To build the ultimate 3.4 DOHC: Turbo DYNO NUMBERS

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Blue Shift

Re: To build the ultimate 3.4 DOHC: Turbo DYNO NUMBERS

Post by Blue Shift »

Atilla the Fun wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:Bikes pull a huge advantage on most cars below 40. At highway speeds and above, bikes are rapidly being overtaken by aero drag, which doesn't affect cars as much until higher speeds.
Unless that car is a 2.5L Fiero with only 92 horses :-)
Hey, hey, hey now... Though it may be true that I lost to a GMC W4500 box delivery truck getting on the freeway, I did manage to beat a Mercedes 300D... RACE CAR STATUUUS, bitches!
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

The gearing advantage that bikes have is unbelievable. I would know, I have a 2003 GSX-R 600. At higher speeds its possible it might have been closer. Like I said earlier that bike will run a 10.4 at mid 120's. I'm just happy I was side by side with him for a while. I really need to get that new tranny in (with better gearing) and give it another go.
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

So I got two decent races in this past weekend.

One of the cars was a LS1 Camero, seemed pretty stock and was an automatic. He raced me off the line 2 times and from a roll once. Everytime I'd pull more than like a car and a half on him he would shut it down. Off the line was usually pretty close, if anything he would pull ahead a half car or so before I would get traction. By the time I was halfway thru second I'd pull about a car on him and then he'd shut it down. When we raced from a roll he didnt stay in it long enough after I pulled on him to get a good gauge again.

The other car was a 6 liter GTO 6 speed that ran 12.7's in the 1/4. Him and I only raced on a roll, but twice. The first one I pulled about a car or so on him through second gear before I had to shut it down. The second one I was more in my powerband when we took off and spin halfway through second (it was a cold day and my tires really need to be replaced). I kept next to him the entire time I was spinning and then started pulling away nicely in third before I had to shut it down again due to traffic. I really wanted to keep going to see exactly what my car would do to a 12.7 car, but I just didnt have the room.

I have 2 videos of of the Camero races (one off the line which was my worse launch, and then the one on a roll). I have some GTO videos too, but I dont know if I will be able to post them up cuz their on my buddys phone (like the the crotch rocket races).
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

cool deal. Phone vids don't usually turn out all that well as the quality usually sucks. But post them up if you like. From a roll with that GTO knowing his trap speed would be better then the ET. I would guess in the 110 range though
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:cool deal. Phone vids don't usually turn out all that well as the quality usually sucks. But post them up if you like. From a roll with that GTO knowing his trap speed would be better then the ET. I would guess in the 110 range though
a 12.7 GTO LS2 / T56 should trap 111 or so.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

The way I was pulling on him, I would say I'm in the high 11X's to even low 12X's. We'll find out when I go to the track soon!
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Nice!! Need vid! :)

(Says the guy who isn't posting any videos, lol)
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

I'm working on it... probably tomorrow or friday I'll get them up.
coinage

Post by coinage »

How much more do you think the clutch can take? Debating between the Clutchnet 6 puck and the Spec stage 5... Streetablity is not a concern here.
86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Haha, I have NO idea how much it can take. It's a gamble, I'd call clutchnet and ask them what they think?
coinage

Post by coinage »

They said 350ft/lbs... I hate Spec, but i want something that will hold until I sell the car or redesign the turbo setup around a new tranny. Spec claimed like 600ft/lbs, now I dont buy that for a second, maybe mid/upper 400's.

Im not looking to make retarded amounts of power, running 8lbs of boost right now,may up it to maybe to 10-12psi. Undecided if Ill sell the quartermaster or not, I may just hang on to it until I decide what Im doing with the car.
86GT 4sp
94 LQ1, 60-1 Garrett BB Turbo-A/W IC-ARP main studs,head studs,rod bolts-QM twin disk clutch/button flywheel-Ported heads/intakes-50lb/hr injectors-Fully balanced-88 cradle swap-Held adjustable solid rear links-12" brakes-Chase Cage-
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I bought the spec 5 but havent' fired it up so I can't comment on how it drives or how much it holds.

