Reconsidering mounting

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Atilla the Fun

Reconsidering mounting

Post by Atilla the Fun »

12-16-2006 12:03 AM

flames4me,
Were your trans AND motor solid mounted? I've personally seen 3 Fiero getrags break similar this. All were V-8s with a solid motor mount and poly (or rubber) trans mounts. It seems to me like the solid motor mount coupled with trans mounts that allow for more movement, would cause high levels of torsional stress along the axis of the trans where most getrags seem to break. Coupling the torsional stress from dis-similar mounts and the internal stresses of a high torque launch sounds like the perfect trans destroyer to me.
But, if your motor and trans were both solid mounted then my theory is caca...
Scott

Could this have any merit? Could a rigid enough cradle really help keep a Getrag 282 together? Yeah, it'd take a half dozen solid mounts on the trans, and another half dozen on the engine, but if doing all that would help, it might be worth a try.
Blue Shift

Re: Reconsidering mounting

Post by Blue Shift »

I'm not sure I'd want to solid mount anything. I thought some flex softens the peak force the driveline experiences. Like hitting something made of cast aluminum with a 2 lb rubber hammer vs a 2 lb steel hammer.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

So then a steel cage rubber mounted to the cradle? I think I'll table that unless / until I start killing NSX 5-speeds.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

I am not a huge fan of having a tranny mount attached to the differential housing. On my SBC fiero the rear mount is off the engine starter pad, not the tranny differential.

I am in favor of some type of differnetial support/girdle and on my F40 swap the adapter plate will extend past and be bolted to the differnetial.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Even so, the adapter plate alone is entirely responsible for the trans and all the forces acting on it. That's just not gonna survive serious performance, especially with the plate only 1/8" thick. Better go with a 1/4" plate, then mill 1/8" off the trans to compensate.