Ford's new V8s

A place for fun discussion of common interests we have besides Fieros

Moderator: ericjon262

Atilla the Fun

Ford's new V8s

Post by Atilla the Fun »

In a break from long tradition, Ford is finally beginning to under-rate their engines. There are vids on StreetFire, and this is the extent of my evidence. But assuming they're not tampered with, then both the 5.0L and 6.2L are a bit above their ratings. I just lost my post-it note for the 5.0L, but the 6.2 is rated at 411 HP and 434 ft-lbs. K&N's chassis dyno says 340 RWHP, and 340 / 0.78 = 436 hp. It peaked at 5700 rpm. RWTQ peaked at 360 at 4500 rpm. That corrects to 462 ft-lbs at the engine. Time for GM and Dodge to step up. Maybe now GM will let me order a 2WD, short cab, short bed half ton with the L92.
As for the Mustang's 5.0L, Ford is claiming 412 HP and 390 ft-lbs but the most pessimistic chassis dyno results are what Motor Trend figured base on K&N's chassis dyno. No telling what correction factor they used, but they say 435 HP at 6600 rpm, and 404 ft-lbs at rpm not told. And again, that's the most conservative set of results. I found others. It's been established in the Mustang community, so M/T won't know it, but the correct correction with a T56 / TR6060, and a Ford 8.8" axle, with synthetic lubes in both, is in fact RWHP / 0.87. Or RWTQ / 0.87. It works out the same.
I'm eager to see the first 6.2 Mustang, whether done by Ford or by an enthusiast. I mostly want to see them get a 6.2 Mustang through Cali's emissions laws.
I used the 0.78 factor for the F150 because that's the best number available that's ever been irrefutably proven. It was for a stock line pressure 700R-4 with a synthetic-lubed GM 7.5" axle. They also engine and dyno tested a Dakota R/T 5.9L, and there they found a 0.74 factor, because the Dodge trans and axle both suck donkey dung. They did a Mustang 5.0 / AOD / 8.8, with synthetic in the axle, and found a 0.77 factor, with stock line pressure in the AOD. They also tested automatics. They used SuperFlow dynos for both engine and chassis, both re-cal by a SF rep. the day of the first test. This was about 15 years ago, so I forget some of the less-important details.
Anyway, never before in the emissions age had Ford ever managed to get any N/A gas V8 to make more than 30 ft-lbs over the C.I., and now they're approaching 100 ft-lbs over. This is huge for them. But as always, they're still a decade behind GM.
Atilla the Fun

Re: Ford's new V8s

Post by Atilla the Fun »

It finally hit me, and yes I feel stupid for not catching it way sooner, but the 5.0L version is DOHC 32 valve, aluminum block, while the 6.2L is SOHC 16 valve, iron block. That raises 3 questions: (1) when can we get an aluminum 6.2L block? (2) Will the 5.0 heads work with the current 6.2L short block assembly? (3) Will the 6.2L crank go into the 5.0L block? Inquiring minds need to know how serious to build their LS3s to keep Ford in their proper place.
Atilla the Fun

Re: Ford's new V8s

Post by Atilla the Fun »

Initial testing with prototype headers reveals that the 5.0L will respond with another 25 horses!