Drag Racing. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Drag Racing. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

Post by AkursedX »

I went out to the dragstrip today since it was a damn near perfect day for it. I haven't made any significant changes to my setup from last year and wasn't expecting much.

So I get to the track and do my usual prep: lower tire pressure, make sure nothings leaking, pop my headlights, and turn the boost up just a touch.

I head out to the staging lanes and get a decent burnout. My launch felt pretty good and I think I launched off of 2psi. The run went good, my AFR's were ok and I was running around 16psi. I thought it was an 11.8 pass.

I get back and park the car and go to pick up my slip. I head over to the booth and they were like "You need to slow down. You ran too fast and have one last chance to run" I was like WTF?? I didn't think for a second that I ran that fast and then I see the slip:

HOLY SHIT!! I think it's awesome that they actually wrote "slow down" on the slip!

I didn't make anymore passes and just spent the day bs'ing with all sorts of people. I got all sorts of compliments on my car, even from the old-timers. I don't think I ever spent so much time talking about my car with other people.
'88 Fiero GT- 3800 Turbo Best E.T. 11.36 Best MPH 121.50 (Sold and gone)
2021 Hyundai Veloster-N (SCCA Solo D-Street)
2004 Mazda RX-8 (SCCA Solo STX)
WNY SCCA-Region Auto-X Program Chair
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Drag Racing. Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Nice work man. Def moving good. Ryan must have done something right. :good:
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

It's amazing what a good 60ft can do. I improved .1 in my 60ft over my best 60ft from last year. You can see how a good launch translates to a good E.T. Looking over my scan, it looks like I launched at 1psi and 3000rpms.

I just noticed that the timeslip has the wrong date and time. Heh, so who's going to call BS on me?? Not that I would even care. I know what I ran.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Yeah, having "slow down" written on your timeslip is hilarious. Did they not want you running over 120, or better than 11.5? Was it because of safety equipment?
AkursedX
Turbo-boostin!

Post by AkursedX »

The Dark Side of Will wrote:Yeah, having "slow down" written on your timeslip is hilarious. Did they not want you running over 120, or better than 11.5? Was it because of safety equipment?
It was the faster than 11.5 part due to the fact that I have no cage.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Ryan must have done something right.
I can't do anything right, haven't you heard? It's on the list with I "don't change much", I "charge too much", and I "have no practical application of knowledge" among some other things. LOL

Nice run, Joe. Just goes to show it isn't all about cams and cubes but instead it's about flow, even at only 16psi. I take it you got the brake issue addressed so you can hold boost on the line now?

10's aren't so far away now, are they...???...!!! :-D

Don't forget to update your sig.

-ryan
Last edited by Sinister Fiero on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED
Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions | www.gmtuners.com
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Slow down

:oops:
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Nice run man! Get that thing on the dyno!
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

I had the same experience at lapeer this year as well... Trap speed was way high.. I trapped 101.5 in the 1/8th with a 7.29 et... On 14psi and a good solid launch that usually comes out as a 1.7-1.75 (but read 1.97 60ft, wtf?).

The 1/4 was sorta screwed up so I ran a 11.6 at 0.84 mph... Same setup that I usually was happy when I ran any 11....

lapeer = wtf!
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.