Tach pegging when ignition is turned on

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Tach pegging when ignition is turned on

Post by AkursedX »

I've had this problem for a while, but since I haven't been driving my Fiero, I haven't asked anyone about how to fix it.

What happens is when I turn my igntion on, my tach pegs for a second then drops, I also hear what sounds like the fuel pump overload, then drops back to the normal sound.

When I go to start it, it then takes like 6-7 seconds of turning over before it finally cranks.

Now if I just turn the key real fast so the tach doesn't peg, it'll start up just fine.

It sounds like electrical gremlins, but I'm not sure of what or how to fix it. If I pull the fuel pump fuse, it still does it. Should I go along pulling fuses to try to find which circuit is the culprit? Anyone else have any ideas.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Just a wild guess, but if your cold start injector is leaking and you let the fuel pump charge the line for a few seconds you could have a temporary rich condition when you turn the key. When you turn the key fast you don't give it a chance to leak.

Just a guess, any kind of smoke on startup?