Turbocharging our 1992 Lumina Z34 5-speed

Talk about your other cars here.

Moderator: crzyone

Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Well I did a little quick research, and this is what I came up with:

the .4 or .5 refers to the pressure in BAR for the wastegate. So I would need a .4 to start with, and I'd like to upgrade to .5 once it gets running right. I will have a .6 for track days and such, and the dyno, but .5 everyday is quite enough I think, that is over 7psi.

.25Bar (3.63 psi), .4Bar (5.80 psi), .5Bar (7.25 psi), .6Bar (8.70 psi), .7Bar (10.15 psi), .8Bar (11.60psi), .9Bar (13.05 psi), 1.0Bar (14.50 psi)

You order BOV in the same way, set for a certain pressure I guess.
Kohburn
FierHo

Post by Kohburn »

BOV's are adjustable

and with a boost controller so are the wastegates so you buy the wastegate for the lowest boost level you plan to run then use the boost controller to up it
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I'd be fine with just using springs though, they are pretty easy to install, and I will put in a place where I can reach it. Once I put it together, and get it running right, I don't want to have to open the hood again.

A lot of the wastegates on Ebay let you buy 3- 4 springs with it, so that is what I'll be doing. Then I can get it running right on low boost, then up it later on, and leave it.

I hope to do this over X-mas break, so I am looking forward to doing it!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Well after a lot of research, we have chosen the turbocharger, and you all are going to KILL ME.

Garrett GT35r with a T4 turbine, compressor 82mm 56 trim, .70 a/r. Turbine 68mm 84 trim, .82 a/r. Maximum efficiency at 7psi of boost should be just above 80% from 4600rpm to 6800rpm, which is AWESOME. Few turbochargers even breach 75%!

It is about $1400, but the entire kit will be just about $2500, $3000 max, and that includes the Tial wastegate, some brand of BOV, custom Y-pipe crossover, full 3" exhaust dualed to 2.5s, 2.5" charge piping, front mount intercooler, and a chip burned by Darth Fiero. I might even bump up the boost to 8-9, so long as the chip can do it. I'll keep updating once I've boughten the parts and am starting on it. I'd like to do it over X-mas break, but I may not be able to, in which case it'd haev to wait until summertime...bah...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

That is the best suited turbo and one of the mose efficient for a 3.4. Now buy it. :afrocool:
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:That is the best suited turbo and one of the mose efficient for a 3.4. Now buy it. :afrocool:
I want to get my chip out before I do, and I need to make sure my dad is ready, and really wants to do this. He has considering selling the car to buy a 2005 Silverado SS...

But, I could always turn around and sell the kit for $4000...
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

crzyone wrote:That is the best suited turbo and one of the mose efficient for a 3.4. Now buy it. :afrocool:
Hrmmm. The guys over at Pfiffle seem to think different. I did a lot of research on this, and everything I did pointed straight at the 35r. Yet they are positive that a 30r is too big...

I'm thinking it may be their nieveness on the 3.4 DOHC and its flowing capacities, but it could also be my nieveness in turbochargers.

I'm not doubting myself here, I more want to get opinions from more people. I know first hand how much it sucks to have a turbo that isn't sized correctly, and anything I can do to avoid it is good. But I want 4000-7000rpm spread. Below 4 doesn't matter, although according to everything I've seen so far, this turbo will do fine at anything above 3.

Here is the thread for comparison, the action starts towards the bottom of the page right after I post pics of the turbo.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/066053.html

What do you guys think, honestly?
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

Well, there are 4cyl cars running GT35Rs. The GT35 might be big for what you plan to use it for, around 10psi or 80hp, but if you wanted to make big power, like 400hp, this turbo will do that as well.
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

If it didn't come from a SAAB or an 80s ford, it's too big for those assholes.

I'm not going to do the math for you though. :la:

Aaron wrote:
Hrmmm. The guys over at Pfiffle seem to think different. I did a lot of research on this, and everything I did pointed straight at the 35r. Yet they are positive that a 30r is too big...

I'm thinking it may be their nieveness on the 3.4 DOHC and its flowing capacities, but it could also be my nieveness in turbochargers.

I'm not doubting myself here, I more want to get opinions from more people. I know first hand how much it sucks to have a turbo that isn't sized correctly, and anything I can do to avoid it is good. But I want 4000-7000rpm spread. Below 4 doesn't matter, although according to everything I've seen so far, this turbo will do fine at anything above 3.

Here is the thread for comparison, the action starts towards the bottom of the page right after I post pics of the turbo.

http://www.fiero.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/066053.html

What do you guys think, honestly?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

HAHAHAHA, that is what I was thinking!

He has since decided it is easier to help a guy who bought a turbo made for 160hp 2.3l I4 that doesn't know a fuck about anything. And God its a terrible turbo...
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

GT35R on a 2.4dohc SRT-4. Yup, must be too big for a 3.4dohc

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173032
crzyone
JDM Power FTW

Post by crzyone »

"As far as comparing it to the EVO VIII we have here in house its kind of a diffrent animal. Our shop Evo puts down 775 whp on A GT42R and just ran a 9.92@145 on drag radials. but the potential of this car is up there."

