Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Re: crzyone's R32 GTR updates, parts and pics

Post by crzyone »

Ok, another small update.

20lbs of dry ice and 3-4 hours of tedious work later-

After all that was one there was still a lot of cleanup to do. I used some bug and tar remover and did a little cleanup.

Still far from done but getting there.

Interior starting to look more like a race car.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

This may officially be the slowest section on the forum! But, it's spring time now, time to start wrenching on the GTR again.

I ordered a new set of brakes for the car. I went with a big brake kit for the front which allows me to run 13" R33 V-spec rotors and my standard 4 piston calipers. The R33 brembo calipers are less than 5% larger than the stock R32s, only thing the R32 is lacking in is overal diameter.

So, this is what my new front brakes look like, 2 piece rotors and caliper adapters. They look very large in person. My car is down to about 3000lbs so they should do the job nicely.

And for good measure I also bought a new set of rear rotors to replace my cross drilled ones. Don't want to crack a rotor on track.

I have both sets of new brakes at my house, and have the fronts almost installed. I will take some before and after pictures for comparison.

Friday the car is being dropped off at a racing shop to have an 8 point roll cage installed. It will be a custom weld in and will comply with all racing regs. The cage will cost in the area of $3000 but will be well worth it in terms of safety and chasis stiffness.

I will update as soon as I have something to post. Trying to slowly turn my car into a track monster! :twisted:
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

out of winter hibernation she comes!! sweet. can't wait to read about this summers happenings.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting back out on to the race track

Installed my front brake kit over the last 2 days. The adapter didn't quite fit properly so I had to do some minor grinding to get the clearance I needed.

Anyways, here is the finished result.

I think these brakes will be enough not to fade on track. I plan on upgrading the pads as soon as I can too. I don't think the carbon ceramic pads that came with the brakes are anything special.

Ran out of time to install the new rears, on night shifts this week. I will have to do them when the car gets back from it's cage build.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

My car is at the cage builders, he is updating his blog with progress on my car. Kinda neat to follow along.

http://somuchwinracing.blogspot.com/

Getting excited for race season!
befarrer

Post by befarrer »

I think you should paint your calipers or clean them up somehow to match the shiny new brake rotors. Looks good, when are you going to start racing it? Any auto cross events planned? I needs to have me a ride in this beast, if it has a passenger seat.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Hey Ben, long time

I didn't autocross at all last year. I did 4 or 5 lapping days at Stratotech, which is 100x more fun. instead of a whole day for 10 minutes of racing, you go for an evening of a few hours of racing, it's the most fun I've ever had. I raced my GTO last year, this year will be the GTR.

This car will absolutly suck for autocross, too much turbo lag. I don't reach full boost until 5000rpm, and then it's like hitting a 400 shot of nitrous. It literally goes from 200hp to 500-600 in half a second. Not bad for lapping where you can keep it in the upper rpms but slow 2nd gear corners at an autocross track would kill it. Maybe i can race my girlfriends civic lol.

You should come out for a lapping day ben, throw on some lebaron brakes if you have not upgraded all ready and you should be fine. I doubt you will want to autocross again if you come out. :good:
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

The latest updates on my cage install, just about done
http://somuchwinracing.blogspot.com/

I bought a new carbon fiber wing for the GTR. It's 67" wide which means it's DAMN wide. A full 10" wider than the wing on my old GTR which is perfect for my new widebody. I like the narrow wing stand design, should look good on the car.

I also bought a Greddy intercooler which is lighter and more eficcient than my current intercooler which I bought off e-bay. This particular modle has been proven on race tracks up to 800hp.

Sorry for the shitty cell phone pics, until I have the car back it doesn't seem worth getting out the decent camera. I should have the car back next weekend and will update in a week or 2.
pontiackid86

Post by pontiackid86 »

I wish I could afford a Skyline, all I have is a shitty rusted black jeep that my grandma bought for me. Please kill me.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

More updates on the cage build. It should be done this weekend but I work, and then I'm going on a cruise leaving from New York so I won't be able to pick up the car until the 18th of June... so I won't have any more real updates until then.

Dash Bar done

Guess I won't be needing my rear strut tower brace anymore... lol

I could not imagine fabricating this... insane.

crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Bought some new parts for my car as well.

Aluminum subframe bushings, get rid of all the rubber squishy stuff.

Large front and rear diff covers. Allow more fluid capacity, better cooling and the option to run diff coolers if I wish. I will have to get out a pyrometer and see what temps I'm running before I go that far.

I also bought modified Twin Turbo pipe. Basically, cut it open and weld in a divider plate

It has been proven to reduce turbo shuffle, allow faster spool time and has been dyno proven on a stock engine to gain around 10hp. Not bad for such a tiny mod. I even have some videos of the difference in flow.

Before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8GUhVdk ... r_embedded

After
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRX2NhlX ... r_embedded

Pretty significant difference. Anyways, a cheap mod for some real gains, I'm all over that.

I can't wait for winter to put the LS1 in my FD. That will be another fun project
Fastback86

Post by Fastback86 »

pontiackid86 wrote:RICER :Bravo:
Yeah, nothing says "rice" like a custom full cage in a stripped-out race car. How fucking lazy are you? Cryzone obviously isn't a ricer, whether you like his body kit or not. Fuck man, at least TRY to be clever. This shit is just pathetic.
<Insert Sig Here>
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

crzyone wrote: Aluminum subframe bushings, get rid of all the rubber squishy stuff.
Someone needs to make these for rear control arms of 84-87 Fiero's.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

Aluminum is a lousy bushing material for moving parts.

I have XL UHMW rear control arm bushings on The Mule and they work just fine. Aluminum bushings are good for the cradle, though.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote:Large front and rear diff covers. Allow more fluid capacity, better cooling and the option to run diff coolers if I wish. I will have to get out a pyrometer and see what temps I'm running before I go that far.
You could plug a temp sensor into one of the cooler ports in each. Wire them up to your engine oil temp gauge and switch among the three.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That's actually a really good idea. I'm going to look into that.

The subframe bushings are for the subframe, not suspension. It gets rid of the rubber mounts. Just like fiero cradle bushings.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

crzyone wrote: I can't wait for winter to put the LS1 in my FD. That will be another fun project
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d78/c ... 22ec_o.jpg
Are you going LS1? LS7? Aftermarket 7 litre? Big bore 5.7? Something else?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Probably get an LS1 just because I want to buy the motor and transmission as a package deal. A dropout from a Camaro or Firebird would be perfect. I will mod the LS1, but I don't plan on much. Longtubes, mild cam, fast intake and a tune is probably it. 350-400whp would be more than enough and still get good economy.

I want the 7 to drive to a track, have fun and drive home, unlike the GTR which will likely be trailered. The 7 will likely be a fun daily driver with a full interior. 2800lbs and a bulletproof drivetrain, something the fiero could never offer.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

The FD's are absolutely world class sports cars. That takes half the fun out of building them up, though as 3/4 of the work's already done. :-o

Hehe... I'm sure Atilla would love to elaborate, but the state of the Gen III/IV art is such that you could have 600 WHP and daily drivability.

With a light weight chassis like a FD3S, I'd look at a 105mm (~4.125") bore aluminum block with 83mm stroke from a 4.8 litre truck engine. The result is a big bore 5.7. You could put LS7 heads on it with a top shelf valvetrain and run it to 8000.
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

And that would suit the car perfectly. I might have to look for a core engine to build now.

I quoted you and posted in the RX7 thread in other cars. Just trying to minimize the off topic in this thread.