The WCF kevlar/kevlar that I had started slipping around 450 lb ft at the wheels. Some days it would slip and other times it wouldnt. its not a bad clutch, and it can hold some decent tq and has a larger diameter to boot. This was on a 3.4 pushrod on 12 lbs and a 100 shot of nitrous. Off the nitrous it was fine, but it would slip a bit then grab when spraying it. Off the kit I made 360 whtq, and on it I made 464 but at around 4300 rpm or so when the clutch finally grabbed. It would prob be over 500 at a lower rpm.

I have both the pressure plate and clutch if you want although used. Or I can sell you the PP and you can just get a new clutch from them. I was happy with it. That is if you havne't bought a new clutch yet.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Tilton
coinage

Post by coinage »

I think I may just go Spec stage 5.

As for the Tilton, I already have the QuarterMaster. Basically the same thing, I just think the V6 4 speed tranny blows and I dont feel like redesigning everything to run a different tranny.
86GT 4sp
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

coinage wrote:I think I may just go Spec stage 5.

As for the Tilton, I already have the QuarterMaster. Basically the same thing, I just think the V6 4 speed tranny blows and I dont feel like redesigning everything to run a different tranny.
The clutch itself will transfer to the 282. The only thing you'd have to figure out would be the throw out bearing holder.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Well as for clutches, I know that I'm over what clutchnet is specifying for max torque right now. I was close to it on 5-6 lbs.

In other news, yesterday I changed to different timing tables. I upped the amount of timing from like 5000 rpms to 7000 rpms. At my max boost at 7000 rpms I added 3 degrees of timing. The car seems happier with that and seems like it might take more. With my race gas/premium blend that I ran for the past few weeks in the top end it would stutter which made me believe it needs more timing. I'm going to go back to just running premium an see how it likes the new timing. So far so good, and almost all the race gas is out of it.

I'm getting the car dynoed again June 5th or 6th at the same dyno that I had the 5 psi pulls done on. I'll be real curious to see what the difference is. Also, I verified that I'm only on 12 psi right now. I might work towards turning up the boost before I go to the dyno. I would like to be running 15 psi.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

how many degrees of timing at 7k are you running?

Where is yoru peak tq again? How much timing you runnign there?

fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Peak torque is at about 4500 rpm. I am running 16 degrees of timing at 12 psi there. At 7000 rpm I'm running 19 degrees. I can't wait to get this thing on a dyno.

I also just put on the new tires, longer wheel studs and 5 mm wheel spacers today in the rear. They look bitchin, but I can't attest to their performance yet because I found out that the passenger side rear wheel bearing is fucked up. I drove it around the block to make sure the tires dont rub but I'm going to be waiting until I get a new wheel bearing in it to make sure they grip well. I ordered that today, so hopefully it comes saturday.
Matt Hawkins

Post by Matt Hawkins »

With my stock pressure plate and 6-puck Clutchnet, I have never had a problem with slipping. They gave me a low estimate for power holding too. I am happy with it. If I needed more holding power, I would get an upgraded pressure plate from them with the same disc.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Yesterday I got some more work done on the car. I finally added another engine mount to the car, where the A/C compressor would be. The bracket bolts to the block on two bolt holes and then goes down to a energy suspension mount (the same one Rodney Dickman uses for the poly tranny mounts) and that is bolted to the cradle where we reinforced it to make a flat surface where the stock exhaust would have passed through. All I have to say is WOW. The engine mount and brackets turned out nice, took me 5 hours to fabricated and weld up, but it was worth it. The engine just seems so much more responsive now. With that other mount added I launched the car pretty hard and with it being warmer out and the new tires on, I didnt have any traction issues. I was nicely surprised by the results. Pictures are coming soon.

Also, I raced my buddy Trans Am that has 450 WHP this past weekend. On the freeway I was in third and he was in third (3 speed automatic, apparently he could have been in second) and I pulled on him for a while and maintained the lead even after going into 4th. Then we did a 30ish mph roll, him in first and I was in second. That was pretty far out of my powerband so right off the bat I lost a car on him before I got to the powerband, and then from there I was about the same distance behind him for the rest of the race. That one is on video. I have quite a few videos to post... lol

Him and I both think that are cars are fairly equal, it just depends on the circumstances of the race as to who will win. Him and I are going to have to go at it off the line next and see what happens there. I'm really getting the itch to turn up the boost. 12 psi is for pansys. lol