Other GM engines

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Atilla the Fun

Re: Other GM engines

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Not really... GDI engines need the piston shape because they can function in either stratified charge or homogeneous charge mode. Mixture motion is very important.

http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Direct-P ... ticle.html

Also, the only reason that a dual injection intake tract would be required is to have enough fuel for extremely high boost. If you're running extremely high boost, you won't be running 11+ compression.
I just read in the latest issue of Motor Trend that GM is considering a 415 hp turbocharged 3.6 Direct Injected, more so now that Ford is showing a Mustang GT fitted with their Ecoboost V6 from the new Taurus SHO.
Let's hope they do, then we'd have pistons!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Atilla the Fun

Re: Other GM engines

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Blue Shift wrote:My next Atilla-esque engine swap project is going to be a 2.3L Q4 HO/282 drivetrain I have sitting around. Compared to my DOHC car, I kinda wanted to build something smaller, lighter, and more nimble. 2 more MPG and double the crank HP of the duke are welcome outcomes as well. I know they're not the shit anyore, and an Ecotec would be awesome, but the extra complexity, cost, and CA BAR recert requirements don't interest me. Plus, with the stock "2M4" decal on the decklid, and an obvious 4 cylinder exhaust note, it'd be really humiliating to be beaten by!

On the side, I'll probably build up a long block out of a later year block (possibly even a 2.4 block), with custom pistons, Eagle 4340 H beams, and maaaayyybe a forged crank if I can find one. Bryson did 400 HP on what looked like modded stock rods with ARP bolts that later appeared to be defective. 300 HP would be fine, 400 would be as far as I would logically want to go. It might also be a good candidate for that Holset HE351VE... I could easily run it at higher pressure than I could have boosted the DOHC to, and be deeper into the max efficiency island of the compressor.

Anyways, but yeah.
Just last week I saw my q4 info in my files. I'll see if there's anything that isn't obsolete.