current M/T record?

Dragstrip, autocross, and all track posts go here.

Moderator: Series8217

darkhorizon

current M/T record?

Post by darkhorizon »

the e-t is not really a big deal, as the clutch was slipping so unbelievably bad, that it wasnt even funny.

I do believe that this video shows a 130 trap, if we ever find a clutch worth a shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEC5OaCHOp8
My fiero is cheaper than yours. The end.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Re: current M/T record?

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Tilton.

Can't access video here. What transmission?
darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

the transmission is a painted 282....

As far as I can tell, its stock. It came out of a L67 swap car that we "found" in a tech school.... spec stg5 clutch that didnt even pretend to work... stg3 blew it out of the water.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

I am confused. what clutch is in it now? The 5 or the 3?

Based on the trap speed you have to be in the 500 whp range. You gotta consider no single disk will hold that. Especially at that puny diameter

I know wcf talked about making a twin disk and it wouldn't be hard. you would have to notch the tranny mounts most likely around 1/8th inch but it could work. I have more details about it if you want.

Also there is a guy with a turbo quad 4 who is using hte later model getrag with a deeper bellhousing who had a twindisk made by a company but I forget who off hand.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Saw this vid the other day linked from the 1/4 mi list thread. Impressive time for sure!

The manual car is so much more fun to drive from day to day, its a shame how much faster the auto cars are though.. :(
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

you mean quicker? :) the auto cars aren't even coming close to trapping that, but the E'ts for an auto at 127 mph would def be low 11's high 10's. That trap speed though on the highway just like yours jinx would have no problem running away from an auto 3800.

Just watched the supercharged G8 vid and yea its the stage 5 thats slipping. Doesn't give me much hope for my stage 5 that I have purchased. Hopefully I won't make as much tq with my lower displacement allowing mine to hold.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Shaun41178(2) wrote:I know wcf talked about making a twin disk and it wouldn't be hard. you would have to notch the tranny mounts most likely around 1/8th inch but it could work. I have more details about it if you want.

Also there is a guy with a turbo quad 4 who is using hte later model getrag with a deeper bellhousing who had a twindisk made by a company but I forget who off hand.
I'd appreciate more details on that, if you have them. Can't figure out why you'd need to notch trans mounts for a dual disk clutch.

The bellhousing on the HTOB 282 isn't any deeper than the Fiero 282. Unless you're talking about the F23 transmission used with the 2.2 OHV, like Jinx is using in his car... Not sure how the bellhousing depths are, but I'd be surprised if that one had a deeper bellhousing than the 282.
Jinxmutt

Post by Jinxmutt »

Shaun, you're right, I did mean quicker, my bad. :)

I can get some measurements from a 287 this week if you guys are interested.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

I still don't get why that would require notching mounts. I hope you're not talking about notching the output shaft bearing boss inside the case. That would be extremely bad.

They could take SOOOOO much weight out of that flywheel. What's the point of going to a low inertia dual disk if you leave all that mass at the edge of the flywheel?

I think I could put out a Tilton kit for the 282 for just over $1000 including clutch.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

as far as I know the link I posted you don't have to modify anything. It was the WCF setup that would require some work. From what Chris West told me, the Mcleod parts he uses are designed around mustangs. Which is why their clutches are the larger diameter. Now there is nothing off the shelf for a fiero, so he said he would have to get something in regards to a mustang. He did all the math, and the setup was too thick by about 1/8th of an inch to fit in the bellhousing.

he recommended some sort of 1/8th spacer between the block and the tranny so everything would fit. Now based on this if it is indeed true, I would imagine the tranny would then have to move which would mean slotted tranny mounts. I don't know how this would play into the cv joints and axles lengths and all that, and I was seriously considering going this route since I already had most of the WCF parts to do this, but I didn't want to be the guinea pig

I would recommend calling or emailing Chris to get up to date details as I spoke to him about this months ago, and might be wrong on a few things or things have changed.

As far as the dual setup in the link above, I asked if it weighed more then stock, and he said yes. Obviously with that ginormous flywheel. How much more not sure. Obviously its a one off, and compromises were made instead of taking the manpower to design a whole new setup for only one sale.

darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

With 3800's there is at least a 1/8 inch left in the flywheel that you could take off to give more room in the clutch area.

It seems like this disk holds way better, they just sent us a very wussy pressure plate.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

aren't all their pressure plates the same?

darkhorizon

Post by darkhorizon »

I guess there are 3 "fiero" pressure plates.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

saw that this clutch seems to be holding on Justins car based on his latest post. I say he should give it another 400 miles or so taking it somewhat easy to see if it will hold when going all out.

Is this car ever going to hit a dyno so we can see some TQ numbers of what this clutch can hold?

This could be good news for me since I have this same clutch, but I am going to pull it out again to make sure I have the correct pressure plate as I bought mine shortly before justin did.