hydraulic engine mounts

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Blue Shift

Re: hydraulic engine mounts

Post by Blue Shift »

No.
teamlseep13

Post by teamlseep13 »

You do not want them. I am a Cadillac tech and I replace those things about every 50-70k miles on any FWD Northstar setup.
Since they are close to the exhaust manifold they get hot, the rubber weakens, and along with all the torque the Northstar and the 4t80 make they tear and separate leaking all the nasty hyd. fluid. Not worth it.
Cadillac designed the mount setup on the Northstar to control engine movement without any transfer of NVH to the passenger compartment.
The new DTS mount set up is slightly different than the older Deville/Seville setup and they incorporated a heat shield into the front mount but I have still seen them tear around 100k miles.
1988 Pontiac Fiero

Ecotec swap taking much too long...
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

The Quad 4 uses them on the front of the motor on the early mount style. They too tear easily, and are not cheap to replace, $150-$200 each!!
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

I've heard a lot about fluid filled engine mounts, but have never actually seen one.

I have, however, seen plenty of fluid *covered* engine mounts.

That silicone fluid beat out CV joint grease as the nastiest substance to work with on a car, IMNSHO.