Read that on page 3 of that thread. You heard it right, a GT42R on a 2L engine.

But it has bad lag out of the hole.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

You are right. nocutt is just trying to find me a street turbo that will spool at 2000, and the power will drop off after 5500. Great for a 3800. But I bought the DOHC for 7000rpm, not for its mad low end. And modding the car for low end is in fact hurting the car's entire powerband, and limiting its max power severly. I want to exagerrate where it pulls hardest, and help it pull strong to redline.

I'm set on the 35r with the T4 turbine, now it is just a matter of time.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Update.

My Dad likes the idea, the only thing he doesn't like is having to move the battery to the trunk, which is all but essential. So I thought about it, and I can keep the battery, and turbocharge the Lumina, the only drawback would be that it isn't intercooled. Yah, it bugs me too. But, think of it this way. I'm using one the most efficient turboes made, and am running low boost. I think that the intercooler would honestly be more for show and allowing me to say turbocharged/intercooled. How much it really does it probably minimal. In addition, every component will be ceramic coated and probably wrapped, the turbo is water cooled, and the underhood temps of the Z34 are pretty cool due to the extractors, they promote airflow well.

I'm tossing it around right now. I'd liek to itnercool it, but it is by no means necessary I don't think. What do you all think? Make my Dad live with it, spend the extra $800-$1000 and intercool it, or just go non?
eHoward
Banned

Post by eHoward »

That's fucking stupid. I'm not going to do intercooler math for you. You know how to multiply, right?

He's fine letting you put a turbocharger on the vehicle, but OH NOES OPtima in the Trizunk!

If I was doing something similar like that for my father and he said something so incredibly dumb to me, I would tell him to find another idiot to do the work.
Aaron wrote:Update.

My Dad likes the idea, the only thing he doesn't like is having to move the battery to the trunk, which is all but essential. So I thought about it, and I can keep the battery, and turbocharge the Lumina, the only drawback would be that it isn't intercooled. Yah, it bugs me too. But, think of it this way. I'm using one the most efficient turboes made, and am running low boost. I think that the intercooler would honestly be more for show and allowing me to say turbocharged/intercooled. How much it really does it probably minimal. In addition, every component will be ceramic coated and probably wrapped, the turbo is water cooled, and the underhood temps of the Z34 are pretty cool due to the extractors, they promote airflow well.

I'm tossing it around right now. I'd liek to itnercool it, but it is by no means necessary I don't think. What do you all think? Make my Dad live with it, spend the extra $800-$1000 and intercool it, or just go non?
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

eHoward wrote:That's fucking stupid. I'm not going to do intercooler math for you. You know how to multiply, right?

He's fine letting you put a turbocharger on the vehicle, but OH NOES OPtima in the Trizunk!

If I was doing something similar like that for my father and he said something so incredibly dumb to me, I would tell him to find another idiot to do the work.
Aaron wrote:Update.

I agree *shrugs shoulders*

It ALREADY has an Optima too!!!

Basically, we ran into some bad experiences with my battery relocation, and he doesn't like it. I'm sure it could be done much better than I had it, but it still has its negative effects, mainly on the charging system IMHO.

I would love to intercool it, but my dad has his ways, and he likes the ideas of reversible modifications that you don't know are there. But the fact that the car has a salvage title and a brand new motor makes him a little more apt to do it. I might be able to convince him, but I'm not sure. I'll surely try.

I want to do it, but it is a lot cheaper not to, and a lot easier.

I've also been considering an air/water IC, it'd probably still be cheaper as I don't have mandrel bent aluminum piping running all over hell's half acre. My dad wants an intercooler, but the only way I know of to get 2 2.5" pipes to the front of the car is via the fender. And I'd also like to run the filter there, and that's another 3-4" pipe...

If I was using A/W, I might be able to fit a barrel type without moving the battery or anything. Or here's another idea. I always wanted to do a 91-95 custom plenum anyways:

Gut the 91-95 plenum. Move the throttle body and make a custom arm to go off the end of it, much like a 96. Runt he charge pipe and barrel intercooler parallel to the stock crossover, just above it.

See crappy photoshop/paint rendering:

Heat soak would be a problem, everything would have to be pretty wrapped up, but it could work!
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

This is a link that Cryzone posted at teh Pfiffle.

I'm thinking I need more than 320cfm, considering the CFM of the 3.4 at 7000rpm, 90% VE, 7psi (1.48Pr), is 560cfm. So I would need the 920cfm, 6: wide one. Now with the stock throttle body, I think I could fit it...

I'm thinking the header, coolant line, and CAI need to go, but other than that, I think I can make it work!

Then just find a place for a filter, and it could be done. Tight fit for sure, but it'd be worth it...WHat do you all think?