My Fiero Gets a Makeover

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

Chris-Nelson

My Fiero Gets a Makeover

Post by Chris-Nelson »

Well I know that a lot of key members of this forum have given me a large amount of guff in the past over how my car looks, and I thought it would be fun to show some updated pics of my car here.

Early this year:

Updated pic of how it looks now:

Well, what do you guys think? I love the new look and I'm not changing a thing until next summer. I'm getting it professionally painted and I'm going with the silver that the new Honda S2000's use.

I'm replacing my front bumper at that time so that I can delete the vents on the sides.

I'm also planning on getting the carbon fiber rear deck from KitKar. Then I'll quit messing with the body and concentrate on the engine swap...
eHoward
Banned

Re: My Fiero Gets a Makeover

Post by eHoward »

Looking better.

why don't you get rid of that hideous buldge on the hood and the thing hanging off the front bumper while you're at it.
Chris-Nelson wrote: I'm replacing my front bumper at that time so that I can delete the vents on the sides.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

I think it is done semi-tastefully, tho not the way I would go.

Leave the hood and front bumper, but paint the bumper body colored. I also think you need some sort of rear diffuser/lower spoiler to complete the front and side body kit. Other than that it doesn't look too bad, and I like it a lot better than how it was.

What motor are you swapping into it?
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I'm NOT getting rid of the cowl hood scoop and I'm NOT getting rid of the front chin-spoiler.

Although I am considering painting the front and rear bumpers all silver (No black portions) because if I like it better with the black parts, I can always add that later.

I'm planning on building a turbocharged 350 for it for next winter's project.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

So a turbo 350 huh?

So using V8Archie's kit that's what, a 13 second e/t instead of a 14? Not bad for $8,000 (Well, probably $12k with the turbo...)
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I'm hoping to get into the 12's with a turbo'd 350 SBC.

This is an example of the color that I'll get it painted...

Aaron

Post by Aaron »

12s shouldn't be hard, so long as your tuning is well taken care of (Decent EFI).

I like that color, it is a bit darker, which I like. But his paintjob isn't well taken care of from what I can see. Still looks pretty sharp.
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

I'm going out on a limb here, and everybody should feel to insult my taste, but I think it looked a little better with the wing on there. Here's why:

As far as swoopy ricer wings go, that one doesn't actually look half bad. It also balances out the car a little bit. The enormous cowl hood and the chin spoiler add visual weight to the front of the car. The side skirts do the same thing for the sides, and the wing did the same thing for the rear. Without the wing, the car looks a little nose heavy.

If you insist on a cowl hood, and it sounds like you do, I think it would look better if the bulge was about half the height of the current one. Another thing that might be cool would be to "invert" the stock hood. Stock, it dips down just a bit in the center. I'm not talking about the peak in the center, but that the middle half is about 1/4" - 1/2" (?) lower than the ouside half. How about keeping the same curves and lines, but raising this about that same distance above fender level instead of below? Either one of those things would reduce the visual weight of the front.

Then find a similar height cowl to graft onto the decklid to add some visual weight to make up for the missing spoiler. I've seen one off of a Mustang or something that looks good and blends in nicely.

I'm not a big fan of the chin spoiler, either. Have you seen the one that Michael Smith did? I've seen it in person and it looks good. I think the best looking thing somebody could do would be to take his design, but extend the solid part of the nose down a bit so the hole isn't quite as big.

Then, a little smaller side skirts to even everything out. I don't think the current ones blend too well at the front edge of the door, but I can't think of any easy way to fix that.

So basically, the same design that you have, but toned down just a(nother) notch.

That S2000 silver is a great color. It'll look great with your wheels.

I think the fastback GT has incredibly clean, nice lines right out of the factory, and it's actually pretty tough to improve on. The things that work the best, in my opinion, are things that blend in to the existing lines, instead of just adding more. Glad to hear you're getting rid of the stick-on scoops on the nose.

So that's my opinion. Feel free to use or disregard anything I said, and no offense intended to anybody that disagrees. And at the end of the day, hey, it's your car. Do what makes you happy.
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
Doug Chase

Post by Doug Chase »

Aaron wrote:But his paintjob isn't well taken care of from what I can see.
Are you talking about the Honda? It looks great to me, but you detail cars. What do you see that I don't?
Doug Chase
Chase Race
Custom: cages, exhausts, fabrication
Duvall, WA
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

A turbocharged 350 to run 12s? You know a stock N* properly tuned will get you mid 12s stock right? www.chrfab.com With a few parts such as cams and springs you can probibly have 350whp and low 12s.

A turbo 350sbc sounds heavy, expensive and will chew fuel like a bitch. Not to mention you will be buying transmissions left and right.

DOHC motors develop all that hp withoug having to rely on 350+lb/ft of torque. Torque snaps axels and transmissions.

I agree with Doug, the wing balanced out the look of the car better. If you ditch the wing, you should ditch the cowel induction scoop, because its just silly on a mid engine car.
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

what vehicles used the DOHC that you are talking about?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Cadillac STS.

The Northstar is a 32 valve 4.6L all aluminum DOHC V-8, I'd take it over a turbo sbc any day. No adapter plate needed to bolt up to the fiero transmission.

Stock they are 300hp/300tq, which are nice numbers.

Check out my build thread.

phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=724
Oversteer

Post by Oversteer »

Sorry man, but if you wanted a riced up Civic you should have bought one. I think the car looks cheap, add ons on every corner. Useless vents and induction scoops in places they shouldn't be. The car does look better with the spoiler, but you can sugar coat shit all day and it will still be shit.

The lines of the Fiero are nice on their own, my idea of some nice mods would be a set of scoops from that Australian fiero store, dark tint, good paint, nice wheels and maybe a modest lowering.

There are lots of nice looking modified Fiero's out there, this just isn't one of them. You could have invested that money on a nice motor, a 3.4 TDC, 3.5 Short Star, or even a North Star V8.

But hey man, all the power to ya, you seem to think it looks good, and at the end of the day and thats all that matters.

Just opinions
He called the shit poop
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I agree about the balancing of the rear end, which is why I suggested a rear diffuser, to balance the body kit, although I never even thought of the "heavy" aspect Doug brought up.

The Honda looks good, I shouldn't have said it isn't well taken care of. I was just assuming it wasn't perfect, which it probably isn't, but could be. I really can't tell with that picture, generally can't with pictures at all. But it is a clean car, and there aren't obvious swirls, but I bet I could make it look better ;)

And yes, Northstars are hot. I want one. No, I want 2. But problem is, they are slightly more expensive, and a harder swap than the 3.4 I will be using.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Doug Chase wrote:The enormous cowl hood and the chin spoiler add visual weight to the front of the car. The side skirts do the same thing for the sides, and the wing did the same thing for the rear. Without the wing, the car looks a little nose heavy.
I tend to agree. However, I would propose a different solution.
Chris-Nelson wrote:I'm NOT getting rid of the cowl hood scoop and I'm NOT getting rid of the front chin-spoiler.
I think you should get rid of both. A properly profiled hood vent is MUCH BETTER at extracting air from behind the radiator than a cowl scoop.
Agreeing with Doug, I think that style of chin spoiler just adds too much "visual mass" to the front end. It's a mid engine car. It shouldn't have a huge front end like a front engine car.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Chris-Nelson wrote:I'm hoping to get into the 12's with a turbo'd 350 SBC.
You ought to be able to hit 12's pretty easily with a naturally aspirated 350. I did it with a factory stock Northstar.

If you build a turbo 350 and don't run 11's, I'll laugh. :thumbleft:
Chris-Nelson

Post by Chris-Nelson »

I hear what you guys are saying about the heavy front end look, but I kind of did that on purpose.

You see, I feel that the fastback body style, although it does look good, has a "heavy" ass-end to it already.

I might put some type of a rear diffuser on the rear bumper someday but for now I'm leaving the wing off, and no more body mods.

Everything will wait until it goes faster.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You might want to look at Skiitime's cowl hood, it was done extremely well IMHO, and is a tad lower than yours.

Like Doug said, it inverts the factory hood.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Good job. :thumbleft: