i need help with a 84 indy ignition coil wire hookup

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

84duke

i need help with a 84 indy ignition coil wire hookup

Post by 84duke »

hi, i need help with a 84 indy ignition coil wire hookup. Im not sure how the ignition coil wires are connected on my car theres 2 connectors in one harness a red wire with a white connector and a black wire with a white connector and the coil seems to have 4 male pins coming out of the top. Also i have 2 black wires coming out of the distributor do those wires hook into the coil? does it matter what wire goes where are they just ground wires? If anyone has a 84 2.5 duke indy style or early 84 please help with info. or pics. Also theres a orange wire with a pigtail connector right below the coil it looks like it started near the firewall and goes near the coil with a black connector but im not sure what plugs into the connector. Also theres a red wire that comes off the starter with a fusible link then it goes from there into the harness and around near the side of the drives side of the engine toward the back of the car does that other end connect to the alternator battery bolt? Ive looked at the wiring diagram in the haynes book but its for a newer 2.5 engine, please help thanks
Shaun41178(2)

Re: i need help with a 84 indy ignition coil wire hookup

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

the harness for the coil is keyed so that it will only plug into the coil one way. Yes it does matter which plug goes where, but like I said, they will only go in a certain way.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
84duke

Post by 84duke »

the thing is who ever had this car before cut the connector off so now i have 2 black wires coming out of the distibutor and a red wire with a white connector and a black wire with a white connector these 2 wires with the connectors are from the same haness. Im not sure the 2 black wires go on the coil. does anyone have close up pic? thanks
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

These are 84 specific diagrams to help you:

I don't have time to sit down and sort out your mess, but the wires running from the EST circled in red are the two wires at the top of the distributor going to the coil, and the wires circled in blue are the four wires running out of the base of the distributor. The only orange wire that I know of with a connector like that, is wired to the ecm power fusible link, running to the power distribution block - but I could be wrong. I also cracked both an '85 and '86 Factory Service manual, and each have different color wires specific to year. If you can't figure out how to put the original harness back together, I recommend you find another in tact 2.5 harness from a distributor equipped block, one that matches the colors in your Hanes manual.
Last edited by Emc209i on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
84duke

are these wires hook up correct for a 84 indy ignition coil

Post by 84duke »

are these wires hook up correct for a 84 indy ignition coil ? also what is the orange wire for? the two black wires that come off the distributor does it matter what pin they connect to? the two black wires off the distributor had the connectors cut so i added these connectors do u think this is safe? thanks
Attachments
DSCF0143.JPG
DSCF0143.JPG (214.89 KiB) Viewed 5230 times
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Learn how to read diagrams and you'll have your answer.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

why dont u just tell me if your so smart instead of being a jerk
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Because if I spoon feed you the information, you'll be back tomorrow with 100 more questions that need answers. No one else but Shaun and I have spoken up to help you, so consider that when you say I'm a "jerk" for supplying you with wiring diagrams. I spent thirty minutes finding you all the correct diagrams and cross referencing them to the later model harnesses. What I should be doing is billing you for thirty minutes of my time.

You have the directions above to do everything you need to do, including finding out what the orange wire goes too.
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

84duke wrote:why dont u just tell me if your so smart instead of being a jerk
Being a smartass is usually reserved for people who actually know what the hell's going on.

We get frustrated with shit like this, because 9 times out of 10 someone who doesn't have the initiative to fix the fucking car using their own brain cells usually fits this pattern:
-Gets a car for free (or damn near)
-Wastes hours of our time and goodwill getting us to fix their shit for them
-Then 2 months later decides to try and "sell" the car back to us for an inflated price, talking about how it's "rare" and "runs great".

BTW, look at your pics. One of those wires you call black, is really brown.

If you look at the diagram, note that the coil terminals of the primary (12V) side, are internally connected. In order to have spark, all you will need is for the brown wire coming out of the short pigtail at the distributor base to go to the "low" side of the coil, and have 12V coming into the "hi" side of the coil and feeding the module. The other wire on the low side is just tach, which the car will run happily without.

