replacing my 3900 exhaust, need advise

Real tech discussion on design, fabrication, testing, development of custom or adapted parts for Pontiac Fieros. Not questions about the power a CAI will give.

Moderators: The Dark Side of Will, Series8217

Sinister Fiero

Re: replacing my 3900 exhaust, need advise

Post by Sinister Fiero »

chuck wrote:I got the 3900 dyno'd. Sorry sinister, the shop talked me into just making the changes.
Why are you apologizing to me?
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

u able to post up the graph of the dyno runs?
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
chuck

Post by chuck »

we were talking about you doing the tune through the mail but the shop that did it last time wanted another go at it. I was still going to send the chip in today to have a few changes made and have you take a look at things but there is a car show on the first so it'll have to wait another week. I did get to the quarter mile but due to a flat on a buddy's trailer we got there late and it was pretty hot and humid out. the best run I had was 13.88 and I bounced off the rev limiter. I'm going to need that raised a little bit because the 1-2 shift is too much drop for the engine so I need to really wind out first gear to keep me above 3,300 in second. 2-3 shift is good, I can get away with shifting around 6,000rpm. I have a hesitation after throtttle tip in under light throttle. Fuel economy is good but I figured since it's there I may as well have highway fuel mode turned on. I'm still a little low on power according to sappy/60degree's estimate but at this point it probably is what it is unless I start raising compression or turbo. The tuner printed out the tune and max timing is 39*. Superdaves is 34* if I remember right. That's why I would feel better if you at least looked things over. I'll have it in the mail next week.
chuck

Post by chuck »

I can email the dyno graph if you want to post it. I got a new computer and am having problems.
Sinister Fiero

Post by Sinister Fiero »

chuck wrote:we were talking about you doing the tune through the mail but the shop that did it last time wanted another go at it.
I have absolutely no problem with that. No apology was needed.
chuck wrote: I was still going to send the chip in today to have a few changes made and have you take a look at things but there is a car show on the first so it'll have to wait another week. I did get to the quarter mile but due to a flat on a buddy's trailer we got there late and it was pretty hot and humid out. the best run I had was 13.88 and I bounced off the rev limiter. I'm going to need that raised a little bit because the 1-2 shift is too much drop for the engine so I need to really wind out first gear to keep me above 3,300 in second. 2-3 shift is good, I can get away with shifting around 6,000rpm. I have a hesitation after throtttle tip in under light throttle. Fuel economy is good but I figured since it's there I may as well have highway fuel mode turned on. I'm still a little low on power according to sappy/60degree's estimate but at this point it probably is what it is unless I start raising compression or turbo. The tuner printed out the tune and max timing is 39*. Superdaves is 34* if I remember right. That's why I would feel better if you at least looked things over. I'll have it in the mail next week.
I would be happy to look things over. But it would be better if you could get a scan log and send that too (something that shows knock retard, fuel trims, and O2 mv / wideband O2 readings). If you just send me a copy of the tune; I will be able to tell you what things are set to, but I have no idea if your engine actually likes these settings or not. Should be no problem in raising the rev limiter tho...

Let me know.

-ryan
Shaun41178(2)

Post by Shaun41178(2) »

chuck wrote:I can email the dyno graph if you want to post it. I got a new computer and am having problems.
When you make a post, right under the submit button there are two tabs. one is labeled "options" and the other "upload attachment" Click on the upload attachment, and you can upload a pic onto the site, right from your computer.
FieroPhrek working on that ls4 swap for 18 years and counting now. 18 years!!!!! LOL

530 whp is greater than 312
chuck

Post by chuck »

this is both. low one is last year with stock cam and shorty headers. The high one is cam, long headers and 3.73 gears
Attachments
dyno.jpg
dyno.jpg (94.19 KiB) Viewed 2040 times
chuck

Post by chuck »

my iphone doesn't like time slips but
60'-2.026
330-5.797
1/8-8.892
mph-79.80
1000-11.595
1/4-13.886
mph-96.58
Any advise is appreciated. I tried power braking on the second run but creeped and lost the staging light. third run I shifted early to avoid the rev limiter but ran a 13.96. I'll practice a bit and have those few issues looked at and go back when it's cooler.
fieromadman

Post by fieromadman »

Looks like a decent power improvement Josh, and the 1/4 miles times aren't bad. I'm sure there is room for improvement!
*SOLD* 95 3.4 DOHC- 96-97 p&p lower intake, custom upper intake, custom cams, ported exh manis, 180* t-stat.
T-62 Turbonetics T3/T4, air-liquid intercooled, Synapse 40mm, Greddy RS, Haltech E6K.
1987 GT, lowered, KYB's, clutchnet 6 puck, G/A brakes
chuck

Post by chuck »

Thanks, I'm thinking with some fine tuning, cooler weather and a better launch it'll do 13.5 but I don't know where to go from there. I do have a 4speed manual but I'm not ready for that yet.