need new clutch

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Shaun41178(2)

need new clutch

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

so something happened to the clutch or the tranny in my whip so I am looking for something new. Basically I think the pressure plate is fubared or something jammed in it as I can't get the clutch tto disengage with the motor running. Hydraulics are fine.

So since I am taking it all apart, I am not planning on putting this motor back in. instead I plan to put the 3500 aluminum head itb setup in so I need a clutch that can hold 500 lb ft of tq at the wheels. My current held about 500 wheel for maybe 4 months but I need something stronger.

I plan to use an aluminum flywheel so that limits me to the stock sized clutch face. I am thinking spec even though I have heard mixed results. I am done with sprung clutches. I don't want to have to worry about springs popping out anymore. I can never keep it straight if its the 3+ of the 4 that is non sprung from spec

Jinx, I know you had a couple of specs right? you are swapping to a auto though now right?

I am looking to make as much hp as tq as I am going to a big cam so down low tq will be less but mid and top will be more and a slightly larger turbo then I have now so there will be a bit more lag too.

suggestions?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Re: need new clutch

Post by AkursedX »

I know Will is always talking about a twin-plate Tilton clutch. Why don't you see if that's an option. I think that would be your best bet to hold that kind of power.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

What's your timeframe?

I have the designs drawn up for the parts to pack a Tilton cerametallic 2 disk into a 282. There are pressure plate options to go well over 650 ftlbs of capacity.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

2-3 months
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I have the flywheel button and the throw out bearing holder designed. That will get the clutch into the bellhousing.

I do not have a bigger slave cylinder designed, so you'll have pretty high pedal load, very short travel and will need a clutch pedal stop to keep from over travelling the pressure plate.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

dual-disc?