LS4 w/ T76 as ultimate choice

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

darkhorizon

Re: LS4 w/ T76 as ultimate choice

Post by darkhorizon »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:
darkhorizon wrote: Did a single T6 setup with my buddies built bigshot 358 SBC.. Spool was way better for traction on normal tires (boost comes up way slower than with twins due to inertia of the big heavy wheels), and was a faster car from a 60 roll due to the fact that it just made more power, with less flow according to the compressor maps.

I wont lie that twin T4s are a damn decent alternative to the T6 setup, but if you have the cubic inches, no reason not to go single for the pure manners of it, and the power curve is more manageable to me. The single most important part of the single vs twin debate to me is shift lag on a twin turbo setup is quite significant compared to a single turbo setup if you are running a street car manual transmission.
Ahh... so "street manners" to you means staying out of boost... That's ok with a built SBC because it has torque off boost. I saw a Supra single dyno sheet a while back in which had 150 ftlbs at 4000 RPM and 550 ftlbs at 5000 RPM. I don't call that a manageable powerband.

Think about what you're saying here... In one paragraph you say that the twins have worse street manners because they build boost faster, but in the next paragraph, you say they're worse at the strip with a stick because of transient response. Figure it out, mang.
Think about what you are saying....

When you start at me with 2JZ talk, you are really asking for it, as that is the only area I know more about than fieros...

The motor in my buddies mk4 (installed and tuned by me, in my garage), runs a T74GTQ... But he got that motor from a guy running twin GT35rs.... Great setup, it made 200whp more than he does on the single... but the powercurve was horrible, unless he revved to 8200.

Now you bring in the 3.0L 2jz when we are talking about something that is nearly double the displacement... its not even worthy to continue I really just do not have the time to explain myself completely, so it was just a bad idea for me to open my mouth on this subject.
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

You should try comparing setups with equal flow and power numbers. Like no shit a setup with 200 more hp might lag more.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

darkhorizon wrote:The motor in my buddies mk4 (installed and tuned by me, in my garage), runs a T74GTQ... But he got that motor from a guy running twin GT35rs.... Great setup, it made 200whp more than he does on the single... but the powercurve was horrible, unless he revved to 8200.

Now you bring in the 3.0L 2jz when we are talking about something that is nearly double the displacement... its not even worthy to continue I really just do not have the time to explain myself completely, so it was just a bad idea for me to open my mouth on this subject.
You're attributing the wrong cause to the wrong effect. If I sum up what you've said above, you're asserting that single turbos have better street manners than twins because a 358 cid Chevy was more driveable with a big single than a 2JZ was with big twins.