Another Ford WTF.

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

befarrer

Re: Another Ford WTF.

Post by befarrer »

My girlfriends mom has a 97 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC, try changing the fron o2 sensors. The sensors are easy to get to, but the connector is impossible. they put it above the bellhousing behind the engine. my dad was the one working on it, he could get 1 finger on the plug but was not able to unplug it, he tried from all angles, thee is like a 1'' gap around it, and the plug is like 10'' in that gap. We ended up just cutting the wires and splicing in the new (to us, from a wrecker) O2 in.
Indy

Post by Indy »

I just don't get the 4.0 SOHC. They have the front timing chain driving the cam for one bank AND driving a jackshaft to the rear of the engine which runs the timing chain ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE ENGINE for the cam on the other bank. Then they put a thin stamped sheetmetal tensioner in there that loses tension yet is nearly impossible to service in the car. What was gained there? Am I missing something?
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

Indy wrote:I just don't get the 4.0 SOHC. They have the front timing chain driving the cam for one bank AND driving a jackshaft to the rear of the engine which runs the timing chain ON THE BACK SIDE OF THE ENGINE for the cam on the other bank. Then they put a thin stamped sheetmetal tensioner in there that loses tension yet is nearly impossible to service in the car. What was gained there? Am I missing something?
Just one head casting that way.

Sadly, nobody really gives a shit about the problems as long as it doesn't cost big warranty $$$
KurtAKX

Post by KurtAKX »

Atilla the Fun wrote:
KurtAKX wrote:
Atilla the Fun wrote: The 5R55S is used in the '05-up Mustang GT, and has proven to be surprisingly strong. In fact with proper reprogramming, the 5R55S is perfectly capable of surviving superchargers and slicks.
False.
NOT false. I hang out at the dragstrip, I talk to my fellow Mustang owners, whatever I'm driving on any given day. I know what a stock 5R55S with a good programming will do, I've seen it for myself.
With a modest blower kit and slicks, guys are getting into the high 12s, uncorrected, at the drag strip in Magna.
Your refusal to believe doesn't change the facts. Better to join the real world.
The fact is they can't take the torque of a supercharged 3V 4.6.

Your hanging out and seeing the 5R55 survive one or ten times is not a comprehensive indicator of strength.
If you hang out at the drag strip long enough, you'll eventually see a guy run low 9s on a 7.625" 10 bolt without so much as a girdle, but does that mean its "capable of running low 9s?" No.
If you hang out long enough, you might see a guy run huge pills and have his motor survive the pass. Does that mean a stock TBI 4.3 S10 motor is "capable of easily running a 250 shot?" No.

I can't talk about it, but I will suggest comparing the actual measured RWHP between auto and std. trans "tuner" S197s such as those produced by Saleen or Roush, (the guys who actually have to maintain a warranty) and analyze the current GT500 lineup for an automatic offering (there's a real reason there isn't one).

I'm in the real world. Again, comparision. That's all I'm gonna say, and its a huge hint.
Blue Shift

Post by Blue Shift »

HO-LY Shit... Are you serious about the 4.0? I don't feel so bad about the 3.4 DOHC (which at least is powerful enough to sorta make up for it).

The stuff that the big F comes up with will never stop amusing me.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

It's not just one guy with one Mustang at one dragstrip. It's on all the forums, and in all the Magazines. Just because a few dumbasses misuse their trucks, doesn't make the 5R55S a poor design. It is a huge improvement over the 4R70W. If I needed an automatic, I'd probably start by calling TCI for one of their stage 1 versions. They also offer a stage 2.
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

Other things to consider is the transmission might be strong, but stuff like efficiency. In a Mustang, it is moving a light car, on an Explorer and other trucks, it is hauling around 2X the weight, in stop and go driving, maybe the transmission gets hot and fails from hauling the weight?
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

befarrer wrote:Other things to consider is the transmission might be strong, but stuff like efficiency. In a Mustang, it is moving a light car, on an Explorer and other trucks, it is hauling around 2X the weight, in stop and go driving, maybe the transmission gets hot and fails from hauling the weight?
So Ford doesn't do any durability testing before putting it into production? That really wouldn't surprise me. :-)