A bit of home "gunsmithing"

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Re: A bit of home "gunsmithing"

Post by Series8217 »

Here's my midlength build:

I assembled it all from parts... CMMG teflon-coated lower, various vendors for the LPK, bushmaster upper, CMMG barrel, JP/VTAC handguard, La Rue scope mount, ACE SOCOM stock (fixed), Magpul MOE trigger guard, Badger Ordnance tactical CH latch... the list goes on..

The funny looking paddle on the back of the pistol grip is to avoid the "pistol grip" definition by California law. Pistol grips are illegal here on centerfire rifles with detachable magazines. The way you hold this is like a pistol except that your thumb is on the same side of the grip as your other fingers. I have an ambi safety so the controls still work fine.

There's a light on it because it's my HD gun. The scope is 1-3x mag, so it's as fast as an Aimpoint when coupled with the flashlight or used during the day.
Indy

Post by Indy »

Looks pretty cool! Definitely 100x better than the other Kali-legal non-pistol grip guns. Looks like a Kydex paddle. I've had an idea for a while now of making a fitted lightweight Kydex carry case for my long gun. Basically just two formed clamshells with a 1/4" foam rubber lining in select areas, with the halves held together with 5-6 1000D webbing straps wrapped around the top and 2-3 buckles on the bottom. Seems like most gun carry cases I find fall well outside of a compromise between protection and bulk. Heating up a sheet ~40in long could be a problem though. Might have to get creative and find some heating elements and build a box. The cool factor would be right up there , though. I suppose I could really be baller and make a mold and do it in carbon.
Series8217
1988 Fiero Track Car

Post by Series8217 »

Yup, it's Kydex. Here is the guy who makes them: http://www.solartactical.com/
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Series8217 wrote:Pistol grips are illegal here on centerfire rifles with detachable magazines.
Lol... Gay... and as usual doesn't stop anyone from owning anything... just a pain in the ass.
Indy

Post by Indy »

What, you didn't see the study that proved that easily removable devices that prevent your thumb from wrapping around the stock stops all killing sprees?

Series, do you like your VTAC tube? Has it ever tried to rotate? They're reasonably priced and I was considering getting one.

Got a new Nikon D5000, so here's some new pictures.

View from the other side: