Finally dynoed my turbo 3.4 dohc....430 rwhp!

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

FerrariFan

Finally dynoed my turbo 3.4 dohc....430 rwhp!

Post by FerrariFan »

hey guys, I haven't posted in a while but I thought I'd share the latest news from my 355 rebody.
After a custom turbo install and a slipping clutch and some tuning issues I decided to get some help. I took the car to Jeff Ianitello
(Engineered Performance) at Woodstock, GA. Coincidentally he's just a few doors down from Whodeanies's shop.

He installed a Limited Slip Diff in the 282 Getrag and upgraded the clutch to a Spec Stage 3 with an Fidenza aluminum flywheel.
After lot's of chasing vacuum leaks and IAC problems he finally got some serious $8f tuning time in and got her to the dyno.

It makes a solid 430HP at the rear wheels with zero knock retard on 91 octane pump gas.
My goal was 380 HP since that's the output of the 355's engine at the crank, anything over that is gravy. Lays a nice double line on the road thanks to the LSD :)

Here's a link to the dyno graph and some pics of the engine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10357796696 ... directlink
My Fiero's faster than your Fiero. The end.
Shaun41178(2)

Re: Finally dynoed my turbo 3.4 dohc....430 rwhp!

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

excellent looking car. And awesome numbers. Just 12 lbs and 430 whp. What size turbo? Setup looks real clean. Is this a true lsd or like one of those phantom grip thingies?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
BoostGT

Post by BoostGT »

Solid looking kit car in general any sound clips? Id imagine its pretty awesome sounding.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

thanks for the complements. I spent more hours than I can count and more money than I want to think about getting this car to where it is today. It's finally taking shape to be the car I had envisioned when I started 5 years ago.
About the LSD, "It is a true clutch-type, pre-loaded limited slip." Well worth it. No drama burnouts and tracks straight on launch. As far as I know they are only available from Jeff Ianitello.
More info here.
http://www.engineered.net/eplsd.htm

I'll work on getting that sound clip.
The Dark Side of Will
Peer Mediator

Post by The Dark Side of Will »

The EP LSD is almost a clutch type limited slip. It's as close as we can get in our FWD gearboxes.

Jeff machines the diff carrier and side gears so that he can replace the stock thin steel thrust washers with bronze friction surfaces. He then uses springs and hardened plates similar to a PG unit to push the side gears against these friction disks. So it's like a PG except better, but not quite like an OE posi, either. I have one ready to go into the Northstar car's gearbox with 3.94 FD.

It may take him several months to get your diff back to you, depending on how recently he's paid his suppliers. I have experienced this phenomenon consistently over three purchases with him (two for customers, one for myself).
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Since some have asked about mods to the engine here's the list off the top of my head.

Garrett 3076R turbo and intercooler
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidenza aluminum flywheel
custom short runner intake
LS1 throttle body
GM 7727 PCM with $8f
Greddy Profec boost controller
Tial wastegate
Greddy blowoff valve
Innovate wideband
42lb injectors
walbro fuel pump
powersteering delete pulley
undersized pulley
Last edited by FerrariFan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
fieroguru

Post by fieroguru »

That looks like a pretty sweet install with some impressive numbers. At 430 whp, you have plenty of power to break stuff (tranny/axles) if you drive it like like you stole it. Avoid clutch drops and burn outs and you should be able to enjoy many WOT blasts.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Avoid clutch drops and burn outs and you should be able to enjoy many WOT blasts.
sounds like good advice.
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

Do you know how much timing you are running at redline?

Also I am sure you probably don't care, but I looked up that turbo, and on the boost you are running, its pretty much maxed out. If the garret site is correct, thats a 57mm compressor wheel good for about 500 hp on that boost level. Well 500 efficiently but it could do more it would just create more heat. REason I say you probably don't care is because I imagine you are satisfied with that hp level, and it spools quickly.

Very nice setup, and good numbers. The dohc motor responds very well to boost.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Your right about the turbo, I checked a bunch of compressor maps for all kinds of turbos. I chose the 3076R because I wanted to be operating in the max efficiency zone of the compressor map. A lot of import guys are running the big brother GT35R but that's only good if your going to be driving around at 9000rpm! LOL
I'll have to check in Tunerpro to see what timing I'm running.
Last edited by FerrariFan on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

FerrariFan wrote:Your right about the turbo, I checked a bunch of compressor maps for all kinds of turbos. I chose the 32-76R because I wanted to be operating in the max efficiency zone of the compressor map. A lot of import guys are running the big brother GT35R but that's only good if your going to be driving around at 9000rpm! LOL
I'll have to check in Tunerpro to see what timing I'm running.
First, very clean rebody, that's one of the best I've seen.

Nice install, you used top shelf components and the fabrication looks great too. I wouldn't go that far, the 35R is actually very well suited to the 3.4 DOHC. Mine starts coming on at 3500, right with the motor. By 4000 its getting serious, and by 4500 its fucking rocking. But below 3500 its pretty much identical to a stock 3.4 DOHC. It goes strong to 7500rpm, though I've been trying to keep it below 7!
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Thanks. There's no substitute for good quality components. The 9000 rpm comment was for the ricers running 2.0L 4 bangers. If your engine is built for 7500 rpm redline then the GT35 would make sense. If you look at the dyno graph you can see the turbo start making boost right around 2000 rpm, the ball bearing turbo plus the aluminum flywheel really makes boost fast. Are you running $8f too?
Unsafe At Any Speed

Post by Unsafe At Any Speed »

Really nice looking car and good numbers! ...and on a Fiero forum? wha!?

But really, nice build. Cars like this make me want to get back to work on my Fiero.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Shaun41178(2) wrote:Do you know how much timing you are running at redline?
23 degrees. There's probably more in it but your right, After 400 I really don't care, much more than that is just getting greedy. :-D

Unsafe At Any Speed wrote:Really nice looking car and good numbers! ...and on a Fiero forum? wha!?
What's wrong with the Fiero anyway? never did figure out why the Fiero gets so little respect from the traditional hot-rodders. On top of that I added insult to injury by building a kitcar! I almost wish I'd left the body stock just so I could see the look on some poor douches face when I spank his brand new Camaro or Mustang or whatever. :P
cactus bastard

Post by cactus bastard »

Nothing wrong with Fieros per se, but the attitudes of a lot of Fiero owners have sort of spoiled the image. Too many cheap bastards who refuse to spend more than a couple grand on their cars, yet somehow have this crazy elitist belief that nothing else can touch it. And then even the ones who do lay down some cash... tend to spend it very poorly.
Why would you eat bad ice cream?
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

cactus bastard wrote:Nothing wrong with Fieros per se, but the attitudes of a lot of Fiero owners have sort of spoiled the image. Too many cheap bastards who refuse to spend more than a couple grand on their cars, yet somehow have this crazy elitist belief that nothing else can touch it. And then even the ones who do lay down some cash... tend to spend it very poorly.
Agreed. I think you nailed it on the head.
Emc209i

Post by Emc209i »

Are you planning on going to any of the Tennessee gatherings? I noticed the Eastern Tennessee meet advert in the events section at the other forum and was thinking about puttering over there. Would love to look your swap over. :)
Aaron
I just wanna ride my motorcycle

Post by Aaron »

Definitely better than mine, my boost starts at about 3200, and is full by 4000. But I also have 7,000ft altitude working against me, I notice even by going down to 5,000 it starts much quicker. I also have ball bearings and an aluminum flywheel, which helps keep the 35R tolerable at this altitude, A stock 3.4 with an off the shelf diesel turbo would be hell to drive everyday at this altitude.

I'm actually running a unique system. I've got 94-95 SFI, with a Darth chip to control the 42.5# injectors. I've then got a Split Second FTC1 timing/fuel piggyback. I've got it set to where it does nothing until boost starts coming on, then it adjusts the MAF signal slightly, just enough to get a good 12:1 AFR. Starts great every time, and once warmed up runs like a stock motor. When its cold its a little bitchy, it likes to go lean (16-17) on light acceleration. But give the 94-95 heated O2 just a minute and its up to temp, and from there on its perfect.

The only problem is that the piggyback does not compensate for outside air pressure. So whenever I change my elevation, I have to flash the piggyback. Otherwise the threshold between N/A and boost is off, and the piggyback starts changing the MAF signal before boost comes on, or a bit after, which makes for some chugging and lean/rich vacuum to boost changes. But being that I rarely move the car to different elevations, and I've got the tunes all saved for when I do, its actually been doing pretty well.
88GT 3.4 DOHC Turbo
Gooch wrote:Way to go douche. You are like a one-man, fiero-destroying machine.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Aaron wrote:Definitely better than mine, my boost starts at about 3200, and is full by 4000. But I also have 7,000ft altitude working against me...
7000 feet! Wow, hard to breath up there I bet. If you had that turbo/engine down at sea level it would be a monster! By coincidence I used to run a Split Second FTC on my car back when it was NA ODBII/MAF. I wanted to simplify things so I converted it to ODB1/MAP $8f, still have the FTC sitting in my garage. Not sure if it's any simpler to tune but once it's dialed in it seems pretty solid. I'll see what happens to the tune when it starts getting cold, hopefully everything will be compensated for. I actually have been following your threads for a while now, I've copied a bunch of different ideas to get it where it's at today. That's what's so cool about these engine swaps, there's a ton of different ways to achieve similar results. :good:
Emc209i wrote:Are you planning on going to any of the Tennessee gatherings? I noticed the Eastern Tennessee meet advert in the events section at the other forum and was thinking about puttering over there. Would love to look your swap over. :)
It is a possiblity, I'll have to see what my schedule starts to look like when it gets a little closer.
FerrariFan

Post by FerrariFan »

Just posted a vid. Sights and sounds of my car on the backroads of Kentucky :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsaPtDyFud8