Starting a 2.0L w/ pics

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

CincinnatiFiero

Re: Starting a 2.0L w/ pics

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

We started pulling the motor last night on my 84, the mounts just feel bad but once it is out, we'll see.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Work safely, parts are secondary.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

This project is dying unfinished because the idea was to have it running by winter, but I found it easier to finish the '85 Ford 4-door LTD. With that having 4 new snow tires on it, and with it being a more disposable car than an irreplaceable Fiero, there's no longer any reason to pursue this 2.0L swap. Out with the 2.0, in with the 305.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

fieroguru wrote:Ove the winter I am planning on removing the hinge boxes as well but keeping the hinges. Just take the existing lower part of the hinge that bolts to the hinge box, make it shorter and rotate it back up under the rear glass frame/tube. I will probably add a formed peice of 1/8" steel (maybe 6"x6")to wrap from the bottom side of the window tube and down about 3-4" on the firewall to help spread the load. This will eliminate the hinge boxes and retain a hinged decklid.

Jefrysuko gave me the idea at the 25th.
Atilla the Fun wrote:If you do that, how far will the lid be able to open? Certainly not as far as stock, not by half. Now that I've made some progress on the pins (A new thread in tech for the 2 of you who asked for details) I moved on, and got the power steering pump back on the engine, so I could get enough belt wrap on the water pump pulley.
Picked up an 88 parts car today and can give you a better visual of this mod. The ruler that is laying flat under the glass support tube is just about in-line with the bent leg of the stock hinge. Cut off the lower leg that bends down and weld the plate that attaches under the glass across the width of the remaining stock hinge (about 3-4" wide). Doing it this way eliminates the hinge boxes while retaining full range of motion for the hood.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

It sounded good, until the second pic confused me.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

The 2nd pic just shows how wide the hinge is in this area. Just cut along the existing cut line through the lower part of the hinge and have a 3-4" wide area to weld the new piece too.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Okay, now I see what the extra metal is. Thanks. I only removed the passenger side hinge box, so I may only have half as much work to do. That's awfully low on my priorities right now, however.