD makes the oversteer in that car just fantastic and easy to control.

The Vette is in a different league, and made for different buyers, than the turbo 911 is. It also says Porsche on it, not Chevrolet. The ZR1 may be superior at a race track, but if you're looking to buy a midlife crisis car and have a spare quarter million, a Chevrolet is not very high on the list, at all.
CincinnatiFiero

Aaron wrote: The Vette is in a different league, and made for different buyers, than the turbo 911 is. It also says Porsche on it, not Chevrolet. The ZR1 may be superior at a race track, but if you're looking to buy a midlife crisis car and have a spare quarter million, a Chevrolet is not very high on the list, at all.

Exactly, this is the same idea I was getting at with the Range Rover Supercharged and the SRT8, while the SRT8 is better bang for buck, its different classes.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

WTF is it with people and "classes" and panache and such? Success acquiring money or influence or fame, or even all three, doesn't make anyone superior to anyone else. Porsche doesn't mean elite, it means specialty. If you choose a Porsche over a ZR1 because of the manufacturer, you are truly stupid. Aaron is correct that they're made for different buyers. PT Barnum's famous saying well fits Porsche buyers. The ZR1 is not only superior on the 'ring, it's superior in day-to-day live-ability. Built by a manufacturer that surpasses all others at such things. You GM haters can give me your Fieros and parts and go have all the Porsches you want, my Trans Am will still make you look slow.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Atilla the Fun wrote:You GM haters can give me your Fieros and parts and go have all the Porsches you want, my Trans Am will still make you look slow.
How's the interior on your Trans Am? Like the center console? How about the t-top seals? The door panels? The radio? F-bodies are pieces of shit, bumper to bumper, minus the drivetrain and suspension. I drive the most expensive one made almost daily, it's a piece of shit. I drove an E46 M3 last time I was in Cali, and there was no comparison. By your thinking, the F-body is better, it was quicker in a straight line. Think Honda versus Acura. There's a reason people buy the Acura, even though the powertrains are the same.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Indy

Post by Indy »

Atilla the Fun wrote:WTF is it with people and "classes" and panache and such? Success acquiring money or influence or fame, or even all three, doesn't make anyone superior to anyone else. Porsche doesn't mean elite, it means specialty. If you choose a Porsche over a ZR1 because of the manufacturer, you are truly stupid. retard is correct that they're made for different buyers. PT Barnum's famous saying well fits Porsche buyers. The ZR1 is not only superior on the 'ring, it's superior in day-to-day live-ability. Built by a manufacturer that surpasses all others at such things. You GM haters can give me your Fieros and parts and go have all the Porsches you want, my Trans Am will still make you look slow.
The point behind buying a Porsche is that they have cupholders.

Seriously though...People buy cars that they want. People don't all want the same thing. That doesn't mean we're GM haters.

To most people who have a 996 or something like that, day-to-day livability means absolutely fuck-all. They've got an SL55 for their dirty daily drive...
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aaron wrote:But it'd only push if you were decelerating in the corner.
This is an AWD characteristic. DSM's do it and have exactly the opposite weight distro as the Porsche. My 6000 does it. It has to do with engine overrun torque applying negative drive force in the direction the steering wheels are pointed. Think about it.
Atilla the Fun wrote:I have several books on Porsche, one of them contains a Qoute from Ferdinand himself, near the end of his life that the rear placement was regrettable, and the ideal placement is csomewhere between the axles.
I'm not sure I agree with that.
Gordon Murray (design lead on the McLaren F1) said that the automotive problem is fundamentally one of packaging.
I think that a rear engine car can be packaged to concentrate mass just as tightly as a mid-engine design can. It can not, however, do that if it has a *back seat*, the continued presence of which in Carreras never ceases to amaze me. It's just that much empty space that pushes the big masses of the car apart.

A rear engine car will have a more extreme weight distribution than a mid-engine car, but this is NOT an impediment at all. With a lower fraction of the car's weight on the front tires, the front tires can stay narrow for excellent road and contact patch feel (think Lotus Elise with 185's up front).

The rear engine car will have even better traction than the mid engine car, due to the more extreme weight distribution.

The rear engine car will make better use of braking traction at all four corners because of its extreme rear weight distribution.

I think that a rear engine two seater with the ethos and intent of the Cayman would be the best handling production Porsche EVER. The fact that Porsche continues to build the Carrera as a 2+2 is baffling to me.
Indy

Post by Indy »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
I think that a rear engine two seater with the ethos and intent of the Cayman would be the best handling production Porsche EVER. The fact that Porsche continues to build the Carrera as a 2+2 is baffling to me.
Especially considering that the Carrera's 2+2 is much closer to a 2 + 1-1/2.
CincinnatiFiero

Atilla the Fun wrote:Built by a manufacturer that surpasses all others at such things. You GM haters can give me your Fieros and parts and go have all the Porsches you want, my Trans Am will still make you look slow.
We're not GM haters, I own 5, ask will how many he has, ask all the others. Hell this is a GM forum.

All GM has surpassed are some loan bills.

When you spend $90-$130k you should buy something that gets YOUR motor going, what excites you. Some of us are into the passion of a Ferrari (top gear cliche) or the watch like precision of a Porsche. Buy whatever you want, its your money. What gets me going, probably isn't what gets you going, probably isn't what lights Wills fire, probably isn't what gets Aaron off.

Yes a trans am with a big fucking turbo will smoke the shit out of any Ferrari. You are absolutely right. But it will never drive like a factory car, big cams make idles rough, turbos are noisy, coil overs ride like shit, modded 4L80s shift hard, etc. A Ferrari is a fine tuned machine, and you pay a premium for that, if you don't like that, fine. That is your prerogative, but buying a Porsche or Ferrari is mine. Watching a $30k Trans Am outrun a $100k 360 Modena on a DragStrip won't change my mind, it's just the kind of cars I like.

Why do you think I built a 3800SC fiero? For like $4k I have a baller fucking car. I understand bang for buck. Dollar for Dollar not much around here is faster. Except for the guy with a GenV intercooled, cammed, 2.6" pulley'd 86GT. I out accelerate any honda, outbrake any focus, outhandle any integra, all in the same price range. But my car will never work the way a purpose built car will. A lot can be said for the way a car comes off the lot.
Last edited by CincinnatiFiero on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CincinnatiFiero

Indy wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:
Especially considering that the Carrera's 2+2 is much closer to a 2 + 1-1/2.
I can stuff my girlfriends sister and my little sister in the back of the 912. They are 12 and 17. When I was 14 or so I used to ride around in the backseat with my dad and his friend in his 911. You can stick kids back there, it makes it easier to sell it to your wife.