Those shitty crimp terminals are (as the name implies) not worth a shit. Either do a proper repair, or get a new harness.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

thanks now was that so hard? All this bs could have been avoided if you just answered my origianl ??? U know the orange wire on the diagram is for a couple of different things so im still not sure where that goes, if u think u might be able to tell me than please do but if u think that u should get paid to help another fiero member out, than maybe u should let people know your just here for the money.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

No offence, but you are a new member and as far as I can tell you only joined to get your car running. That's great and all, but give the guys some credit for giving you as much information as they did.
lucky

Post by lucky »

84duke wrote:thanks now was that so hard? All this bs could have been avoided if you just answered my origianl ??? U know the orange wire on the diagram is for a couple of different things so im still not sure where that goes, if u think u might be able to tell me than please do but if u think that u should get paid to help another fiero member out, than maybe u should let people know your just here for the money.
:ROFL:

The notion that a fiero owner is in it for the money.........
84duke

Post by 84duke »

Hey Lucky, EMC WROTE "What I should be doing is billing you for thirty minutes of my time."
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

84duke wrote:Hey Lucky, EMC WROTE "What I should be doing is billing you for thirty minutes of my time."
Thats not a bad price, some people / places use flat rate and would charge for a full hour.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

why dosnt that diagram show any wires coming off the distributor? and the 2 wires on my distributor are black not black and brown.
jelly2m81

Post by jelly2m81 »

84duke wrote:why dosnt that diagram show any wires coming off the distributor? and the 2 wires on my distributor are black not black and brown.

Ok, now we know what the problem is, your plain stupid and color blind.
lucky

Post by lucky »

If you read the wiring diagram labeled VIN R 2 You see the dizzy gets 4 wires, not 2. BLK/RED Tan/blk ppl/wht wht If these are not the color of your wires, clean them. If that doesn't help, your wiring is non-stock. Refer to what those wires are in the black (firewall) connector of said diagram, test with multi-meter to determine what needs to hook up where. 5 min of my time so like $5? Just kidding.
I know what EMC said, I just found it amusing to think that anyone was here for the money involved in being a fiero enthusiast.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

84duke wrote:why dosnt that diagram show any wires coming off the distributor? and the 2 wires on my distributor are black not black and brown.
I slept on this question. Being you're persistent in figuring this out on your own, and two I feel bad that you're as completely lost as you are, I'm going to try to help you understand this one time.

There are SIX wires coming from the distributor:
Four that connect to the powertrain computer - can be seen in the four wire pigtail in the center of the photo you posted (right above "BLACK WIRE HOOKED TO BOTOM").
Two that run to the top and bottom pins of your coil - the pink and black wires attached to the left top and bottom coil pins in your picture.

I'll say it again, there are six wires you should be able to locate. DO NOT READ PAST THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE IDENTIFIED AND CAN POINT TO ALL SIX.

Then.....

The coil then has two output wires, which are the two wires added in your pictures - the two wires with the crimp connectors. The wire with the pink collar on the crimp connector should be wired to the C500 pin E3, it's your 12v power feed to the coil. The wire with the blue collar on the crimp connector should be wired to the tach filter, which is somewhere on the engine side of the C500 pin C3, it's responsible for tachometer signal.

The orange wire connects to a quick disconnect plug, on the end of a red wire, somewhere on the firewall. It's likely on the left portion of the firewall being 84 cars had the C500 and power distribution block on the left side rather than the right.

I've gathered that you're a visual learner, so if none of this makes sense to you, you should have someone else fix this for you. Hopefully you took the time to process what I labeled in bold.
84duke

Post by 84duke »

ok now the 2 red wires are labeled fusible link A and B that come off the starter that go back into the harness does one of those red wires connect to the alternator battery bolt? This is a early 84 keep in mind. You see alot of my wiring was cut so im trying to piece it back together and i dont want to burn things up that why im asking for your help.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

This computer doesn't have CS4 on it. I just have MS paint 2004, so here's the full sized image.

Link "A" connects to the red sense wire from the two prong plug on the back of alternator - if it hasn't been cut, there's no way for it to become disconnected from the alternator harness. The wire that slips over the alt. lug connects directly to the battery. Remember that the orange wire you were questioning connects to the other end of Fusible link "F".