Steering column shafts

Fiero topics such as vendor reviews experiences, car shows, Fiero buys acquisitions, Fiero Photography.

Moderator: Series8217

slowpoke

Steering column shafts

Post by slowpoke »

Do any of you know if there were different steering column shafts used in some 88's. I took the front suspension out of the coupe a while back and yesterday while removeing the clutch pedal from my GT I noticed that the GT shaft looks to be much thicker than the one from the coupe. I know that the Formulas and GT had the rear sway bar, could the thicker shaft been for hard turning? I don't know, just thought I would ask.
I wasn't banned, I'd just rather be here.
jelly2m81

Re: Steering column shafts

Post by jelly2m81 »

There are 2 different steering shafts for 88. Both are interchangeable. One is for WS6 ( Formula and GT ) and one for without WS6.

The only real difference I see between them is how the lower section mates to the upper. I would guess the non- WS6 one has that encased rubber connector to soften road feedback.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Are you sure it's not just a mid-year change? The front suspension is the same on all 88s, including the rack ratios.. seems weird that they would put a different column shaft in for no reason.

If not, maybe it had something to do with the planned power steering system. The WS6 cars were supposed to get the EHPS rack; the coupes weren't.. hence the differences in alignment settings in some databases.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

Series, I'm not certain other than the P-22 lists a 88 W/WS6 and EXEC WS6 steering shaft.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Steering feel from thinner rubber in the telescoping portion?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Just replace all the rubber crap with no-give stuff from Borgeson. That'll improve the feel and response.
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

I never got to drive the coupe, but I hope to be driving the GT in about another month or so. I was just curious why they would have needed such a thicker shaft, what all did the WS6 package include?
I wasn't banned, I'd just rather be here.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

A rear swaybar.

I'm pretty sure the column shaft had something to do with the aborted EHPS. I'm not yet convinced that the factory cars used different shafts for any real reason, assuming your parts are both factory..