Moderator: ericjon262

CincinnatiFiero

Re: Audi fail

Post by CincinnatiFiero »

^ What he said.
Atilla the Fun

Post by Atilla the Fun »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:I'd rather have a computer controlled auto than a hydraulically controlled auto. With an aftermarket controller, you can tune the electronic one to do anything you want.
If it's based on an OE PCM, then there un-defeatable overrides built in. You have to go pure-aftermarket if you want a truly full-manual, or upshifts above 7000 rpm, et cetera. The 4L60E cannot be made to do the 1-2 at 7001+ rpm with any GM PCM. It will not do it.
But it's become easy to get an LS3 to pull to 7200, and 7500 isn't unheard of. The new hemi 5.7L will do 7200 carbureted with just a cam and headers. Keisler offers a 4L60E for that.
CincinnatiFiero

I wouldn't want to shift a automatic manually, I'd buy a manual as long as I have a functional left foot. I'd have an auto for drag race consistency so I like the much more precise tuning I can do with an electronically controlled trans. If I shifted it manually I'd lose that consistency.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Atilla the Fun wrote:
The Dark Side of Will wrote:I'd rather have a computer controlled auto than a hydraulically controlled auto. With an aftermarket controller, you can tune the electronic one to do anything you want.
If it's based on an OE PCM, then there un-defeatable overrides built in. You have to go pure-aftermarket if you want a truly full-manual, or upshifts above 7000 rpm, et cetera. The 4L60E cannot be made to do the 1-2 at 7001+ rpm with any GM PCM. It will not do it.
But it's become easy to get an LS3 to pull to 7200, and 7500 isn't unheard of. The new hemi 5.7L will do 7200 carbureted with just a cam and headers. Keisler offers a 4L60E for that.
Yeah, but what fraction of potential applications are actually doing that? If you want to play, you have to pay. The increased capabilities of an electronic transmission will cost you either a tuning suite or an aftermarket controller. If you really have to have your manual valve body, then you'll accept the limitations that imposes.

Being able to tune the shift points is huge for my dad's 500 Caddy/4L80E Suburban and TPI 400/4L60E Jaguar. A 7000 RPM shift limit couldn't be less relevant to those applications, but I'd *never* give up the electronic transmissions for them.

GM also programs the computers to unlock the TCC on overrun. I believe this is a gas mileage ploy, as the car then coasts further when you lift off the gas. However, you can turn this off (so that the TCC stays engaged on overrun) and gain significant responsiveness. The car drives like a stick on the highway.
CincinnatiFiero

Thats kind of a cool feature, I wonder if the 4T65-E supports that.